Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayock: Boise State ILB Leighton Vander Esch Would Be ‘Great Fit’ For Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Mayock: Boise State ILB Leighton Vander Esch Would Be ‘Great Fit’ For Steelers

BY DAVE BRYAN FEBRUARY 26, 2018 AT 03:51 PM
    The Pittsburgh Steelers will almost assuredly spend an early selection in the 2018 NFL Draft on an inside linebacker due to the serious spine injury suffered last season by starter Ryan Shazier. Because of that position being high on the Steelers need list this year, NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock was asked during his annual pre-combine conference call with the media to name a player that might still be on the board in the first-round when Pittsburgh picks 28th overall.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02...-fit-steelers/

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Mayock: Boise State ILB Leighton Vander Esch Would Be ‘Great Fit’ For Steelers

Everything is riding on his 40 time.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Mayock: Boise State ILB Leighton Vander Esch Would Be ‘Great Fit’ For Steelers

Many have stated: “If only Matakevich had more speed...”

Well, that is basically who Vander Esch is: a faster version of Matakevich.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Many have stated: “If only Matakevich had more speed...”

Well, that is basically who Vander Esch is: a faster version of Matakevich.
    Not a thing wrong with that!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Not a thing wrong with that!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I'll agree with the emerging consensus. I try to avoid being a big "OMG!!! Look at the COMBINE #'s!!!! This kid is AMAAAAAZZZZIIINNNNG!!!"....but....I think it is super critical for Vander Esch. It is just hard to get a good handle on what kinda athlete he is. In fact it is kinda hard to get a good handle on anything about this guy because he is just so inexperienced at the position and there is just a bunch of unknowns.

More than the raw triangle #'s, I want to see more of the positional drill results and how well does he really move through traffic?

I was not a fan of this kid earlier (like even a week or so ago) when folks brought him up, but the more I read and the more I watch...the more I want to graciously ask for room to made on the hype train for me!

Whatta you say, Teegre, you've been banging the drum pretty good for this kid...room for a convert?

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    But, I see you've already updated your Early Mock Draft from Evans... Are you already on the train without the run, or is this just your Steelers Universe Mock Draft Contest head fake?!?!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    But, I see you've already updated your Early Mock Draft from Evans... Are you already on the train without the run, or is this just your Steelers Universe Mock Draft Contest head fake?!?!
    Both lol

Honestly I've warmed to to LVE the past couple of weeks. I like Evans from Bama but the Steelers have not drafted a player from Alabama since Townsend in 98', also I'm not sure he'll make it to #28 after his combine workout.

Also, anyone know's me back from Steelers Fever knows I change my mock a lot
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Here's the thing
    Strike 1: He's a catchers mit as a tackled
    Strike 2: He has trouble shedding blockers
    Both things out him at risk of being bowled over by an nfl power run game.

As far as I'm concerned if he isn't fast, it's strike 3.
    I'll continue to maintain they need a fast ilb that can cover and shed blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I'll agree with the emerging consensus. I try to avoid being a big "OMG!!! Look at the COMBINE #'s!!!! This kid is AMAAAAAZZZZIIINNNNG!!!"....but....I think it is super critical for Vander Esch. It is just hard to get a good handle on what kinda athlete he is. In fact it is kinda hard to get a good handle on anything about this guy because he is just so inexperienced at the position and there is just a bunch of unknowns.

More than the raw triangle #'s, I want to see more of the positional drill results and how well does he really move through traffic?

I was not a fan of this kid earlier (like even a week or so ago) when folks brought him up, but the more I read and the more I watch...the more I want to graciously ask for room to made on the hype train for me!

Whatta you say, Teegre, you've been banging the drum pretty good for this kid...room for a convert?
    Sounds like what many said about TJ last year.

Jump on, brother.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sounds like what many said about TJ last year.
    My new “dream” scenario is that Lamar Jackson is available at 28 and some top 12 or so second round team wants to trade back into the first round and take Jackson. Steelers then get a TJ Watt 2.0 at the top of the 2nd and pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick in the process!

- - - Updated - - -

Jump on, brother.
    I’m thinking about jumping on full bore!!

My new “dream” scenario is that Lamar Jackson is available at 28 and some top 12 or so second round team wants to trade back into the first round and take Jackson. Steelers then get a TJ Watt 2.0 at the top of the 2nd and pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick in the process!

- - - Updated - - -

I’m thinking about jumping on full bore!!
    Watt 2.0

“one year wonder”
    “switched positions/still learning to play”
    “looks slow”

Lamar Jackson
    I’d be verrry tempted to draft Jackson. But, trading would be a realistic possibility, because there’s a strong possibility that the Taperiots draft Jackson (coach him up for a few years, and he takes over when Brady retires).

You know who else was not “worthy” of a late-R1 pick? Watt

Lastly...
    All Aboard!!!

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Here's the thing
    Strike 1: He's a catchers mit as a tackled
    Strike 2: He has trouble shedding blockers
    Both things out him at risk of being bowled over by an nfl power run game.

As far as I'm concerned if he isn't fast, it's strike 3.
    I'll continue to maintain they need a fast ilb that can cover and shed blocks
    Strike 1:
    Donnie Edwards made a career out of being a catcher’s mitt. Admittedly, LVE doesn’t make many tackles behind the LOS. And, if those tackles are 3-4 yards past the LOS, then meh. But, for the most part, LVE makes those tackles between 1-2 yards past the LOS.

2 yards, 2 yards, 3rd-&-6.

Strike 2:
    Once an O-lineman gets his hands on LVE, he does seem to have some trouble disengaging. But, navigating through traffic is actually one of his strengths; he always seems to “sneak” through the congestion.

Strike 1:
    Donnie Edwards made a career out of being a catcher’s mitt. Admittedly, LVE doesn’t make many tackles behind the LOS. And, if those tackles are 3-4 yards past the LOS, then meh. But, for the most part, LVE makes those tackles between 1-2 yards past the LOS.

2 yards, 2 yards, 3rd-&-6.

Strike 2:
    Once an O-lineman gets his hands on LVE, he does seem to have some trouble disengaging. But, navigating through traffic is actually one of his strengths; he always seems to “sneak” through the congestion.
    Except for strike 1, the backs are bigger, stronger, and better at getting extra yards in the NFL than college, so 1-2 yards could turn into 3-4 yards without more drive on the tackle. As for strike 2, the linemen are better and faster. He won't be able to rely on avoiding traffic in the NFL, more so without a lot of speed, he's going to have to learn to shed blocks in the pros

Except for strike 1, the backs are bigger, stronger, and better at getting extra yards in the NFL than college, so 1-2 yards could turn into 3-4 yards without more drive on the tackle. As for strike 2, the linemen are better and faster. He won't be able to rely on avoiding traffic in the NFL, more so without a lot of speed, he's going to have to learn to shed blocks in the pros
    Strike 1:
    Except for the DEs and NT paving the way for Vander Esch will also be bigger, stronger, and better at slowing down running backs.

Strike 2:
    Except for the DEs and NT paving the way for Vander Esch will also be bigger, stronger, and better at freeing up their linebackers.

I know the guy has ardent supporters, but he just doesn't seem like someone you want defending against the inside power run game. It seems like if he was in on the 4th and goal from the 1 against Jacksonville instead of Spence, Jacksonville still scores the TD.

I know the guy has ardent supporters, but he just doesn't seem like someone you want defending against the inside power run game. It seems like if he was in on the 4th and goal from the 1 against Jacksonville instead of Spence, Jacksonville still scores the TD.
    1) I don’t know where to locate the statistic, but PFF listed Vander Esch as the third-best run-stopper innthe NCAA (first in this draft). It’s PFF... so, take that as you will.

2) IMO, if Matakevich is playing on that 4th-&-1, he stops Fournette. (Alas, he had a shoulder injury.) Spence hit Fournette, but simply could not stop him.

Vander Esch > Matakevich > Spence

Did he opt out of the 40?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Hopefully those extra 16lbs don't slow him down. I would rather have 240lbs and fast than 256lbs and slow. If he doesn't run in the mid 4.6's or better he won't be worth taking in the early rounds, IMO. The Steelers need a good or better starting ILB, not an average one.
    Hater = Realist

Per Tony Pauline (He's pretty good at this stuff)
    According to teams, Leighton Vander Esch has been crushing interviews and continues to impress people. After weighing in at 256 pounds and completing 20 reps on the bench, the Boise State linebacker is hoping to run under 4.7 in the 40-yard dash. Truth be told, anything at or below 4.75 would be a great time. I’ve been told the Green Bay Packers are very high on Vander Esch and that he won’t get past the Pittsburgh Steelers in Round 1.
    http://draftanalyst.com/combine-notes-day-5

Let's see their #'s from the individual tests and drills later today, but Darius Leonard is so far a physical clone of Edmunds and Vander Esch in a 3rd round package.

Rnd. 1 - Edge or Safety
    Rnd. 2 - BPA
    Rnd 3. - ILB solution

LVE likes the Steelers. I wonder if it’s reciprocal.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...ean-everything

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Per Tony Pauline (He's pretty good at this stuff)

http://draftanalyst.com/combine-notes-day-5
    The entire situation sounds a LOT like TJ Watt from last draft.

-position switch
    -one “good” year
    -not fast in shorts (plays faster)
    -connected with Green Bay’s R1 pick

LVE likes the Steelers. I wonder if it’s reciprocal.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...ean-everything

They gave him a formal interview because they liked what they saw on film, he has a solid off field history and is a heck of a nice young man. Sounds like TJ to me, so I'd say Yes!

They gave him a formal interview because they liked what they saw on film, he has a solid off field history and is a heck of a nice young man. Sounds like TJ to me, so I'd say Yes!

Ran an unofficial 4.66

- - - Updated - - -

Leonard ran 4.70 a little concerning

- - - Updated - - -

Ran an unofficial 4.66

- - - Updated - - -

Neither of those times concern me.

The drill I want to see is the 3-cone drill. Getting under 7.0 in that drill is far more important.