Thread: NFL Owners - Not Always About Winning

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

NFL Owners - Not Always About Winning

Fascinating piece about Houston Texans owner and his stance on player protests. Includes this gem:

"There are many who believe if McNair could field a team with all-white, all-conforming all-pro talent, he would."

At least he wants his players to be all-pro talents....

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...d-12726004.php

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: NFL Owners - Not Always About Winning

I have heard that all my life, "Inmates running the prison/asylum/nuthouse...". I have never viewed it as a racist comment, but more of meaning things are being run by the wrong people/wrong people making the important decisions. Good thing he didn't say, "The monkeys are running the zoo". I've heard that as well, and it's meant to say the same thing. Some of it comes down to people just being too sensitive and too quick to take offense, and not try to understand the intent above the words. Some of it falls on speakers being just plain dumb in their words, and not thinking before they speak. In NFL football terms, I don't think that was a catch. Some are calling it a catch. Maybe we're both wrong.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I have heard that all my life, "Inmates running the prison/asylum/nuthouse...". I have never viewed it as a racist comment, but more of meaning things are being run by the wrong people/wrong people making the important decisions. Good thing he didn't say, "The monkeys are running the zoo". I've heard that as well, and it's meant to say the same thing. Some of it comes down to people just being too sensitive and too quick to take offense, and not try to understand the intent above the words. Some of it falls on speakers being just plain dumb in their words, and not thinking before they speak. In NFL football terms, I don't think that was a catch. Some are calling it a catch. Maybe we're both wrong.
    Yea, I've heard it all of my life also and it has absolutely nothing to do with race. It just goes to show that there are a lot of people who try to make everything into a race issue.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Yea, I've heard it all of my life also and it has absolutely nothing to do with race. It just goes to show that there are a lot of people who try to make everything into a race issue.
    Me, too. Not aware of that comment being overtly or even covertly racist. But the rest of the article does paint a picture that McNair is not really that open to either minorities or minority opinions. Does that make him a racist? I don't know and not my worry.

What I do think is interesting is that we keep getting surprised and offended that if you press 70+ year old billionaire white guys about their opinions on a variety of social and cultural issues that they have rather dated and conservative viewpoints. I mean what did we think the owner of the Houston Texans thought about anthem protests that are also wrapped up in anger over police and racial issues?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Me, too. Not aware of that comment being overtly or even covertly racist. But the rest of the article does paint a picture that McNair is not really that open to either minorities or minority opinions. Does that make him a racist? I don't know and not my worry.

What I do think is interesting is that we keep getting surprised and offended that if you press 70+ year old billionaire white guys about their opinions on a variety of social and cultural issues that they have rather dated and conservative viewpoints. I mean what did we think the owner of the Houston Texans thought about anthem protests that are also wrapped up in anger over police and racial issues?

They don't have to be billionaires or white actually. If you go talk to PEOPLE who were just born or young kids during the depression era, you get very non-PC comments and opinions. Even today, with all the extra access to the world, many people of that generation still live on one street.

They don't have to be billionaires or white actually. If you go talk to PEOPLE who were just born or young kids during the depression era, you get very non-PC comments and opinions. Even today, with all the extra access to the world, many people of that generation still live on one street.
    No doubt. I was referring to sports owners, but if you expand it is totally a generational thing. Traditions, norms, and values change with each new generation. Those of previous generations usually do not.

It was like when that Duck Dynasty dude got in trouble for saying something fairly fundamentally religious and not super tolerant. What did you think a 60 some year old dude from the backwoods with a beard down to his knees that belongs to a extremely traditional church was going to say?

And that's the part that gets me. We all still get or are supposed to get so outraged by it. But most of these comments are predictable. I usually don't like any of them, but its not like I hear about them and am surprised. For me that is the problem just as much as folks holding offensive opinions/viewpoints. Our refusal to acknowledge that there are major portions of the population that are not in step with others on a variety of issues. It makes any realistic discussion and movement on almost any issue impossible. One side just hears things that it finds deeply morally offensive and the other is just confused as to why they are being called a bigot or a racist.

Then there is the whole politically correct thing...which is its own can of worms. People get too easily offended over absolute nonsense and people give too much offense and then hid it behind "I'm just not PC".