Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shazier says he wants to play again

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Shazier says he wants to play again

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-spinal-injury

Well. I suppose that answers that question.

Looming over that, of course, are whether he actually can do it (I would be amazed), or even if so, whether it'd be a good idea.

I guess that one sports doctor for the SD Union-Tribune said spinal stabilization surgery doesn't rule out resuming contact sports, but ... I dunno man, I'd be nervous every time the guy made a tackle.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Shazier says he wants to play again

Assume his health returns and there is zero medical risk. Dude is Wolverine or something. Can that speed and quickness be recovered? Bad example but Alis legs were never the same after his layoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I won't count on it, and personally think he should count his blessings and leave the game if he makes a full recovery.

However, deciding to play again is his decision, though other players have tried to come back after a serious neck injury and ended up just retiring after. Priest Holmes comes to mind, and arguably his injury wasn't as serious as Shazier's. If he does manage to come back to the game and play at the level he was, it'd be nothing short of a miracle.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

That HOF acceptance speech is going to be a real tear jerker.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

When/if the doctor's give him the clean bill of health, can you imagine the serious decision making Ryan is going to have to do ? ! Some serious God meditation, family conversations, talking with friends, and many, many sleepless nights. I hope and pray he makes the best decision. Good luck Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    That HOF acceptance speech is going to be a real tear jerker.
    If that ever happened, it'd be almost equal to the Rocky Bleier story. Of course, nothing will equate to getting wounded because you're serving your country, but just the comeback story in and of itself would be unbelievable.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Glad he wants to, but I don't see it. Even if he plays a snap of NFL football again, the chances of him not getting injured again at some point and missing time are virtually zero

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Shazier was often injured before the recent catastrophic incident. He needs to think about another career before he does anymore permanent damage.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

IF (and that's a big if) he can clear all the medical hurdles, and regain his form and strength he needs to learn how to tackle properly! No more leading with your head down. The question is can he? Once you learn how to tackle and you've done it your whole life can you change your game?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    IF (and that's a big if) he can clear all the medical hurdles, and regain his form and strength he needs to learn how to tackle properly! No more leading with your head down. The question is can he? Once you learn how to tackle and you've done it your whole life can you change your game?

You can, but it's very difficult. Tackling becomes such a natural thing that you don't even think about it. If you have to think about it...you play slower. I can see someone running to the ball and as they arrive, they freeze up just before contact and whiff on the tackle.

Think about everything you do naturally in your life without thinking about what you're doing or how. Now imagine training yourself to do it differently.......Not easy. It would take a while to get it done, but it can be done IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Maybe if he does see the field again, would he wear one of those neck colllars that some ILB's used to use before? Would one of those have prevented the injury?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Maybe if he does see the field again, would he wear one of those neck colllars that some ILB's used to use before? Would one of those have prevented the injury?
    If you're talking about the same ones I'm thinking of, probably not, I think those keep your neck from being bent backwards. Shazier's injury was basically getting hit on the top of the head with such force that it compressed downward onto his neck and sent a shockwave down his spine so hard that it caused an injury halfway down his back. Kind of like a hammer hitting a nail, stopping sideways motion won't do much to prevent that. If he was tackling with his head up, then the brace could stop you from getting hurt.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If you're talking about the same ones I'm thinking of, probably not, I think those keep your neck from being bent backwards. Shazier's injury was basically getting hit on the top of the head with such force that it compressed downward onto his neck and sent a shockwave down his spine so hard that it caused an injury halfway down his back. Kind of like a hammer hitting a nail, stopping sideways motion won't do much to prevent that. If he was tackling with his head up, then the brace could stop you from getting hurt.
    Yeah, it was the ultimate “compression “ fracture. The bad thing was .....it was his spine. Turns his head one way or the other and he’s out for a week.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Shazier was often injured before the recent catastrophic incident. He needs to think about another career before he does anymore permanent damage.
    Instead, he needs to think about what HE WANTS to do with his life and not worry about other people's opinions. I think he's already made his statement about what HE WANTS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    If he can learn to walk and run again I'm pretty sure he can learn how to tackle differently.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Instead, he needs to think about what HE WANTS to do with his life and not worry about other people's opinions. I think he's already made his statement about what HE WANTS.
    I disagree. For something this serious, worrying about other people's opinions is exactly what he needs to do because his actions will affect several other people. I'm not speak of web forums here, but of family, close friends, doctors, etc. If I had a personal relationship with him, I would be lobbying hard for him to hang up the cleats unless the doctors outright said there is no increased chance of a second occurrence or, if one happened, the chance of greater severity does not increase.

Of course he doesn't have to worry about what people on a forum say. On the other hand, people on a forum also get to voice their opinion and what he should and shouldn't worry about.

Ultimately that's what he's going to do. It's not like anyone on a message board can force him to quit.

On the other hand, we're certainly each entitled to form our own ideas about whether that's a smart move on his part or a dumb one.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I disagree. For something this serious, worrying about other people's opinions is exactly what he needs to do because his actions will affect several other people. I'm not speak of web forums here, but of family, close friends, doctors, etc. If I had a personal relationship with him, I would be lobbying hard for him to hang up the cleats unless the doctors outright said there is no increased chance of a second occurrence or, if one happened, the chance of greater severity does not increase.

Of course he doesn't have to worry about what people on a forum say. On the other hand, people on a forum also get to voice their opinion and what he should and shouldn't worry about.
    On the other hand, if they loved him they'd support him trying to get medically cleared to play again. If he's medically cleared, what's the issue? Every guy out there is at risk. No one should play if potential injury is the primary concern. And for all we know, his family and close friends support his decision.

On the other hand, if they loved him they'd support him trying to get medically cleared to play again.
    Loving someone doesn't mean supporting them in every decision they make. It means caring enough to be a countering voice when it's needed, but also caring about the person regardless of the final decision. I've been in situation where I've had to not support someone precisely because I loved them and believed the decision was very wrong for them. Doesn't mean I stopped caring for them, though.

That said, once again, who cares what we're saying on a message board.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Loving someone doesn't mean supporting them in every decision they make.

It means caring enough to be a countering voice when it's needed, but also caring about the person regardless of the final decision.

I've been in situation where I've had to not support someone precisely because I loved them and believed the decision was very wrong for them.

Doesn't mean I stopped caring for them, though.

Very well said and I agree.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Loving someone doesn't mean supporting them in every decision they make. It means caring enough to be a countering voice when it's needed, but also caring about the person regardless of the final decision. I've been in situation where I've had to not support someone precisely because I loved them and believed the decision was very wrong for them. Doesn't mean I stopped caring for them, though.

I don’t disagree with you but there’s nothing to indicate they aren’t supportive of his decision to try. He’s not married, right? No kids?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I think we all understand that there is danger for Ryan if he regains his form before the injury and decides to play football again.

The thing that many don't seem to understand is that while it's ok for us to think he should never play again....it's none of our business. As for his family, they have a right to tell him whatever they want, but in the end this is his decision to make. This is his life to do with however he chooses. If the people in his life truly love him, they will support his decision even if they don't agree with it.

This isn't like him deciding to run a meth lab as a life decision. This is someone trying to regain his honorable life as he lived it.

I would like to see him regain his physical abilities and never play again, but I'm not the one giving up something I love doing and have been preparing to do my entire life.

Again, this is his decision to make and nobody else's.

The people that don't support his decision are the one's being selfish. They're not the ones that would be giving up who they are.

It is very difficult to put yourself in his shoes if you have never walked that path.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I think we all understand that there is danger for Ryan if he regains his form before the injury and decides to play football again.

The thing that many don't seem to understand is that while it's ok for us to think he should never play again....it's none of our business. As for his family, they have a right to tell him whatever they want, but in the end this is his decision to make. This is his life to do with however he chooses. If the people in his life truly love him, they will support his decision even if they don't agree with it.

This isn't like him deciding to run a meth lab as a life decision. This is someone trying to regain his honorable life as he lived it.

I would like to see him regain his physical abilities and never play again, but I'm not the one giving up something I love doing and have been preparing to do my entire life.

Again, this is his decision to make and nobody else's.

The people that don't support his decision are the one's being selfish. They're not the ones that would be giving up who they are.

It is very difficult to put yourself in his shoes if you have never walked that path.
    Well said.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I don’t disagree with you but there’s nothing to indicate they aren’t supportive of his decision to try. He’s not married, right? No kids?
    He's engaged and has a child.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I want to play ILB, too. Doesn’t mean my dream will come to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I want to play ILB, too. Doesn’t mean my dream will come to fruition.
    Me too. And I'd pursue it if there was even 1% chance of it happening.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Even if he's physically capable at some point, he may never be there mentally. The game at that level is so fast, the slightest hesitation would make all the difference in the world. I'm not sure how he can discount what happened and how close he was to maybe never walking again. It would always be in the back of his mind IMO.

Parents, siblings, etc.

One thing I know is true, we both agree that we want Shazier to be able to come back and play without any concern.

What a great miracle it would be for him to make it back. I pray to God that he’s able whether it comes to fruition or not.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

If he can learn to walk and run again I'm pretty sure he can learn how to tackle differently.

I think Shazier was being magnanimous, but it is highly unlikely he will play again. There would only be a few similar comebacks in history from getting off the cross going back 2017 years. Even if he can run, how durable will he be considering he was never durable in the NFL?

Don't allow your emotions to overrule logic in this case. I hope he makes it, but he has a < 1% chance. I can only think of Jim Carey in Dumb & Dumber at this point.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I think Shazier was being magnanimous, but it is highly unlikely he will play again. There would only be a few similar comebacks in history from getting off the cross going back 2017 years. Even if he can run, how durable will he be considering he was never durable in the NFL?

Don't allow your emotions to overrule logic in this case. I hope he makes it, but he has a < 1% chance. I can only think of Jim Carey in Dumb & Dumber at this point.
    I'm sure he values your assessment.