Thread: A More Comprehensive Safety Thread

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

A More Comprehensive Safety Thread

I have no idea if the Steelers plan to take a Safety in FA, in the draft, or even at all. My thoughts are that I would try to upgrade both Safety spots this offseason. In order to get a clear picture of actual player candidates I think it's important to separate the players into position groups according to how they project for the Steelers. Some guys I've seen mocked to us as listed as FS when everything about their game suggests box safety, things like that tend to muddy the waters a bit.

Besides stats, highlights, game tape, etc, I would like to put the safeties into FS, SS, and Dime/Hybrid player groups. I will need all the help I can get with this. So please contribute as much as you can.(Or want to)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: A More Comprehensive Safety Thread

This is a very good article based on Minkah Fitzpatrick. But it also explains a lot about how defenses are changing to challenge a more pass happy NFL. Great read if you get the time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...a-changing-nfl

Derwin James is my #1 player on the board from this position group. Can play anywhere asked. Most likely a box safety/hybrid safety for the Steelers. Would add a lot to what we lost when Shazier went down. Can play close to the LOS and cover TEs and RBs easily. Very good tackler with sideline to sideline ability. Plus, this kid has plenty of room to grow and improve at the position. Everything I read on him says he is a film room junkie and a lockerroom leader as well.

Jaire Alexander was another combine winner at the safety position. Alexander is a true free safety in every way. He will not give much in run support at only 195ish pounds. But what he brings is elite cover ability and speed. May even be able to play some at CB in a pinch. Many sites have him around the 3rd round due to his thinner size and thus durability concern. I think for the Steelers, Alexander could start at FS, making Mitchell move to the SS spot and putting Davis in a backup role for either spot. With tackling issues, I would not want to see Alexander and Davis as our last line of defense.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Report: Tomlin And Colbert Have Pro Day Dinner With FS Jessie Bates

We’ve explained how important Pro Day visits and dinners are to finding out the Pittsburgh Steelers first round picks. Wake Forest free safety Jessie Bates just checked another box. According to Tony Pauline of Draft Analyst, Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert dined with Bates tonight before tomorrow’s Pro Day.

From Pauline:

“The Wake Forest pro day does not take place until tomorrow but sources tell me fast rising safety Jessie Bates III, who’s moved into the second day of the draft, was seen having dinner this evening with Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and head coach Mike Tomlin.”.........

Read more @ http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...-jessie-bates/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

With the 28th pick in the NFL Draft, The Pittsburgh Steelers select...Jessie Bates, Safety, Wake Forest.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

for what it is worth , said it before , will say it again and again ... what we truly need is a SS , Davis is a prototypical FS with his corner mentality , his skill set is more free than strong and he has been playing out of pos since they put him in as a strong ...

sure one could argue that in the Steelers system there is not a lot of distinction between the two roles ( that is half the problem IMO ) that lack of distinction is fine when you have a guy like Troy playing who free lances a lot and is good at it but when you are assigning roles to guys with responsibilities instead of a free lancer you trust then Davis skills are more in line with what you attribute to a free safety ...

want to stop/slow crossing patterns over the middle ? want to kill seam plays to the oppositions TE , then you have to have roles that players fit and let them play those roles ....

Bates is Davis with some of the same inconsistencies ( inconsistent angles , allows the cutback , lack of discipline at times ) and has far less experience playing the game ( a 2 year player )

no way in hell I draft him before round 3 , he just needs to much work and I do not believe he is day 1 starter capable ...that said he has a high ceiling and room to grow and get better ( grow literally too could use 10 pounds on his frame )....

that's just my opinion take it or leave it
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Looking at reports on the draft safeties and the class looks loaded with guys that can play in the box - basically classic SS types. I'm gonna disagree with DWins, and argue that despite the fact that Davis is gonna play FS, the entire Steelers roster is SS types right now.

Looking for more FS types I come up with these names:

Rashaan Gaulden
    Armani Watts
    Justin Reid
    Jessie Bates

So two guys under 200 #s and two guys over 200 #'s. Now none of these guys have to really do squat in Year 1.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The signing of Burnett should not preclude the Steelers from drafting a safety, plus as stated previously, they could still use a center fielder type and there is still depth issues at the position

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Lance Zierlein‏Verified account @LanceZierlein

I can't believe I just got to USM safety Tarvarius Moore. His testing numbers were insane at 4.32, with 38.5 VJ and 11'1" BJ, but the tape matched the testing. Excellent cover skills too. Easy second day selection and one of the most under-the-radar safeties in the class.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now