Thread: Shazier will not play in 2018 per Colbert

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Shazier will not play in 2018 per Colbert

So there ya go.......

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Re: Shazier will not play in 2018 per Colbert

No surprise...

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

no surprised id love to know his progress

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I wonder what the "official" part of this turns out to be re: roster spots, salary cap and so forth. Colbert mentioned something about "other lists" that don't sound like he'd go on regular IR.

As I mentioned a while back, I also wonder if they would then try to "extend" his contract so that instead of 1 year, $8.7 million, it's 2 years, $8.7 million with all but the minimum as a signing bonus. That would have the benefit of not only spreading out the cap hit if he doesn't play again, but keeping him a member of the team if he actually does make it back in 2019, for example. (I assume at that point they'd tear up that deal and put him on a different one.) Or maybe the roster implications would be negative so they'll just eat the full $8.7 million which ... ouch.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This is probably the main reason I am a Steelers fan. This organization has always tried taking the high road with the players, made sure the players and families get taken care of when things go sideways, they know there is risk and cost but still do business with class and ethics. I remember reading an article about a Steeler's player that had negotiated a new lucrative contract and was then diagnosed with a career ending condition before signing the papers. When the player told the FO the situation, he was told to go down the hall and sign the new contract before the end of the day, and the league would be notified the following day of the player's condition.(My details may be off but that was the gist of the story) Class, business ethics, honesty, and just do the right thing without letting the organization get put in a bind. That is the Steeler way.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This is probably the main reason I am a Steelers fan. This organization has always tried taking the high road with the players, made sure the players and families get taken care of when things go sideways, they know there is risk and cost but still do business with class and ethics. I remember reading an article about a Steeler's player that had negotiated a new lucrative contract and was then diagnosed with a career ending condition before signing the papers. When the player told the FO the situation, he was told to go down the hall and sign the new contract before the end of the day, and the league would be notified the following day of the player's condition.(My details may be off but that was the gist of the story) Class, business ethics, honesty, and just do the right thing without letting the organization get put in a bind. That is the Steeler way.
    Brian Blankenship was an offensive lineman for the Steelers in the late 1980s and early 90s. An undrafted free agent out of Nebraska-Omaha, some might say he embodied the toughness that’s come to define the Steelers. He fought his way onto the roster and then into the starting lineup, playing in 61 games and starting 38 contests in 5 seasons with Pittsburgh.However, after agreeing to a contract extension in principle just before injuring his neck against the New England Patriots in 1991, Blankenship was informed that his career was over. He could have signed the deal and made it official before the team found out to protect his future, but he decided to talk to Rooney out of respect first. And his response was quintessential Dan Rooney.
    “I knocked on Mr. Rooney’s door and informed him of my prognosis and he was very kind and gave me praise for my short, 5-year career,” Blankenship recalled according to a tweet from a Pittsburgh Sports account. “I asked him about the new contract and he told me the deal was agreed to on Saturday and to get my butt across the hall and get it taken care of.”

It should be noted just for the record's sake that this was before the age of salary caps. I'm not sure if it would have mattered, though.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Shazier will not play in 2018 per Colbert

He’ll be back on the field in 2019. He may not be on the field in 2018 as a player, but his presence will be there...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Good. His health is the most important thing.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    He’ll be back on the field in 2019. He may not be on the field in 2018 as a player, but his presence will be there...
    I'd love to see that but I highly doubt he'll ever play again.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

should have drafted C.J. Mosley

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    should have drafted C.J. Mosley
    Maybe if Ozzy wasn't monitoring the draft threads and spying on our picks, he may have been there at our spot.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I'd love to see that but I highly doubt he'll ever play again.
    #SHALIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Shazier is working hard on his comeback.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/20...-fit-in-miami/
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Good. His health is the most important thing.
    Exactly !