Thread: Steelers release Mitchell, Gay, Golden.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers release Mitchell, Gay, Golden.

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers release Mitchell, Gay, Golden.

Have to be clearing space for a safety signing...right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Yep, it's official. Now let's go sign someone who can actually play safety.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Golden is somewhat a shocker since he's a very good Special teams player.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He’s a decent special teams player. He’s replaceable though...maybe not at the upback position though...lol.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Finally. Our long nightmare of Robert Golden getting a roster spot and a helmet on game-day is over. Goodness gracious that guy stunk.

Wilcox stays on the roster?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Golden is a plus. He couldn't play safety to save his life. Always burned.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Are they looking at a free agent safety or are they working on a trade for an established safety?

Very interesting.

It was time for all three of them to go.

Gay was a very productive player and will be missed. He just hasn't been a factor over the last 2 years.

Mitchell never seemed like a great fit at FS. I always thought he should have been a SS if they were playing to his strengths. He was up and down with his performance, but clearly played hurt and played hard. Time for an upgrade with ball skills.

Golden has been nothing more than a special teams player his entire career. They gave him every opportunity to win a starting job, but he just isn't good enough. Time to move on.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Wilcox was not even activated on game days by the end of the season - how he stays given the other departures is a mystery to me

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Wilcox was not even activated on game days by the end of the season - how he stays given the other departures is a mystery to me
    From last week.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

From last week.

Might just be Colbert does not want to concede screwing up yet another DB trade

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well, obviously we've got a plan to sign one or draft one, otherwise we don't have a secondary.

A rookie starting at safety makes me a bit more nervous than a rookie at linebacker. Even Troy struggled his first season.

On the other hand, it seems like there are more veteran safeties on the market than teams with an urgent need for them, so if there's ever a year to go looking, maybe this is it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    sounds like it , would not be their MO to go into season counting on a rookie draft pick

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    sounds like it , would not be their MO to go into season counting on a rookie draft pick
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well, obviously we've got a plan to sign one or draft one, otherwise we don't have a secondary.

A rookie starting at safety makes me a bit more nervous than a rookie at linebacker. Even Troy struggled his first season.

On the other hand, it seems like there are more veteran safeties on the market than teams with an urgent need for them, so if there's ever a year to go looking, maybe this is it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Boston may come rather cheap ( but statistically he probably shouldn't ) seems nobody wants to pay the guy I mean he spent first 3 years on rookie deal in Carolina and they chose to not resign him , he got a 1 year prove it deal from the Chargers and stats wise I think he proved it , possibly his best year as a pro ... Yet they chose to not retain him ..

I get nervous thinking something must be wrong with him as a person / team mate ... but its not in print that I have seen

what am I missing ?

I loved the kid as a corner but then he got hurt and concerns of speed come into play he moved ot safety and all he has done is got better and better

Last year with chargers 16 games played 79 tackles in which 56 of them where solo 8 passes defensed and 5 picks ....

looks like a damn nice season on paper ( didn't see any charger games )

based on numbers alone it would seems like there would be a good market for such a player so either there is something underlying or his agent sucks ass

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Why is DHB still here, he's about useless as a WR

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Why is DHB still here, he's about useless as a WR
    Special Teams.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Following the twitterverse....The Steelers want to bring Mitchell back at a lower cost. Assuming that gets done we still have Mitchell and Davis starting, with Wilcox and Dangerfield as backups. I think we're making room for a FA ILB, and plan on drafting a safety early. That's my guess anyway.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I guess im in the minority but i HATE the fact that we released Robert Golden so quickly. Down the road in the offseason? Ok cool, but at the start of free agency?

There have been reports flying around that the Steelers are trying to retain JJ Wilcox to compete for a starting spot, but at a lower pricetag. Why the hell would we let go of our leverage on this situation so fast?

Im still internally screaming over the fact that Sutton might be moving to safety. This makes it look even more likely
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Our best S is in a wheelchair. Start over.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Bring me the Tyrann Mathieu please.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Great...this is definitely a good start to get rid of useless player's and money spent.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

"Useless". SMH

Bring8ng Mitchell back and hanging onto Wilcox in case their plan falls through is a recipe for disaster. If both of them are on the roster Week One without a better starter, the season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Im still internally screaming over the fact that Sutton might be moving to safety. This makes it look even more likely
    I love the idea of trying Sutton at safety. He's not going to get a lot of playing time at CB unless someone gets hurt. If he's even a decent safety, it keeps him on the team filling two positions. safety/backup safety AND backup CB.

Happy for Rob Golden , from many accounts if being a nice guy was terms for a contract he would be one of the higher paid guys in the league ...good to see a nice guy get to keep working on his craft wish him nothing but the best ...sadly he is just not that good of a football player but that issue now belongs to the chiefs and who knows maybe they just want him for his special teams ability and if so its a perfect fit