Thread: Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict facing 4-game suspension for PED use

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict facing 4-game suspension for PED use

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6. Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict facing 4-game suspension for PED use

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

He's juicing up for that next meeting with JuJu.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Let me guess, the league is targeting him and he's a misunderstood player

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Dirtiest player in the league accused of cheating? Guy who acts like he has constant roid rage accused of taking steroids? Dude with shit for brains accused of doing something stupid? Color me shocked on all three fronts. It's almost like he was trying to go for the hat trick of being a dickhead.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Contract extension coming soon!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He’s probably just too dumb to realize what he took...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Contract extension coming soon!
    Nope, Chucky wants him in Oakland!

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Nope, Chucky wants him in Oakland!
    That was before the PED suspension came out.

That was before the PED suspension came out.
    Yep. With his other issues and suspensions and now this, he's in for a rude awakening, I think.

EDIT: Okay, I just went and read a little about what is actually going on with him. Seems it wasn't 'roids at all. He was being treated for two different things, the concussion and a shoulder issue and was taking drugs prescribed to him. The disputed drug test in which he popped positive was given after he'd already been ruled out for the season. (Read, last game). I think there's more smoke than fire here. Doesn't mean he isn't responsible for what gets put into his body, but I think it may turn out not to be such a big deal. He'll either stay with the Bungles or land on another team after everything comes out in the wash.

For instance, one such drug that might be given for a concussion, which is banned by the NFL unless a waiver is obtained, is amphetamines.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Gruden/Oakland has broken off talks after the PED thing came out.

Like I said...he was too stupid to know what he was putting in his body.

These guys should only take things that’s officially approved by the NFL. Sure they can send stuff in and have it checked but the NFLs standard response is, looks okay but take at your own risk...which is probably what happened.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Bengals gave him an extension last year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yep. With his other issues and suspensions and now this, he's in for a rude awakening, I think.

EDIT: Okay, I just went and read a little about what is actually going on with him. Seems it wasn't 'roids at all. He was being treated for two different things, the concussion and a shoulder issue and was taking drugs prescribed to him. The disputed drug test in which he popped positive was given after he'd already been ruled out for the season. (Read, last game). I think there's more smoke than fire here. Doesn't mean he isn't responsible for what gets put into his body, but I think it may turn out not to be such a big deal. He'll either stay with the Bungles or land on another team after everything comes out in the wash.

For instance, one such drug that might be given for a concussion, which is banned by the NFL unless a waiver is obtained, is amphetamines.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nt-hold-water/

as of December 27, Burfict hadn’t been ruled out for the season. Two days later, Burfict appeared on they injury report as doubtful, which indicates a 25-percent chance of playing. On December 30, Burfict was downgraded to out.Perhaps more importantly, a player’s playing status has no relevance to the requirement that, 365 days per year, players cannot have banned substances in their system. Likewise, the league has specific procedures for obtaining permission to take prescription medications that are otherwise banned by the PED policy. There’s no indication that Burfict successfully complied with any and all requirements to obtain permission to take something that team doctors should have known are prohibited.

According to Florio so take it for what it's worth.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nt-hold-water/

According to Florio so take it for what it's worth.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    If that's true, it changes things a little. Still, most players who are at doubtful and are downgraded to out pretty much know they're out. So, whatever this is, I doubt it's a "trying to get an edge on the opponent" type issue. Still doesn't change the fact he took something he wasn't supposed to, but it does change how team will look at him in the future, I think. They'll be more likely to overlook it than if it was him being busted for steroids in the middle of a playoff run while he was blowing up the league. Wait, Bengals. Playoff run. Sorry, let me make it more realistic... in the middle of the season while he was blowing up the balance sheet for on-field fines.

(Above in response to article, not at you, Steelersfan. Thanks for posting it.)
    Last edited by Craic; 03-17-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

As yiu note, Burfict was playing through December 24 and tested positive on December 27

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...league-sources

Unless he started taking the meds on Christmas Eve night good luck arguing there was no possible competitive advantage from taking prohibited substances - hard to believe that whoever prescribed the meds would not cross-reference the meds with banned substances

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This league standard is that a missed test is the same result as a positive test. I do not think they will be any more tolerant for a banned substance however it was prescribed. It is zero tolerance. There will be a punishment/suspension of some sort here. Just working out details at this point. Have to get all the legal I's dotted and T's crossed.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

He will get suspended and the Bengals won't care IF it is a medication mix-up. The rumored trade with Oakland is likely scuttled and didn't the Bengals just sign someone that plays the same position?

The penny might still drop here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    He will get suspended and the Bengals won't care IF it is a medication mix-up. The rumored trade with Oakland is likely scuttled and didn't the Bengals just sign someone that plays the same position?

The penny might still drop here...
    The Bengals just signed Preston Brown.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Bengals just signed Preston Brown.
    That’s what I was thinking of. Thanks.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Where's the Crying Bengals Fan?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Where's the Crying Bengals Fan?
    They're trying to figure out how the Univ. of Cincinnati blew a 22 point lead in the NCAA tourney. Rumor has it that Marvin Lewis was seen sitting by bench coaching toward end of game ! LOL

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    They're trying to figure out how the Univ. of Cincinnati blew a 22 point lead in the NCAA tourney. Rumor has it that Marvin Lewis was seen sitting by bench coaching toward end of game ! LOL
    Yep - after Xavier and U Cinn both gagged up leads late Burfict is not the focus of concerns there today

Considering such past debacles as the Bengals giving up the late lead to the 49ers in a Super Bowl, Carson Palmer having his knee blown out by Kimo in the playoffs, and Pacman + Burfict losing their minds 2 years ago this is a surprising observation from a Cincy writer

Sunday was the worst night in the modern history of Cincinnati sports

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ory/436957002/

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Yep - after Xavier and U Cinn both gagged up leads late Burfict is not the focus of concerns there today

Considering such past debacles as the Bengals giving up the late lead to the 49ers in a Super Bowl, Carson Palmer having his knee blown out by Kimo in the playoffs, and Pacman + Burfict losing their minds 2 years ago this is a surprising observation from a Cincy writer

Sunday was the worst night in the modern history of Cincinnati sports

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ory/436957002/
    I wouldn't say that. After all, Cincy is used to the Bungles blowing leads. It's the fear that Bungholeyness is spreading to other Cincy teams that causes these observations!

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I wouldn't say that. After all, Cincy is used to the Bungles blowing leads. It's the fear that Bungholeyness is spreading to other Cincy teams that causes these observations!
    LOL --- Believe it or not, this is EXACTLY what they are talking about on cincy radio stations. I love it !!!! They are thinking there is a curse of some sort, I'm betting on a bunghole player and/or bunghole fan abused the 'Terrible Towel'.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    LOL --- Believe it or not, this is EXACTLY what they are talking about on cincy radio stations. I love it !!!! They are thinking there is a curse of some sort, I'm betting on a bunghole player and/or bunghole fan abused the 'Terrible Towel'.
    The entire city probably abused The Terrible Towel. Karma.