Thread: Ranking Steelers Positional Needs 2018

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ranking Steelers Positional Needs 2018

That time of year again, with free agency around the corner, my tradition of ranking positional needs most pressing to least pressing. People won't agree with some of the rankings, but then again what's the point of being different if one can't have different opinion

1. Safety: This was a position of need last year yet they did little to address it and it came back to bite them. All they did was spend a 6th round pick on Wilcox then let him sit on the bench. Depth and talent is paper thin. Mitchell may be gone (thank god), Wilcox may also be gone though they both may still be on the roster by traning camp. Literally all they have at this position is the hope that the newly hired Tom Bradley will turn Sean Davis into a better play. Getting a safety is a must, probably multiple safeties, preferably at least one who can play free safety

2. Inside Linebacker: Again this was a position that needed to be addressed, and again little was done to address and again it came back to bite them. Honestly, you could easily put this no. 1 and this is a close 2nd for me in the wake of Shazier's devastating injury which likely spells the end of his career. Vince Williams showed promise last year which puts it behind safety for me, but the trio of Matekevich, Fort, and Spence shouldn't be starting NFL games and again multiple inside linebackers are needed as depth and talent are in very short supply

3. Outside Linebacker: While not receiving as much attention as the top 2 picks, there is still a shortage of depth and talent here. TJ Watt showed a lot of promise and his future looks bright, but outside of that, all there is the disappointment of Bud Dupree, Moats and Chickillo, neither of whom should be starting and last year's draft pick Keion Adams, who I question has the size to play OLB in the NFL. At a premium position, this should be addressed.

4. Running Back: This shouldn't be much of a need, and it wouldn't if selfish Bell cared more about his team and less about drawing attention to himself and pretending he's worth a few million more than he really is. James Connor is currently the only RB under contract. They need to get their hands on more RBs.

5. Tight End: Steelers haven't had a reliable starting TE since Heath Miller retired. Jesse James and Xavier Grimble are nothing more than backups, Vance McDonald has not shown to be reliable with drops and injuries or worth trading out of the 4th round to get him. A better TE could also serve to offset Selfish Bell's lack of reliability and probable eventual departure

6. Quarterback: I thought I would put this higher around midseason, but Ben showed he still had something left and wants to play 3 more years. That being said, Ben is still injury prone and all they have is Landry Jones who's biggest asset seems to be barely beating the awful Browns and major question mark Josh Dobbs. The need for a more reliable backup as well the unknown surrounding how long Ben will truly play, prevents this from being lower

7. Cornerback: So happy to move this down after being in my top 2 needs the previous few years. Haden was a surprise and Mike Hilton was an even bigger surprise. There are a few question marks here such as William Gay's likely departure, Haden's health, and the unknowns surrounding Artie Burns and Cam Sutton, though Cam Sutton impressed, and there is hope Burns can improve under DB coach Bradley. Still though, CB is as good of shape as it's been in years

8. Defensive Line: Some people will want this higher because they want a run stuffing nose tackle. However increasing use of subpackages has reduced the need and use of a run stuffing nose tackle. They have 3 solid starters in all-pro Heyward, Tuitt, and Hargrave (and there are a lot of reports that Hargrave is underutilized). Also Alualu and L.T. Walton provided good depth last year. At most they could use a replacement for McCullers, but they have good pieces in place and a newly acquired D-line isn't likely to play much anyway

9. Offensive Line: Some people will argue this should be higher, and yes they could benefit from adding a couple backups, but this is still one of the best and most talented offensive lines in the NFL assisted by arguably the best O-line coaches in the league in Munch. There are certainly a lot of more pressing needs right now

10. Wide receiver: The biggest question on this team surrounding this position is the no. 4/5 WR position with Eli Rogers' ACL. AB is one of the 3 best players in the game and Juju came on strong as a rookie not legally allowed to drink most of his rookie season. Bryant is likely gone next year, but all indication is he will still be around this year and his attitude has improved. With Rogers logging 18 receptions and failing to reach 200 yards as the no. 4 reciever, there really isn't much of a need here at all, maybe just 1 or 2 players at the bottom of the depth chart if that

Rankings will be updated right before the draft

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Ranking Steelers Positional Needs 2018

I like this rank. I would put ILB over Safety myself, but your reasons are sound. What if...Sutton or Haden do get moved to FS? I think this happens with Haden eventually from his own statement, and self eval. For the conversation let's put safeties with Haden(FS) and Davis(SS) as the starters. There are not many FS in this draft, let alone good ones to start day 1. Move Sutton to outside CB opposite Burns, with Hilton in slot. Allen becomes the dime back (Gay's role). Surely CB moves up the needs list based solely on depth now. AND Safety still has Wilcox and Golden as backups. If making this move, I would draft a day 1 SS, move Davis to backup both safeties, cut Golden and Wilcox, and keep Gay as emergency backup safety. Still need a CB thru draft or FA, but much easier position to fill than FS.

OL...Today we only have 2 OGs on roster. Feiler is listed as OT and Foster is 32 years old. Pouncey can possibly be extended but currently has 2 years left on his deal. I would move OL up the needs chart a few spots, IMO. OL get injured often, need quality backups or you lose everything. Plus there are some very good interior OL prospects in this draft.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

ben is gonna be like favre, talk a bunch about retirement but we all know hes playin till hes 43

hopefully without doing anything homo like that 'tom vs time' crap

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I like this rank. I would put ILB over Safety myself, but your reasons are sound. What if...Sutton or Haden do get moved to FS? I think this happens with Haden eventually from his own statement, and self eval. For the conversation let's put safeties with Haden(FS) and Davis(SS) as the starters. There are not many FS in this draft, let alone good ones to start day 1. Move Sutton to outside CB opposite Burns, with Hilton in slot. Allen becomes the dime back (Gay's role). Surely CB moves up the needs list based solely on depth now. AND Safety still has Wilcox and Golden as backups. If making this move, I would draft a day 1 SS, move Davis to backup both safeties, cut Golden and Wilcox, and keep Gay as emergency backup safety. Still need a CB thru draft or FA, but much easier position to fill than FS.

OL...Today we only have 2 OGs on roster. Feiler is listed as OT and Foster is 32 years old. Pouncey can possibly be extended but currently has 2 years left on his deal. I would move OL up the needs chart a few spots, IMO. OL get injured often, need quality backups or you lose everything. Plus there are some very good interior OL prospects in this draft.

Great post in regard to the secondary. I've been thinking about this same scenario myself.

We can speculate all we want, but we don't know how the team really feels about any of those players. From the outside, what you say about the secondary makes a lot of sense.

Replacing Mitchell at FS with a cerebral, former elite corner with ball skills makes a ton of sense if they believe they have a corner to take his place outside. Sutton could be that guy.

I think it's time to move on from Gay. He seems to have lost a step, and just hasn't been a factor in over a year. If Allen has anything, he is the logical choice to get more playing time.

If these moves happen and the players discussed are what we think they are, the secondary gets younger, faster, and more athletic with better ball skills. It also means that the secondary is less of a priority in the draft but they would still need depth. If they find a great free agent piece to add, the depth would already be on the roster.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I would raise CB and lower RB. I would also place ILB over S. I guess it all depends on the best player available.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I move WR up a few spots and DL down.

After 2018 your WR corps is AB, Juju, and what? DHB is done as a major contributor. Rogers' contract and health status is up in the air. Bryant is out. Draft at least one WR this year in order to not totally rely on contributions from rookies.

Alternatively, you could look to the free agent market. Maybe a reunion tour with Markus Wheaton?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

ILB, then safety, then OLB, then TE, then depth at whatever else they can get.

Hopefully they'll be able to address at least one of the first three before the draft so they're not going in with a scattershot list of needs. Because we all know how that usually turns out: edge rusher from SEC school, "incredible raw talent, needs work to succeed at the pro level," then four years of threads asking whether it's too soon to declare him a bust.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think WR is a bigger need than last (#10). Fortunately, drafting WR's is our sweet spot.

So I am updating my rankings 6 days before the draft. Doubt a lot is going to happen between now and draft day.

1. Outside linebacker: This becomes my new no. 1. This was the highest ranked position that went unaddressed and is now no. 1. Again with Watt's rookie season as the only plus on the depth chart, they need another OLB to rush the passer and contain the run

2. Inside Linebacker: Some will have this no. 1, however the signing of Jon Bostic provides depth and a guy who does well in run defense so the position is not as dire as it was entering free agency. They still need a guy who can do well in coverage and more depth

3. Safety: With the signing of 2 safeties, depth isn't as drastically thin as it was. The safety position got a nice boost when the Steelers signed Morgan Burnett for great value. They added more depth with Nat Behre. However, they could still use a center-fielding free safety plus some additional insurance as Burnett does have an injury history and Berhe is just a backup

4. Running back: They re-signed Steven Ridley and Frenchy. They're not great options, but they provide bodies and James Connor is no longer the only RB officially under contract with Smokey not likely to sign his franchise tender until September at the earliest because oh how horrible it is he was only offered $14 million a year instead of $17 million a year. I doubt Bell is back in 2019 and also doubt he'll be available and at full speed for the entire season.

5. Tight end: Tight end stays at no. 5 and they added any new TEs. Ben is apparently happy with McDonald and James, but McDonald is injury and drop prone and James just isn't a good player

6. Quarterback: A veteran backup to upgrade Landry Jones would be the best way to improve the position (granted they are overpriced). Other than Kyle Lauletta, I really would not draft another QB. I don't like any of the QBs linked to the Steelers at 28 and after drafting Josh Dobbs, drafting another late round QB feels redundant. With Ben expressing desire to play 3 more years, it's probably best not to push the issue with a less ideal candidate.

7. Offensive line: I bumped O-line up because the depth situation looks worse than I initially figured. The team is thin along the backups. However, they arguably have the best starting 5 in the league. Additionally Munchak has been able to turn undrafted free agents into quality backups and even solid starters so it is probably best to wait until day 3 and save their day 2 picks on more immediate needs with less talent

8. Cornerback: For some reason cornerback is a trendy 1st round pick to the Steelers in a lot of mocks. Some I think are confusing general secondary help with specifically needing more safety help while others I think are just assuming it's a need because it's been a need the past few years. Gay is officially a Giant so at most they may need another body at the bottom of the depth chart.

9. Defensive Line: Not much more to talk about here that I didn't talk about above other than McCullers got re-signed. At most they need someone at the bottom of the depth chart to challenge McCullers

10. Wide Receiver: I talked about in the Wide Receiver discussion thread why I thought this was getting overblown as a need despite the impending departure of Bryant in 2019. In short, Juju looks like he could be a great no. 2 behind AB and if Rogers isn't resigned they are good finding rookies that can at least make a no. 3 WR impact so they can afford to wait until 2019. However, given how many Day 1 and 2 WRs the Steelers have drafted, they may end up drafting at the position earlier than they need to

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

pretty solid list and logic from my perspective not much to disagree with here ....

I would add as a side note ......

The Richard Mann effect ...................

as for WR's we where very very good at selecting and turning them out to be solid pros ( even great pro's )

without Richard Mann ..... well we will just have to wait n see
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    pretty solid list and logic from my perspective not much to disagree with here ....

as for WR's we where very very good at selecting and turning them out to be solid pros ( even great pro's )

Yes we are very good at selecting the right ones and have no idea if Mann was a part of that. You can't polish a turd regardless how good of a coach you are. We pick the right ones over the years with talent and not sure I think coaching had much to do with it!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mann never developed Demarcus Ayers, Justin Brown, Markus Wheaton or Sammie Coates...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Mann never developed Demarcus Ayers, Justin Brown, Markus Wheaton or Sammie Coates...
    in fairness to that though ...

I personally never expected much from any of them except Coates ...

Hated the Ayers pick , Hated the Wheaton pick .... Brown wasnt even on my radar as a prospect to have a formed opinion

that said not sure how much Mann had to do with the selections , as Tomlin probably weights in pretty heavily on wideouts as well being one himself back in the day ...

who pulled for what prospects is anyone guess I suppose but it will be worth monitoring I think anyways

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Seriously though, how much does adding Burnett change how you see the safety position now? Mitchell and Golden are gone, and Burnett and Burhe(sp) replace them. I think we upgraded. Plus we still have Davis and Wilcox. Not sure what went wrong with these 2 last season but willing to give them another chance in 2018. My new order would probably start out,
    1. ILB
    2. OLB
    3. WR
    4. Safety
    5. OL
    6. TE/RB
    7. QB
    8. CB
    9. DL

I do think the Steelers replaced Mann with another solid WR coach in Darryl Drake. Heard positives about him

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I do think the Steelers replaced Mann with another solid WR coach in Darryl Drake. Heard positives about him

yea he is a good coach , just leaves us with the unknown about his voice in the draft room vs Manns ....

not sure how much input Mann had and if he was the Voice that got us the better Wrs we have had or not ...

wish I knew