Thread: Mitchell Out?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Mitchell Out?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...mitchell-soon/

ARticle indicates they are open to him coming back at a lower salary #. Of course the same was said about Wilcox.

Maybe whichever one takes a lower offer gets rostered?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Mitchell Out?

Just get rid of Mitchell

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Yes he will be cut.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It is what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It is what it is...
    Nice!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

They must feel they can sign someone via FA.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Just get rid of Mitchell
    Yes. I'm tired of him.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

draft the best safety on your board regardless of strong or free ... Davis is ( or should be ) pos flexible being a former corner Free should be his more natural spot anyways
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Yes. I'm tired of him.
    Perhaps, but it's not like his level of play was the lowest of NFL quality play. I'd hate to see us pick up someone else only to have that become an even weaker area. I'd before to bring him back at a reduced price and then let him battle it out with a couple rookies for the position.

Assuming Mitchell is gone Haden value goes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Perhaps, but it's not like his level of play was the lowest of NFL quality play. I'd hate to see us pick up someone else only to have that become an even weaker area. I'd before to bring him back at a reduced price and then let him battle it out with a couple rookies for the position.
    Maybe not the lowest but it was low

He was not the playmaker the Steelers had hoped he’d be when they signed him. He had just four interceptions in those four seasons and none in 2017. He forced four fumbles, also none last season, and recovered four, one last season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201803090161

As Chuck Noll said when Hollywood Henderson was talking trash in the run up to Super Bowl XIII - "Empty barrels make the most noise"

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

We’ll see how they plan on replacing him to see if this was a good move...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Declining skills, age, and salary.

Also, all those injuries he played through caught up at age 31.

Haden better be able to play all 16 games and organize the rest of the mental midgets.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Haden better be able to play all 16 games and organize the rest of the mental midgets.

perhaps making a small run at Tre Boston could stop the bleeding some
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    perhaps making a small run at Tre Boston could stop the bleeding some
    That could work

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It's always better to try and improve rather than settle for bad play and get torched in the postseason every year because the starting free safety gets burned repeatedly, and turning 32, he was only going to get worse than last year.
    I hate the notion of keeping him around because they don't have much else at the position. There are better options out there, try and get better at the position don't settle for poor play because they might find someone worse

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Maybe not the lowest but it was low

He was not the playmaker the Steelers had hoped he’d be when they signed him. He had just four interceptions in those four seasons and none in 2017. He forced four fumbles, also none last season, and recovered four, one last season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201803090161

As Chuck Noll said when Hollywood Henderson was talking trash in the run up to Super Bowl XIII - "Empty barrels make the most noise"
    Not sure I agree with that. The problem with years of Troy P. and Ryan Clark is that our expectations at that position were raised beyond what is normal. Funny thing is, PFF ranks Mitchell's 2017 grade as "average." I'd be interested in a pass distribution chart to see why the PD disparity exists. Also, Burns defended 13 passes, which is almost equal to Hayden and Davis together (15).

Don't get me wrong. I don't think he's a great player. I do, however, think he's been scapegoated a bit. He's an average player getting an above average salary, and that's ​why we shouldn't keep him for his current cost, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    It's always better to try and improve rather than settle for bad play and get torched in the postseason every year because the starting free safety gets burned repeatedly, and turning 32, he was only going to get worse than last year.
    I hate the notion of keeping him around because they don't have much else at the position. There are better options out there, try and get better at the position don't settle for poor play because they might find someone worse
    No one's saying to settle for poor play. What I see here (and what' I've argued) is (1) he's valuable as a backup and should be kept at a backup price, and (2) the problem is he's an average CB playing at a salary level that is too high for his current output. I know people say he sucks, but where's the evidence? Passes Defended is a stat that is worth something only in context. Again, not saying he's a good DB. I'm saying I think we're scapgoating him a bit.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I loved his leadership.
    I loved his spirit.
    I loved his enthusiasm.
    But... man alive!!! he really was a drop off from Ryan Clark.

Oh, and what a year to need a safety. There’s about a dozen who can fill the void (and, our new secondary coach knows two of them verrrrry well).

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Mitchell just didn't make plays. He always went for the big hit instead of making a solid tackle or pass defense. I'd rather move on from him based on his play. Add in his age and salary makes me feel like moving on even more.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Too many missed plays and he doesn't have the speed any more. Add in his stupid theatrics and I don't want him back. He's just not very good in coverage.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I am in complete agreement with upgrading Mitchell. I am against getting rid of Mitchell before we have that upgrade on the team.

PFF (I know, I know -- but it is a set of consistent numbers to use) graded him 64 out of 89 safeties in 2017.

So 32*2 =64. Does that mean Mitchell was the worst starting safety in the league last year? I'm actually shocked if that is the case. I mean I suspected that Mitchell (and Davis) were not good last year, but the worst starter in the league? That seems a bit much...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    PFF (I know, I know -- but it is a set of consistent numbers to use) graded him 64 out of 89 safeties in 2017.

So 32*2 =64. Does that mean Mitchell was the worst starting safety in the league last year? I'm actually shocked if that is the case. I mean I suspected that Mitchell (and Davis) were not good last year, but the worst starter in the league? That seems a bit much...
    I'm not shocked at all. When did you actually watch a Steelers game in the past 2 seasons and say to yourself....."Mitchell had a really good game" or " sure glad Mitchell was there to make that play" ?

Mike Mitchell has been stealing money and just taking up a jersey space for a couple seasons, yet talking like he is a Pro Bowler. Hope they move on so somebody better can come in and play the position.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar