Thread: Steelers by Position: Cornerbacks

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Steelers by Position: Cornerbacks

Steelers-By-Position: CBs

Posted Mar 5, 2018
    Bob Labriola Steelers.com @BobLabriola

The Steelers have invested draft capital and money to shore up this unit's depth chart.

Another in a position-by-position series in advance of the start of free agency on March 14.

CORNERBACKS – (10)
    Brian Allen, Artie Burns, Antonio Crawford, Greg Ducre, Will Gay, Joe Haden, Mike Hilton, Dashaun Phillips, Coty Sensabaugh, Cam Sutton
    (Free Agent Scorecard: 1; 1 restricted – Greg Ducre)

A LAST LOOK AT 2017
    The Steelers opened the regular season with six cornerbacks on their 53-man roster, and a seventh, Cam Sutton came to be the IR-designated to return player when he was activated for the Dec. 4 game against the Cincinnati Bengals. The unit also got a big boost right before the start of the regular season when the Steelers quickly signed Joe Haden to a three-year contract and installed him as the starter opposite Artie Burns after the Browns cut the guy they picked seventh overall in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Of the team’s top seven cornerbacks from 2017, six of them were in their first or second years with the team. And of those six, four of them were 24 or younger when the season ended, and the other two were both under 30.

It’s fair to compare what the Steelers are trying to do here with what the team accomplished a few years ago with the offensive line in terms of upgrading the talent and then going all-in to develop those young guys. Burns and Haden entered the league as No. 1 picks, and Cam Sutton was a No. 3 pick, which represents a decent commitment in terms of draft capital to the upgrading of the position.

The cornerbacks combined for six of the team’s 16 interceptions and 33 of the 80 passes defensed, and those numbers need to be higher. But what can be said today about the cornerbacks that couldn’t be said about them one calendar year ago is that the guys at the top of the depth chart are capable of playing man-to-man coverage. Maybe not flawlessly, and maybe it still must get better, but well enough for man-to-man coverage at least to be a change-up option for the defense.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.steelers.com/news/labriol...6-0574905ac39a

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Re: Steelers by Position: Cornerbacks

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    It is strange to say, but CB is the one position that I don't want to see the Steelers draft this year. Burns, Haden, Hilton, and Sutton make this a pretty deep position for us. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Allen steps up this year.

Yeah, it went from a position of dire need and a complete lack of talent, to a group that includes a very solid veteran and a bunch of talented young players that have shown some skills and have plenty of potential to still cultivate and improve. There is even some position flexibility to have one or two of these guys play safety down the road. I like where they're at right now, and hope they make more strides this year.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Joe Haden 'training like never before' in Year 2 with Steelers

Apr 21, 2018
    Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- After battling injuries over the past two offseasons, Joe Haden plans to make up for lost time.

The Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback said he took one week off after the regular season ended, and after morning beach workouts in Southern California, Haden is with his teammates for Phase One of voluntary workouts.

If the Steelers want to play more man coverage in 2018, which Haden suspects, the 29-year-old corner said he's "good with it," thanks to his clean injury slate.

"My groin’s good. My knee’s good. I’m feeling healthy," Haden said. "I was able to get a full offseason workout. My last two offseasons I haven’t been able to train like I wanted to. This year, I got after training like I never have before."

to read rest of article:

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...-with-steelers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If Haden plays like an 11 million dollar corner, maybe the defense can force some turnovers.

I really like Haden as a person and a player, but as closely as many watch the $$$$ when it comes to Bell, Dupree, and others (remember when Gilbert and Heywards extensions were called too expensive?) it seems odd that no one mentions how overpaid Haden is.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    If Haden plays like an 11 million dollar corner, maybe the defense can force some turnovers.

I really like Haden as a person and a player, but as closely as many watch the $$$$ when it comes to Bell, Dupree, and others (remember when Gilbert and Heywards extensions were called too expensive?) it seems odd that no one mentions how overpaid Haden is.
    They are all over paid.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

There was a stat from last season.

When Haden played, the Steelers were first in ppg allowed.

When Haden was out, the Steelers were 31st in ppg allowed.

#worththemoney

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

10 is a lot ... ( gay gone so 9 now )

but of those 9 only 2 proven to be worth their salt ( Haden and Hilton ) ...Sutton I have high hopes for and Allen could still be something but the rest ( including Burns) has the burden of proof laid in their laps because I am not a believer yet .... when looking at it that way we have room for another guy and let them battle it out ..

would not mind Springs late in the draft to compete , my guess is he could knock someone off the roster fairly easy
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    10 is a lot ... ( gay gone so 9 now )

but of those 9 only 2 proven to be worth their salt ( Haden and Hilton ) ...Sutton I have high hopes for and Allen could still be something but the rest ( including Burns) has the burden of proof laid in their laps because I am not a believer yet .... when looking at it that way we have room for another guy and let them battle it out ..

would not mind Springs late in the draft to compete , my guess is he could knock someone off the roster fairly easy

I think that there is still much to be proven by the young corners on this team. My statement above about liking the position they're in right now has more to do with the state of the position a couple years ago compared to now. They do have much more talent at the position than they did before.

I still think they will take a corner in this draft. They may even take one early. If the talk about Sutton moving to safety has merit, getting another quality CB makes perfect sense. If there is truth to it, and believe Sutton or maybe even Haden will be moved to safety relatively soon, they will draft a CB and maybe they won't be in the market for a safety in this draft like everyone seems to be thinking. I don't have any proof of that, I'm simply stating a possibility based on conversation by those close to the team and in the article I linked in the original post.

We never truly know what the organization is thinking or what their plans are. We know how we feel about players in the draft, but we don't always know what the team has in mind as team needs and the way they have players rated.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think that there is still much to be proven by the young corners on this team. My statement above about liking the position they're in right now has more to do with the state of the position a couple years ago compared to now. They do have much more talent at the position than they did before.

I still think they will take a corner in this draft. They may even take one early. If the talk about Sutton moving to safety has merit, getting another quality CB makes perfect sense. If there is truth to it, and believe Sutton or maybe even Haden will be moved to safety relatively soon, they will draft a CB and maybe they won't be in the market for a safety in this draft like everyone seems to be thinking. I don't have any proof of that, I'm simply stating a possibility based on conversation by those close to the team and in the article I linked in the original post.

We never truly know what the organization is thinking or what their plans are. We know how we feel about players in the draft, but we don't always know what the team has in mind as team needs and the way they have players rated.
    all to true
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

At most they may need depth at the bottom of the chart. No need to draft at this position

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There is a lot of buzz about Jaire Alexander (CB, Louisville) to the Steelers...

(His tomfoolery on Twitter is JuJu-esque.)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    There is a lot of buzz about Jaire Alexander (CB, Louisville) to the Steelers...

I keep hearing Mike Hughes from UCF as a player who has the style of play that the Steelers covet as well.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

There was a stat from last season.

When Haden played, the Steelers were first in ppg allowed.

When Haden was out, the Steelers were 31st in ppg allowed.

#worththemoney
    I have heard that stat as well. And I have never seen a discussion of what the correlation/causation link is there.

If Haden simply being on the field allows them to do things schematically or shift responsibilities around so that it puts everyone in a better position to succeed - then okay. If it is just that Haden is much much better than Coty Sensabaugh -- well so is Cam Sutton. So is half the draft class at the position.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/cornerback/ - everyone who gets 9 million or more per year on that list breaks up or picks up a few to many more passes than Haden. Put it this way, Haden puts up Dre Kirkpatrick #'s in terms of INTS and Passes Defensed. Now is that the end all be all of CB evaluations? Absolutely not, but I have yet to see a detailed argument about what Haden brings other than pedigree and being better than Sensabaugh to the defense.

I suspect it is a great deal. But am not certain what it truly is or what it is worth. All I am saying is that 50% of the Steelers internet is parsing every dime currently spent or proposed to be spent on Dupree and Bell, but everyone just whistles past the graveyard on giving top 20 CB money to Haden. I honestly believe there is still a version of Haden where he ends up being a bargain - but what if a litany of injuries and age have sapped him of "elite" skills...?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I keep hearing Mike Hughes from UCF as a player who has the style of play that the Steelers covet as well.
    Both guys have a demonstrated an ability to do something no current Steelers CB consistently does, intercept the ball. Burns and Haden are alleged to provide that skill - but it has yet to happen. Davis was supposed to as well, but again it doesn't happen all that often.

The bottom line for this version of the Steelers defense is that a great percentage of the turnovers they forced were Shazier related. Just like in a previous era they were Polamalu related. With Shazier removed, they team needs to identify and integrate more players into the defense that can cause turnovers.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Joe Haden planning a big 2018, thanks to a healthy offseason of work

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2018

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eason-of-work/