Thread: Joe Haden's Value

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Joe Haden's Value

Really interesting article: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ons-nfl-rumors

Argues what I have long suspected - Haden is simply over-paid.

I would agree that a in a perfect world a massive salary reduction is coming his way, but don't think it will actually happen.

What does anyone else think? It seems most are okay with overpaying for Haden...if so, why?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Joe Haden's Value

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    It seems most are okay with overpaying for Haden...if so, why?
    Mainly because once you have a decent CB, finding a replacement (at any price) is a coin toss at best. Right now, for the Steelers specifically, there is also value attached to NOT creating a new hole to fill, so paying a little more to avoid that is OK. If we were a team with different goals - for example, Cleveland - then his contract would make less sense. Probably a big reason why they let him go.

FWIW, I didn't think he was bad at all last year. Maybe I'm just easily impressed after years of watching shitty CBs. Not dominant, but generally solid. Definitely not one of the worst starters in the league; that's just a load of horsecrap that they can take to Philly and eat. I've seen bad CBs and that wasn't it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think he may be overpaid, but not in the Mike Mitchell sense. I think 2018 should really be his year to show he still has pro bowl skills. If not, the young guys should be ready by 2019.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

The "numbers" may show that he has lost a step. He's obviously no spring chicken anymore, but he still has skills. And sometimes knowing assignments is more important than the make-up speed. I don't think he's as bad as what PFF numbers make him out to be... same as the author would agree. I believe his value is more about his experience and veteran leadership on and off the field, And while he's doing that, he's doing a decent enough job with his on field play. I don't recall many times when he was out there that it looked like he was over matched. Most times it looked like he took the pressure off Burns by taking the #1 guy. I honestly think the times he didn't even get his name called was because opponents were looking at other routes because he was locked into man to man primarily... and performed competently.

Now, arguably, he may not be worth 10 mil a year, but he already played hardball with the Browns over money. He rejected their offer, only to force them to cut him and sign here for the same check. Of course, it's obviously a far better environment to make that lateral move, but unless the FO and Tomlin can convince him to rework what he's already signed for, we are gonna be pretty locked into at least one more year of the high salary. He can help these younger guys be the eventual starters, because they still need a little more seasoning. Would you really want Sensabaugh to be that guy just to save a few million? Probably not.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think it's easy to forget that Haden is only 28.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Tree was a stat from ,as season, which I do not recall exactly, but it was something like this...

When Joe Haden was in the lineup, the Steelers allowed the least ppg.
    When Joe Haden was out of the lineup, the Steelers were 31st in ppg.

SUMMATION:
    Overpay the man.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Interesting takes. Was just reading that Aaron Colvin is expected to hit the market. Put up amazing stats as the 3rd CB in Jax.

2 years younger than Haden. Would you trade him at say like 9 million for Haden at 11+?

Or what about Trumaine Johnson at say $12 million per year?

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Interesting takes. Was just reading that Aaron Colvin is expected to hit the market. Put up amazing stats as the 3rd CB in Jax.

2 years younger than Haden. Would you trade him at say like 9 million for Haden at 11+?

Colvin is probably considered a slot corner. A very good slot corner, but we already have Hilton flashing there. We would need an efficient boundary guy to replace Haden.

Johnson could be that guy, but 2 years older and was previously the highest paid CB in the league at almost $17 mil per.... something he may not be able to consider at only $12 without some ego kicking in.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Haden has made the secondary better without a doubt. I agree with tegree pay the man.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Colvin is more of an inside guy and as said before, Mike Hilton: no need to explain that situation. Not to mention that Colvin probably benefitted heavily from a relentless Jaguars front 7. We have enough corners where i dont feel like we should be opting to get new ones. Werent we complaining on this board last offseason about how up and down Trumaine's career has been? Rams will easily outbid us anyways. Defense has been day and night with/without Haden. If im gonna overpay for a player, ill live with it if its at a premier position where weve sucked for a long time, and if that player is actually pretty good. Basically the opposite of our Mike Mitchell tolerance. I can see us jettison Haden before his final season but i think it would be smart to have him for at least one more. Burns started slow, but looked really good down the stretch (like his rookie season) and Sutton looks promising but theres still too many question marks here aside from Hilton
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

If they can restructure a deal to lighten his CAP hit ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    If they can restructure a deal to lighten his CAP hit ...
    hes only got 2 years left on his contract, thats a really odd time to restructure a deal, unless you're proposing an extension too
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

what's a drink of water worth in the desert?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Really interesting article: https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ons-nfl-rumors

Argues what I have long suspected - Haden is simply over-paid.

I would agree that a in a perfect world a massive salary reduction is coming his way, but don't think it will actually happen.

What does anyone else think? It seems most are okay with overpaying for Haden...if so, why?
    I believe some fans want to overpay him because he is the only player worth a damn in the secondary. I don't want to overpay, but this is what the team gets for neglecting the secondary for so long. To this day I have no idea why they wasted the first pick on Burns.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    hes only got 2 years left on his contract, thats a really odd time to restructure a deal, unless you're proposing an extension too
    Yeah, all it would do is move a cap charge into next year that we would have no way of getting out of (becomes dead money if he's cut). So basically guaranteeing that he'd be here both years at full price.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    what's a drink of water worth in the desert?
    Bingo!!!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I believe some fans want to overpay him because he is the only player worth a damn in the secondary. I don't want to overpay, but this is what the team gets for neglecting the secondary for so long. To this day I have no idea why they wasted the first pick on Burns.
    OMFG. Same person bitching about the OL for ten years until we got that fixed.