Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers signed a free agent ILB...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Steelers signed a free agent ILB...

Jon Bostic

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Steelers signed a free agent ILB...

James Farrior was a yawn signing too...let’s hope it works out half that good...

I kind don’t get it though. His weakness was in coverages. Something they need to make up for the loss of Shazier and they went for a good run stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Re: The Steelers signed a free agent ILB...

adds solid depth to the room but he is not " the answer" we are all hoping for ...

can and has started but more of a VW type player than a RS type player , still need a guy who can work coverage and be more successful in doing so ...

Bostic is a snap eater though who rarely comes off the field when healthy and starting .... we are still going to add to the mix is my guess but probably via the draft
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Vince Williams 2.0

Послато са Mi A1 уз помоћ Тапатока

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

He's basically a VW clone. Real good run stopper, can't cover.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Adds much needed depth and for that this is a positive signing. Need a lb that can cover however, though we all knew they needed to add 2 lbs in the off-season anyway

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Competition for the players we have. Like the lead said, not thrilling but useful. When shazier went down and Matakevich was also injured, Spence was brought in and played over Fort. Not a judgement just a fact. I'm not 100% positive Spence would not have played over an uninjured Matakevich as well. This position needs some upgrades and Bostic is brought in to see if he can be just that. He's probably never going to win the starter spot over VW, but could maybe improve the depth and be a factor on ST. Have to wait and see. It is a process. BTW, can Spence fill a box safety role?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

No one on the market aside from Bradham was EVER going to be a true 3 down coverage solution. Those guys don’t hit the open market.

I would argue the gap between someone like Bostic and someone like Demario Davis and others that just got 6-10 million per year really isn’t all that large.

Typical solid but unexciting Colbert solution to a depth chart problem before the draft. Only becomes a big issue if a sideline to sideline cover backer is not added in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Here is the other thing that I like about the Bostic signing - he was on the market because of a scheme change by the Colts not because they just walked away. Most of the other guys to hit the market started for teams that were not that good last year and then had those teams be like “yeah. We are not going to pay that guy that amount of money to play linebacker for us.” Excepting Bradham and MAYBE Williamson, the Steelers just signed the same guy that all the other teams did for far less money.

It only sucks because he isn’t Shazier. But no one on the market was.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Bostic will be good depth.

If if they were going to add a free agent, I was hoping that it would have been Mychal Kendricks.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Thank God Timmons won't be back!

Remember, Colbert said during this year’s scouting combine that he doesn’t believe that this year’s off-the-ball inside linebacker class includes a lot of impactful players so it won’t be totally out of the question to see the team not draft one until either round-two or round-three. Even if the Steelers do draft an inside linebacker in the first round, Bostic’s contract should be cheap enough to warrant him possibly becoming a backup at any point during the 2018 season.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...oving-forward/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He has a pretty good year last year with the Colts. Injuries seem like the main concern.

Here is a film breakdown from Kozora.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...th-jon-bostic/
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Bostic will be good depth.

If if they were going to add a free agent, I was hoping that it would have been Mychal Kendricks.
    Kendricks has yet to be released by the Eagles. While a release is entirely possible, a trade is the most likely outcome. Unfortunately, you are most likely correct, Kendricks is the superior player.

Colbert can't count on a guy under contract becoming available. Plus, while details are still not available, I bet Bostic's contract is such that another LB could be made to work.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    He has a pretty good year last year with the Colts. Injuries seem like the main concern.

Here is a film breakdown from Kozora.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...th-jon-bostic/
    That film breakdown sold me - assuming his knee comes back all the way.

Looks like he isn't a world beater but you can play Bostic all three downs, he can call the plays, doesn't miss tackles, and he will be a league average ILB at worst. No one else on the roster can make those claims.

However, youth and speed still need added to the position group. I would consider Fort as a potential post draft cut. If he wasn't ready for prime-time this season, will he ever be? Matekevich is (for me) never an option to start, but I can see his place on the roster as a special teams ace.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That film breakdown sold me - assuming his knee comes back all the way.

Looks like he isn't a world beater but you can play Bostic all three downs, he can call the plays, doesn't miss tackles, and he will be a league average ILB at worst. No one else on the roster can make those claims.

However, youth and speed still need added to the position group. I would consider Fort as a potential post draft cut. If he wasn't ready for prime-time this season, will he ever be? Matekevich is (for me) never an option to start, but I can see his place on the roster as a special teams ace.
    Seems like an ideal stop gap player until a rookie is ready to step in. I like it.

Still hope they're talking to the Eagles about trading for Kendricks

You're probably right on Fort, I was hoping he'd get a shot at playing when #50 went down after having a very good pre season. Matakevich is almost a lock due to his special teams play.

ILB depth:

VW
    Bostic
    Rookie
    Matakevich
    Rookie/Fort?
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Where are the Kendricks rumors coming from? Are the fabricated here or is there evidence that that is something that is actually possible?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Where are the Kendricks rumors coming from? Are the fabricated here or is there evidence that that is something that is actually possible?
    Speculation based on the Steelers needs and Kendricks’ low price tag for a trade (late-round pick).

Stuff like this:
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...-coming-hours/

And, many tweets.

Speculation based on the Steelers needs and Kendricks’ low price tag for a trade (late-round pick).

Stuff like this:

And, many tweets.
    Speculation that Atlanta and a few other teams are jumping in on this as well.

Don't think Colbert will have the ammo to pull this off if he has to out-bid other teams.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

You can call this signing solid but not spectacular if you want. But another way to look at it is this. Had we had someone of Bostic's ability sitting behind Shazier waiting to go in last year the playoff game against the Jags could have gone a lot differently. Just a couple more stops that game and the Steelers are on their way to Gillette. Sean Spence was little more than an empty uniform. This guy makes plays. I like this a lot!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Stuff like this:

And, many tweets.
    That’s what I thought...just bloggers spreading rumors and message board guys running with it.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    Vince Williams 2.0

Послато са Mi A1 уз помоћ Тапатока
    Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

How does the addition of Jon Bostic change the Steelers' offseason plans?

By: Curt Popejoy

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...eason-plans/4/

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Ain't nothing wrong with that.
    No not at all.

Jon Bostic’s 1st & 2nd Down Career Run Tackle Stats Match Up To Ryan Shazier’s
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/jon-bostics-1st-2nd-down-career-run-tackle-stats-match-up-to-ryan-shaziers/

I do not see Bostic as a long-term answer, but as others have said, he’s a decent stop-gap.

To me, this means that the Steelers will wait until R2 (or maybe even R3) to address ILB. They have nothing (almost literally nothing) as a starter at S. So, that becomes priority #1.

But... this also allows them to draft a QB in R1.

My gut says...
    R1: Mason Rudolph, QB
    R2: Jessie Bates, S
    R3: ILB

I think they’d prefer to get Reid at 28 and then get Rudolph in R2, but there’s no way Rudolph is there at 60.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Bostic was a pretty high draft pick. He was able to do a lot of things in college. He played inside, but could also rush the quarterback a bit from outside. He runs a little better than Williams IMO, but his injuries are a concern. I think this is a very solid signing if he stays healthy.

If the team doesn't address this position in the draft or after the preseason cuts, it would make me think that they believe Shazier might have a chance to be able to return next year. Just a thought.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

They still need a starter that can cover.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    They still need a starter that can cover.
    They can play nickel and dime if needed for coverage. They needed a ILB that was better than Sean Spence at getting to off tackle runs and Bostic may at least be that.
    He is no Shazier, but at least he is better than Spence at this point.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I do not see Bostic as a long-term answer, but as others have said, he’s a decent stop-gap.

To me, this means that the Steelers will wait until R2 (or maybe even R3) to address ILB. They have nothing (almost literally nothing) as a starter at S. So, that becomes priority #1.

But... this also allows them to draft a QB in R1.

My gut says...
    R1: Mason Rudolph, QB
    R2: Jessie Bates, S
    R3: ILB

I think they’d prefer to get Reid at 28 and then get Rudolph in R2, but there’s no way Rudolph is there at 60.
    Something tells me I hope your gut is wrong. I watched Rudolph in the WVU game and looked at some tape and he has an OK arm, but seemed inconsistent. It was interesting to hear Steve Smith at the combine say that he saw several of Rudolphs throws sail in some film study that he did. Mayock talks about his deep ball accuracy, but didn't say much about his 20 yard and under throws.

IMO, Rudolph takes his left hand off the ball early a lot of times and is just throwing with all right arm and shoulder. He doesn't get legs, hip turn, shoulder rotation, arm all working in the same direction and it is inconsistent. As much as I am not a Mayfield fan of his footwork....when Baker Mayfield gets his feet set in the right direction and throws in rythmn, he puts it all together in terms of mechanics. I don't see a lot of that with Rudolph. I like Mike White better as a QB.