Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free agent SAFETIES

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Free agent SAFETIES

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    would Su'a Cravens be a better safety than anyone the Steelers could draft in Round 3?

Washington holds firm on its price for Su’a Cravens

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2018

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-sua-cravens/

Why did he quit? And why does he want to come back?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

would Su'a Cravens be a better safety than anyone the Steelers could draft in Round 3?

Washington holds firm on its price for Su’a Cravens

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2018

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...r-sua-cravens/
    I asked about Cravens in a different thread. He has apparently had a very real issue with concussions and I don't think he would be a wise choice here. I loved him in the draft and thought we may even take him in the first round. I wouldn't trade a box of donuts for him now.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I asked about Cravens in a different thread. He has apparently had a very real issue with concussions and I don't think he would be a wise choice here. I loved him in the draft and thought we may even take him in the first round. I wouldn't trade a box of donuts for him now.
    In that case...Ladarius Green, lesson learned, hopefully.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Just say NO to Cravens. Concussion issues and questionable desire.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Eric Reid says owners haven't signed him because of protests

Nick Wagoner
    ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nding-new-team

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Nick Wagoner
    ESPN Staff Writer

Actually Eric Red, no safety has been signed as of yet.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Nick Wagoner
    ESPN Staff Writer

Ignoring the fact that there are several similarly talented safeties out there and all of them haven't signed either ... yeah, it must be racism or some secret conspiracy.

I know if I was hiring someone, for anything from NFL safety to McDonald's janitor, the loudly outspoken guy who's telling me I'm an asshole, and at the same time making a public spectacle of himself in ways that probably a third of my customers don't like ... well, among candidates of roughly equal qualifications, that guy is going to be last on my list. In fact, he'd better be head-and-shoulders above the rest to even be worth considering. Reid may be a decent safety, but he's not superlative compared to the other options out there.

Sorry dude. Players are always talking about how pro football is a business. And the only political stance that makes sense for a business to take is no political stance.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No thanks. I’d take Mitchell back before this guy...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No thanks. I’d take Mitchell back before this guy...lol.
    after reading that article I agree with you...

I wouldn't want Reid, either. I don't care what he does or does not protest off the field. But to bring it into the locker room and onto the field... no thanks.

That being said, I'd much rather pick up a veteran FS and focus on LB and filling holes elsewhere in the draft. I'd even be willing to give up a middle round pick or two for a second in 2020 with an eye on bundling that and our 2nd with our first to move up for a QB. Of course, that's the type of thing the Steelers never do, but still...

5 free-agent safeties still on the market for the Steelers

By: Curt Popejoy

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...-the-steelers/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Depth option visits

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...teelers-today/

Assume for a moment that Thomas signs. That leaves a depth chart looking like this:

S. Davis -SS
    ???? -FS
    Wilcox - SS
    Thomas - Swiss Army Knife?

Man that still doesn't look real good.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Depth option visits

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03...teelers-today/

Assume for a moment that Thomas signs. That leaves a depth chart looking like this:

S. Davis -SS
    ???? -FS
    Wilcox - SS
    Thomas - Swiss Army Knife?

Man that still doesn't look real good.
    Michael Thomas is a good special teamer. (They brought in Matt Slater, as well.)

It seems to me that the writing is on the wall for DHB.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Michael Thomas is a good special teamer. (They brought in Matt Slater, as well.)

It seems to me that the writing is on the wall for DHB.
    That and I think i saw somewhere that Golden played like 350-400 special teams snaps and was in super important roles.

That needs replaced...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    That and I think i saw somewhere that Golden played like 350-400 special teams snaps and was in super important roles.

That needs replaced...
    Our current depth chart:

SS: no one, no one
    FS: Davis, no one

Plus, that huge hole on special teams needs to be filled (hopefully the backups can play special teams). Our new secondary coach has two safeties in this draft.

With all of that in mind, could we see three safeties drafted???
    R1/R2: Justin Reid/Jessie Bates/Kyzir White
    R5: Allen, Penn St.
    R7: Apke, Penn St.

Realistically, we will sign one free agent safety; so, we will most likely not draft three safeties. Then again...

Also, we should look at which late-round safeties are also great at special teams. I know that Apke is faaast, but I do not know how he plays (on special teams or as a safety).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I know the rules on franchise QBs. However, with the talent hole in the middle of this defense, we should not go QB in the first round this draft. Just my opinion. We did not lose that playoff game because of lack of talent at the QB spot. And going forward I don't see winning many games unless we fix the defense. Your 3 safeties question is spot on. We could/should see something like that.

Will we see Mitchell or Golden get brought back? Mitchell is a maybe for less, but Golden didn't cost much to start with. A 1st round safety, possibly a 2nd round CB or safety could be the plan to get enough DBs on the field this season.

The Bostic signing reduces the need for a ILB like LVE, Jewell, or Kiser. Does not completely remove the need maybe but reduces the chances of a 1st/2nd round reach. IMO. Still need the Evans, Baker type ILB which I think will be available in the 3rd. Notice I said "type", not those 2 actual players probably. But perhaps a Genard Avery or Christian Sam could be there.

Also makes me think an early round edge rusher, which I thought was a lock, may not happen either. Unless one of those athletic freaks like Edmunds drops I think we will spend this draft fixing the safety and RB roles for 2019 and beyond.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If your signing a player to “replace Golden” on special teams and that player isn’t going to start or contribute a lot on defense, it’s a waste of money and really bad cap move. Golden’s “replacement” is going to have to do more than Golden or its an epic fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Well, I see that we're supposedly signing Morgan Burnett from the Packers, so there's a start.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Well, I see that we're supposedly signing Morgan Burnett from the Packers, so there's a start.
    Eric Reid was right, the Steelers are obviously racist.