Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free agent SAFETIES

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Free agent SAFETIES

Here they are:

Tre Boston
    Morgan Burnett
    Eric Reid
    Kenny Vaccaro
    Lamarcus Joyner
    TJ Ward
    Kurt Coleman

We might be about to add one more:

Tyrann Matthieu

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Free agent SAFETIES

From reports, Joyner is going to get franchise tagged so we can sadly forget about him.

Boston is the best fit. Turning 26 years of age, good coverage skills, can create turnovers. Give him MM contract and I believe he'll sign.

But if Mathieu does indeed get cut...Someone recruit him!!!
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 03-01-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Mathieu and Boston for me as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Based on price and quality projections I'll take:

1) Lamarcus Joyner
    2) Tre Boston
    3) Eric Reid
    4) Morgan Burnett
    5) Kenny Vaccaro
    6) TJ Ward
    7) Kurt Coleman

in that order. Im not sure about Mathieu, dude averaged over $12 million a year on whats probably one of the biggest safety contracts of all time? hopefully the safety market depresses this year
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Mathieu already has two torn ACL's in his NFL career so he brings some injury risk.

He'll want another payday but not sure some team will match the contract Arizona gave him, which was 5 years for $62mil($40m guaranteed)

Rest of his contract details.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-c...mathieu-12350/
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here they are:

Tre Boston - Best case, emerging playmaker at the position. Worst case, Mike Mitchell 2.0.
    Morgan Burnett - for the right price he is a great solution (box, centerfield, slot corner he has done it all) but big $$$ to a 29 year old with lots of injuries?
    Eric Reid - Pretty good as a SS. What can he do as a FS? Can Sean Davis really play FS?
    Kenny Vaccaro - Meh? Never really won the faith and trust of New Orleans coaches and their DBs have been bad. Maybe best as a SS?
    Lamarcus Joyner - Rams keep him, let Trumaine Johnson go and roll with Joyner and Peters
    TJ Ward - In decline, rather just keep Mitchell
    Kurt Coleman - no. Rather just keep Mitchell.

We might be about to add one more:

Tyrann Matthieu
    For me it is Boston or Reid. What about a family reunion? Eric in FA and Justin in the 2nd round?

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Mathieu will not be a Steeler. Some team is going to give him a huge contract and it's not going to be the Steelers.

Joyner will be re-signed by the Rams. They seem very intent on keeping him.

I also get the feeling that Boston is staying with the Chargers. I'm also a little wary of him because of his one big year when he was playing for a contract. Too similar to Mitchell.

Reid is the one that really interests me. I think he's got a lot of promise.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    For me it is Boston or Reid. What about a family reunion? Eric in FA and Justin in the 2nd round?
    I have felt that whichever team Eric Reid signs with, they’d also draft Justin.

Justin was all set to go to LSU, but Eric brought him out to the Bay Area to live with him (so that Eric could keep close tabs on Justin/maintain their close relationship). So, I could see Eric signing with a team, and then asking (pleading) that team to draft his brother.

Sort of like the Pouncey brothers (who had never spent more than a week apart in their lives... until Maurkice got drafted.)

Eric is the more physically gifted Reid brother. And, Eric is a thumper/strong safety. Justin is more cerebral (a free safety). He would compliment his brother verrrrry well in a secondary. “The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.”

Again, when the Pouncey played side-by-side, they were insanely good (at Florida).

All of that said, I think that the Steelers stick with Sean Davis (leaving only one available spot for the Reid brothers).

If... the Steelers wanted to get Eric and Justin Reid AND also keep Sean Davis, it could work.

Eric would be an ILB... who can play SS.

Davis could be a SS... who can play FS.

Justin could be a FS... who can play ANYTHING.

Really. Justin played all of these positions at Stanford:
    -strong safety
    -free safety
    -perimeter corner
    -slot corner
    -nickel back
    -dime back
    -X (a small ILB)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I like it! BUT...it all hinges on the assumption (one I have been making as well) that Sean Davis can play FS. Then, to be a total downer, I think about Sean Davis organizing the back-end of the defense, calling plays, and patrolling center-field. Then I think about how as a SS (supposedly his better position)he is late to rotate, takes odd angles in run support, and is prone to brain freeze.

Makes me think the Reid family re-union is a bad idea and it is Tre Boston or bust...?

But man I really like the Reid brothers idea...

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I want all of em!

I like it! BUT...it all hinges on the assumption (one I have been making as well) that Sean Davis can play FS. Then, to be a total downer, I think about Sean Davis organizing the back-end of the defense, calling plays, and patrolling center-field. Then I think about how as a SS (supposedly his better position)he is late to rotate, takes odd angles in run support, and is prone to brain freeze.

Makes me think the Reid family re-union is a bad idea and it is Tre Boston or bust...?

Last season, Davis had 8 passes defensed... versus 800 missed tackles in run support.

IMO, I feel he’s more suited to play FS.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Last season, Davis had 8 passes defensed... versus 800 missed tackles in run support.

IMO, I feel he’s more suited to play FS.

I've always stated that Mitchell was better suited to play SS. When they got Davis, I openly stated that I thought they might move Mitchell to SS and Davis to FS. It never happened.

I know Davis has 8 passes defended, but at times it seemed like he was being targeted and saw a lot of action. This is one of those moves that makes you wonder why it didn't happen already. Maybe he just isn't as capable as we hoped when he was drafted.

This is a big year for Davis. He really didn't play well for a large part of the year. It would be nice to see him take a big step forward this year. We'll find out more about where he'll be playing when we see who they sign in free agency and who they take in the draft. Ultimately, we'll find out when training camp starts.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I've always stated that Mitchell was better suited to play SS. When they got Davis, I openly stated that I thought they might move Mitchell to SS and Davis to FS. It never happened.

I know Davis has 8 passes defended, but at times it seemed like he was being targeted and saw a lot of action. This is one of those moves that makes you wonder why it didn't happen already. Maybe he just isn't as capable as we hoped when he was drafted.

This is a big year for Davis. He really didn't play well for a large part of the year. It would be nice to see him take a big step forward this year. We'll find out more about where he'll be playing when we see who they sign in free agency and who they take in the draft. Ultimately, we'll find out when training camp starts.
    I hope it’s just the “sophomore slump”.

I hope he isn’t just dumb. I’m starting to think that Davis and Burns are just slow learners at best and too dumb to be believed at worst.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So, DK is suggesting that the Steelers are considering moving Cam Sutton to Safety.

Also, apparently the Steelers are talking to Wilcox about taking a pay cut and staying next year.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    So, DK is suggesting that the Steelers are considering moving Cam Sutton to Safety.

Also, apparently the Steelers are talking to Wilcox about taking a pay cut and staying next year.
    Why would Wilcox consider staying when they sat him on the bench and he never got a chance to play? That doesn't make any sense to me.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I know Haden will eventually make the move to safety, he said as much himself. That indicates to me that Sutton should stay at CB to replace Haden in the next couple years. Allen is a better candidate to make that move now, IMO. On the other hand, Sutton has played the role of DB play caller and making sure everyone is in their correct 'spot'. So, from that view, I could see that experiment making sense as well. Sutton could backup Haden AND Mitchell. Puts him on the field more worst case, which is a good thing.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I hope he isn’t just dumb. I’m starting to think that Davis and Burns are just slow learners at best and too dumb to be believed at worst.
    You talking about Davis? Doesn't he speak 3 different languages... lack of ability to learn doesn't seem to be a phrase to use with him.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Man, the combination of those moves just looks stupid to me. Cameron was looking good at cornerback, and Burns needs to be pushed for a starting spot, why mess with that? You have an entire free agency period and draft to get a safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    You talking about Davis? Doesn't he speak 3 different languages... lack of ability to learn doesn't seem to be a phrase to use with him.
    Didn't know that. Hopefully, Davis is just still young and figuring it out, but I'm not sure I want him "quarterbacking" the secondary. He just doesn't seem to have that kind of football mind. I'm likely being too harsh on him, but I honestly feel that he had a terrible year and he makes mental mistakes consistently.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Man, the combination of those moves just looks stupid to me. Cameron was looking good at cornerback, and Burns needs to be pushed for a starting spot, why mess with that? You have an entire free agency period and draft to get a safety.
    Only thing I can come up with is that isn't Sutton supposed to be crazy "football smart"? He was the one who was whiteboarding the entire defense in the draft interviews, right?

I would guess the plan would be to get that football mind on the field to help call your defense. Losing Shazier and Mitchell means you have lost the 2 guys who organized your defense. I think we can all agree that the defense, and secondary in particular would benefit from someone helping ride herd on their "communication issues" -- looks directly at Artie Burns.

Only thing I can come up with is that isn't Sutton supposed to be crazy "football smart"? He was the one who was whiteboarding the entire defense in the draft interviews, right?
    Yep

Tennessee produced the two smartest players from that draft: Cameron Sutton and Josh Dobbs.

The Steelers had an informal and a formal meeting with Justin Reid. Tomlin was a part of both.

The Steelers are meeting tonight with Ronnie Harrison. (Does anyone know if this meeting is a dinner???)

@BlackAndGold

The Steelers met with Jessie Bates.

@BlackAndGold

The Steelers met with Jessie Bates.
    Great to hear.

A lot of hype starting to surround Justin Reid.

One of Evans/LVE/Reid could be the guy at #28.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Great to hear.

Yeah, I'm good with that. A lot of fans will say "I don't want a safety in the 1st, we need an ILB", or " why draft a TE in the 1st round when we have other needs like Safety and ILB". The reality of the situation is that the Steelers will likely try and fill a position that is thin with BPA and if it turns out to be Safety, ILB, TE or even another OLB....they will likely pick the player of best value at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Yeah, I'm good with that. A lot of fans will say "I don't want a safety in the 1st, we need an ILB", or " why draft a TE in the 1st round when we have other needs like Safety and ILB". The reality of the situation is that the Steelers will likely try and fill a position that is thin with BPA and if it turns out to be Safety, ILB, TE or even another OLB....they will likely pick the player of best value at the position.
    Correct.

Also, it's very likely they will address one of those areas(ILB, or safety) via free agency. Which one? who knows but I expect something.

Correct.

Also, it's very likely they will address one of those areas(ILB, or safety) via free agency. Which one? who knows but I expect something.
    I think they address both in free agency or by not cutting someone we sorta expect (Mitchell and/or Wilcox). When is the last time Colbert went into the draft with a total blank spot on the starting 22 depth chart? While it often means there is not a great player penciled in, rarely (if ever) is there just a total donut hole.

So I expect to see a significant signing at ILB and a lot of movement of existing players around the roster to wallpaper over the safety spot.

Then after the draft, there will be another reshuffling of the cards at both spots.

Great to hear.

Reid is the player du jour who is linked with the Steelers...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

would Su'a Cravens be a better safety than anyone the Steelers could draft in Round 3?

Washington holds firm on its price for Su’a Cravens

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2018

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-sua-cravens/