Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le'Veon Bell posts message after start of free agency

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Le'Veon Bell posts message after start of free agency

The brain meister has spoken, yet once again. Give him a drug test.

“If they don’t want to pay me long term, then let me go test the market,” Bell said.
    Le'Veon Bell
    made a point to stand out during the start of free agency.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ency-116239449

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Le'Veon Bell posts message after start of free agency

They did want to pay you long term jackass, they just want to save cap room for players who show up to camp, don't get injured, and don't smoke weed. Dumping him may be beneficial for the team

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Hey - look. The standard refrain of every franchise tagged player since the advent of the tag in the early 1993.

Why is this even a story? I mean seriously, what the hell else was he gonna say?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Hey - look. The standard refrain of every franchise tagged player since the advent of the tag in the early 1993.

Why is this even a story? I mean seriously, what the hell else was he gonna say?
    Because Bell makes everything about himself a story. Haven't you noticed?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I dunno, maybe something like, "I'm hoping we can get a deal worked out, we've got a few months to handle it so I'm sure it'll get taken care of." Or maybe, "Nobody likes the franchise tag, so I'm really eager to the business part out of the way and focus on getting ready to play football."

Or something like that. Even nothing at all? You know, the kind of thing you'd do if you were handling it like somewhat of a professional. It sure comes off a hell of a lot better than "Up yours, fuckface!" which is basically what he said. Essentially it's just insulting the team and their offer publicly. Then again, no one accused Bell-Einstein of having exemplary skill at this type of thing. I mean, those examples were what I came up with by thinking about it for 15 seconds while I typed, so it's got to be insanely difficult to figure out something productive to say.

Really it just reinforces my feeling that the guy thrives on the drama. There's no way he re-signs with the Steelers this offseason or next. He saw the free-agent soap opera and was just itching to be at the center of it, so he couldn't even contain himself. Even if we made him the best offer out there, he'd turn it down because switching teams would make him feel more important. I don't know why we're even trying to negotiate with this guy. The dude's mind is so obviously made up it's not even funny.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Playing out like a bitter divorce.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

SO here is the funny thing. This entire thing is a bit of a reading comprehension fail on a lot of fronts. The actual sequence of events is as follows (bold is mine):

1. The quote from Bell "“If they don’t want to pay me long term, then let me go test the market,” Bell said about the big picture in an interview with ESPN on Monday (March 5), a day before the Steelers officially placed the franchise tag on Bell at a salary of $14.544 million." is actually from this piece http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-...-to-test-worth that was posted 4 days ago (March 10th) and written prior to that.

2. In the Fowler article (that is basically just a bunch of quotes pulled from another ESPN interview) Bell also says "Bell isn't sure if he'll ever end up a true free agent one day. But he's willing to be patient as long as the Steelers are, too. "This is what I kind of expected," Bell said of the likelihood of drawn-out negotiations for the second consecutive summer. "I know how the league feels about running backs. I’m not a guy who will budge off how I feel about my work." (Remember this was said on the 5th of March and posted on the 10th).

3. Then 4 hours ago (March 14th) because free agency officially started, Bell posts an innocuous but self-aggrandizing social media post -- https://twitter.com/LeVeonBell/statu...ency-116239449 -- the only text was "Im at the top, aint no stoppin...". Clearly the ravings of a madman.

4. 1 hour after that, whoever Brian DeArdo is pulls together a post that sticks the Twitter post from Bell together with an unrelated piece from almost 10 days ago. Totally designed to have people glance at it and connect the dots between two statements that were from different places and in regards to slightly different things.

After all that it gets posted here that Bell tweeted all of this hours ago today (March 14th) in regards to demanding his free agent status instead of the tag. Unfortunately, while that furthers the narrative - it just simply did not happen.

I realize that everyone is going to pile on and accuse me of sticking up for a "loudmouth" or a "jerk" or a "greedy" "drama queen" with an outsized ego. The thing is I am not. All I am saying is that it really is not hard to see through the unending stream of BS posts regarding the NFL and the Steelers particularly. It just requires that you actually read things. But it is damn near impossible if you don't even try and just fit things to your preconceived story.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Playing out like a bitter divorce.
    Bitter for him. Tagged and run into the ground. Going into his 7th season as a workhorse RB will not bode well for him in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Because Bell makes everything about himself a story. Haven't you noticed?
    He responded to an interview question on March 5th. Then, on March 14th, he posted a Twitter picture and a short caption that claimed he was the best and looking to maintain that.

What a deranged lunatic.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

The brain meister has spoken, yet once again. Give him a drug test.

“If they don’t want to pay me long term, then let me go test the market,” Bell said.
    Le'Veon Bell
    made a point to stand out during the start of free agency.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ency-116239449
    You mean if they do not want to pay me what I want long term

Ask your so called union why it did not provide under the CBA a player can only be tagged once or elect arbitration rather than be tagged for a set amount

Otherwise I suppose you just have to deal with it

He responded to an interview question on March 5th. Then, on March 14th, he posted a Twitter picture and a short caption that claimed he was the best and looking to maintain that.

What a deranged lunatic.
    You have way too much time on your hands.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

i read this as "how dare you add context to a situation that makes Bell look anything but completely horrible"

Bell is being a queen, but really not much more than many top free agents of the past
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

That is most certainly true. When you spend 12-15 hours a day in front of the computer for work you tend to start looking for distractions...

...all part of my ongoing quest to drive myself crazy wondering how some of these "content creators" have jobs talking about football when they can't even cobble together a convincing "fake news" post much less a real one!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i read this as "how dare you add context to a situation that makes Bell look anything but completely horrible"

Bell is being a queen, but really not much more than many top free agents of the past

You can read it however you like, Bell is an asshole even without fake news, defend away!

- - - Updated - - -

That is most certainly true. When you spend 12-15 hours a day in front of the computer for work you tend to start looking for distractions...

...all part of my ongoing quest to drive myself crazy wondering how some of these "content creators" have jobs talking about football when they can't even cobble together a convincing "fake news" post much less a real one!

Maybe its time for a job change.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I don’t buy the license to keep saying stupid things just because someone asked you a question. That’s no excuse.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Bell needs a double dose of Ex-Lax. He sounds bound up.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

SO here is the funny thing. This entire thing is a bit of a reading comprehension fail on a lot of fronts. The actual sequence of events is as follows (bold is mine):

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

It’s a shame that we can’t have just one “Bell Bitch Thread”.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don’t buy the license to keep saying stupid things just because someone asked you a question. That’s no excuse.
    That brings us back to the whole "Why do all these coaches and players just give cliche answers?!" versus "Why do all these coaches and players invite drama?!" debate.

See Ben's retirement conversations from a year ago. Tomlin's interview about the Pats. Or basically any time anyone sticks a mic in Tomlin or Ben's face.

Finally there is the whole essentially incontrovertible conclusion at this point -- Bell is not very bright.

That brings us back to the whole "Why do all these coaches and players just give cliche answers?!" versus "Why do all these coaches and players invite drama?!" debate.

See Ben's retirement conversations from a year ago. Tomlin's interview about the Pats. Or basically any time anyone sticks a mic in Tomlin or Ben's face.

Finally there is the whole essentially incontrovertible conclusion at this point -- Bell is not very bright.
    Exactly. And in every example you have they were each stupid. Bell just happens to be perma-stupid unlike the others who have temporary lapses.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

What a deranged lunatic.
    I mean really almost everything I said in my take on the situation still applies whether that quote was right before or right after the start of free agency. Dude is a meathead and has no intention of signing a long-term deal here or playing here unless absolutely forced. Or if that's not it, he sure does an excellent job of making it look that way.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

he's delusional if he thinks any team is gonna offer over 14 mil for him

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    he's delusional if he thinks any team is gonna offer over 14 mil for him
    Jerick McKinnon just got paid as the 4th highest paid RB in the league, you sure about that?

See the money Sammy Watkins got? Bell is a better impactful receiver than him.

Bell would get paid on the market.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

In a year when so many team have so much cap space, yes, SOMEONE will pay him that much. I don't know if it will be a great idea. Not our problem, though.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Can a high end RB impact a game as much as a #1 WR?
    Can a RB have as much impact as a good RT or a really good guard?
    What about a DE?

I mean I kinda feel like RBs like Bell, Elliot, Gurley, David Johnson, and most likely Barkley can impact their team's chances of winning on Sunday just as much (if not more) than those other positions listed.

#1 WRs get 12-18 million a year. Hell, "depth-chart" #1's like Watkins get that much! There are guards that pull down 10-12 million.

I think you can see where this is going. I am beginning to see where Bell and others (they exist) can see that the RB position is woefully undervalued.

Does any of this mean I really think the Steelers or any other team is going to give a RB 15+ per year? No. But I can see the argument.

Remember, it wasn't all that long ago that 6-8 million was ludicrous for a guard - let alone the 10-12+ that is happening recently. It is only recently that folks began paying RTs.

The game changes and if you want a guy to play rough 950 snaps on offense each year. Put up 1000 or so on the ground and another several hundred through the air. Why can't you pay him like he is one of the 3 most critical pieces of your offense?

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

I'm so tired of Bell, at this point find a way to trade him and draft a RB

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Can a high end RB impact a game as much as a #1 WR?
    Can a RB have as much impact as a good RT or a really good guard?
    What about a DE?

I mean I kinda feel like RBs like Bell, Elliot, Gurley, David Johnson, and most likely Barkley can impact their team's chances of winning on Sunday just as much (if not more) than those other positions listed.

#1 WRs get 12-18 million a year. Hell, "depth-chart" #1's like Watkins get that much! There are guards that pull down 10-12 million.

I think you can see where this is going. I am beginning to see where Bell and others (they exist) can see that the RB position is woefully undervalued.

Does any of this mean I really think the Steelers or any other team is going to give a RB 15+ per year? No. But I can see the argument.

Remember, it wasn't all that long ago that 6-8 million was ludicrous for a guard - let alone the 10-12+ that is happening recently. It is only recently that folks began paying RTs.

The game changes and if you want a guy to play rough 950 snaps on offense each year. Put up 1000 or so on the ground and another several hundred through the air. Why can't you pay him like he is one of the 3 most critical pieces of your offense?
    people will say ( and they would be right ) a great back is just another body if the guys in front of him can't block .....

people will say (and be right) there is a big difference in guys getting open vs 15 million a year corners who run a 4.4 ( maybe less ) and a linebacker who runs a 4.7 ( or greater often times )

I contend ( and in my opinion am right ) that putting all your eggs in one basket is a flawed logic , it is much smarter for teams to pay 2 RBs pretty well than to over pay 1 ...
    a RB who excels at pass catching but can still run the ball at league average and another back who is a better than average runner who has ok hands as a receiver ...
    if you can do that and do it at less than paying the 1 guy teams still have no idea if run or pass is happening on one play to the next but you have built in security if someone is hurt
    I also contend you can ( for 15-16 million a year ) roster 2 guys that fit that description with relative ease ...

so why pay that crazy money for 1 body that can break at any moment and leave you without the ability to continue to competently put together a game plan from week to week or on the fly if injury occurs during a game ....

just my 2 cents and something to ponder perhaps

evidence as such.....

Theo Riddick, Detroit Lions: While Johnson is a runner-receiver hybrid, Riddick is essentially a slot receiver masquerading as a satellite back. From the time Dion Lewis went down with an ACL tear at last year's midseason mark, Riddick became an overlooked story as the NFL's most effective receiving back. The former Notre Dame star set franchise records for receptions (80) and receiving yards (697) by a running back in a lost 2015 Lions season. He has already picked up where he left off, bedeviling the Colts' defense in Week 1.

add in Mark Ingram of the Saints who put up 1100+ rushing yards and an additional 400+ receiving in 2017

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/theo-riddick-12481/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orlea...k-ingram-7743/

Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Tag him and run the wheels off until he is useless. He isn't worth the risk of a long contract.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    people will say ( and they would be right ) a great back is just another body if the guys in front of him can't block .....

people will say (and be right) there is a big difference in guys getting open vs 15 million a year corners who run a 4.4 ( maybe less ) and a linebacker who runs a 4.7 ( or greater often times )

I contend ( and in my opinion am right ) that putting all your eggs in one basket is a flawed logic , it is much smarter for teams to pay 2 RBs pretty well than to over pay 1 ...
    a RB who excels at pass catching but can still run the ball at league average and another back who is a better than average runner who has ok hands as a receiver ...
    if you can do that and do it at less than paying the 1 guy teams still have no idea if run or pass is happening on one play to the next but you have built in security if someone is hurt
    I also contend you can ( for 15-16 million a year ) roster 2 guys that fit that description with relative ease ...

so why pay that crazy money for 1 body that can break at any moment and leave you without the ability to continue to competently put together a game plan from week to week or on the fly if injury occurs during a game ....

just my 2 cents and something to ponder perhaps

evidence as such.....

Theo Riddick, Detroit Lions: While Johnson is a runner-receiver hybrid, Riddick is essentially a slot receiver masquerading as a satellite back. From the time Dion Lewis went down with an ACL tear at last year's midseason mark, Riddick became an overlooked story as the NFL's most effective receiving back. The former Notre Dame star set franchise records for receptions (80) and receiving yards (697) by a running back in a lost 2015 Lions season. He has already picked up where he left off, bedeviling the Colts' defense in Week 1.

add in Mark Ingram of the Saints who put up 1100+ rushing yards and an additional 400+ receiving in 2017

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/theo-riddick-12481/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orlea...k-ingram-7743/

Like I said....I never said it was a good idea to commit $15 million to the RB position but there is a logical basis for the claim of that valuation and it was not that long ago that other positions that were similarly undervalued saw a massive 2-3 year upward adjustment.

Again, I fully realize the arguments for both sides. I just thought it was interesting to think about the larger perspective beyond just Bell. I mean if McKinnon can get almost 8 million per...suddenly 14-15 doesn't seem all that out of proportion.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Like I said....I never said it was a good idea to commit $15 million to the RB position but there is a logical basis for the claim of that valuation and it was not that long ago that other positions that were similarly undervalued saw a massive 2-3 year upward adjustment.

Again, I fully realize the arguments for both sides. I just thought it was interesting to think about the larger perspective beyond just Bell. I mean if McKinnon can get almost 8 million per...suddenly 14-15 doesn't seem all that out of proportion.
    fair enough I suppose , but I wouldnt do it under any circumstances ..I think there is a song ( 2 is better than 1 ) haha
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now