Thread: Goodell Expected to Fine Jerry Jones Millions

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Goodell Expected to Fine Jerry Jones Millions

With the support of many N.F.L. owners, Commissioner Roger Goodell is prepared to escalate his public feud with Jerry Jones, the owner of the Dallas Cowboys and long one of the most influential people in the league, by fining him millions of dollars for his efforts to derail negotiations to renew Goodell’s contract and for his outspoken defense of a star player who was suspended, according to five league officials with direct knowledge of the situation.

In November, Jones hired the high-profile lawyer David Boies and said he was prepared to sue the six owners on the league’s compensation committee, which had been working for months on extending Goodell’s contract. Jones also lobbied loudly for running back Ezekiel Elliott not to be penalized, and reportedly tried to influence league officials deciding his case. Elliott had been suspended by the league for six games before the season after the N.F.L. investigated domestic-assault allegations.

Jones will be ordered to pay the legal fees that the committee incurred defending itself, as well as the legal expenses the N.F.L. spent defending its decision to suspend Elliott....

The compensation committee includes some of the most powerful owners in the league, and close confidants of the commissioner. The members are the owners of the Chiefs, Falcons, Giants, Patriots, Steelers and Texans.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/s...jones-nfl.html

Serious payback by Roger, with the apparent support of old school owners of the Steelers, Chiefs and Giants who are tired of Jerry's bullshit

Since I doubt this would have happened if Bob Kraft was not on board I guess Kraft hates Jones more than he hates Roger

The NFL ownership relations and league office are a mess - I never thought the NFL would stop being the #1 U.S. sport but with bad management and CTE the NBA may pass it sooner than I would have ever thought possible until recently

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Goodell Expected to Fine Jerry Jones Millions

I am on Jones' side. He knows how to run a business and even wants to get in front of new player contract negotiations. Jones might be sleazy and doesn't have a clue how to be Cowboys GM, but the man knows how to make $.
    All Defense!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    The NFL ownership relations and league office are a mess - I never thought the NFL would stop being the #1 U.S. sport but with bad management and CTE the NBA may pass it sooner than I would have ever thought possible until recently
    Yep, and you can throw in increasingly shitty officiating to boot. Now that the cracks in the foundation are beginning to show and the NFL is no longer on autopilot in regards to ever-increasing revenue, this is where Goodell's incompetence will continue to become more and more glaring. Can't believe they gave him another extension...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This is going to get ugly and could be the end of both guys.

I'm not getting against Jerrah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yep, and you can throw in increasingly shitty officiating to boot. Now that the cracks in the foundation are beginning to show and the NFL is no longer on autopilot in regards to ever-increasing revenue, this is where Goodell's incompetence will continue to become more and more glaring. Can't believe they gave him another extension...
    Something else I can't believe is Direct TV raising the price of Sunday Ticket $100.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Something else I can't believe is Direct TV raising the price of Sunday Ticket $100.
    Threaten to drop your service and you get Sunday Ticket for free

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Just pirate the broadcasts like the rest of us freeloaders!

Screw the NFL and their contracted broadcast partners that make it basically impossible for me to watch the games I want without paying between 300-500+ dollars per year!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Just pirate the broadcasts like the rest of us freeloaders!

Screw the NFL and their contracted broadcast partners that make it basically impossible for me to watch the games I want without paying between 300-500+ dollars per year!
    I've never had much luck with streams. They're either filled with ads and malware, the quality is so low that you can't make out the players, or the streams get kicked offline and I'm constantly looking for a new feed instead of enjoying the game. =\
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    I've never had much luck with streams. They're either filled with ads and malware, the quality is so low that you can't make out the players, or the streams get kicked offline and I'm constantly looking for a new feed instead of enjoying the game. =\
    One of the best streaming sites was posted here early in the 2017 season. I'll PM it to you if you watch the other major league sports.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Threaten to drop your service and you get Sunday Ticket for free
    I'm done with them.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Gotta learn how to play or you'll be this frustrated with every provider eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Gotta learn how to play or you'll be this frustrated with every provider eventually.
    I don't watch much TV, football and few other sporting events through the year. I've got a good stream so there is no frustration on my part.

I either watch it at a sports bar or at home when it's on regular tv. I refuse to be held hostage to DerelicTV anymore.

That said. The article is BS. This is not a "fine." It is recouping court costs, and I see nothing wrong with what Goodell is doing here. Personally, I like loser-pay lawsuits. So, good for him. Had this been a fine or something outside of recouping cost, then I would have a different feeling about it.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I either watch it at a sports bar or at home when it's on regular tv. I refuse to be held hostage to DerelicTV anymore.

That said. The article is BS. This is not a "fine." It is recouping court costs, and I see nothing wrong with what Goodell is doing here. Personally, I like loser-pay lawsuits. So, good for him. Had this been a fine or something outside of recouping cost, then I would have a different feeling about it.
    I think originally they (multiple media reports, not just this one) said it was going to be a fine for "conduct detrimental to the league," and then later it changed to repaying legal fees. Whether that was Roger changing his tactics or that the press initially got it wrong, I don't honestly know.

I generally agree there should be repercussions for wasting everyone's time with frivolous lawsuits, but it doesn't sound like there was an actual lawsuit, just a lot of saber-rattling in public. I don't think you can be held accountable for that; if the league wanted to preemptively spend millions on legal fees with no actual lawsuit filed, that's their decision and theirs alone. One would think the league would have its own legal staff that's going to handle stuff before a case is actually filed, rather than paying through the nose for outside help; again, they take it upon themselves to blow a fortune on that, it's on them.

Flip it the other way - what if a company like, say, United Airlines lost my bag with a lot of important shit in it, and I tried to file a claim, and they told me to piss off. So I threatened to sue them if they didn't fix it. Then they sent me a bill for $2 million because they took it upon themselves to hire some New York law firm that charged them for hundreds of hours of work, before I'd even decided whether to actually file a lawsuit or not. That wouldn't be so good.

Of course, my opinion may be colored by the fact that I think Goodell is a horrible commissioner and overall probably not qualified to do anything besides eat an old man's asshole. But I think that's a pretty good reason not to side with him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

In an unrelated story....Jerry Jones expected to fire Roger Goodell.