Thread: Report: Steelers Want To Keep CB Joe Haden, But Only At Lower Price

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Report: Steelers Want To Keep CB Joe Haden, But Only At Lower Price

BY DAVE BRYAN FEBRUARY 17, 2018 AT 11:38 AM
    The Pittsburgh Steelers signed cornerbnack Joe Haden to a three-year, $27 million contract last August and the former first-round draft pick of the Cleveland Browns went on to have a nondescript season that was mainly highlighted by him missing five regular season games with a fractured fibula. With the start of the 2018 NFL league year now less than four weeks away, at least one major media reporter seems to think Haden might not be retained by the Steelers if he doesn’t accept some sort of pay cut.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02...n-lower-price/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Report: Steelers Want To Keep CB Joe Haden, But Only At Lower Price

They should try to get him at a cheaper deal, though I would rather have him at $12 mil than not at all given how much better the secondary was with him

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Sounds like Lacanfora just speculating with no basis.

Only way to lower Hadens cap charge is to restructure. That idea sucks. Or cut him and hope he resigns on a cheaper deal. That idea won't fly either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Pay the man what he signed for... we need him.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Sounds like Lacanfora just speculating with no basis.

Only way to lower Hadens cap charge is to restructure. That idea sucks. Or cut him and hope he resigns on a cheaper deal. That idea won't fly either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just like the weatherman and getting paid for it.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

La Canfora just spits out BS now.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

At this point, I would say keep Haden on his current contract for this season. Yes, it's going to cost, but right now he's worth every bit of it. It keeps him happy here while we find out more on Sutton, and gives Burns another season to grow as well. Haden carries more than just on-the-field value for this CB group. I don't see why we would just cut Gay either. A team is a team, not a bunch of individuals.

I love the idea of moving forward with McDonald and James as our TEs. Grimble has not shown anything, plus I would like to see more of Jake McGee before burning that bridge.

Letting Mitchell walk only makes sense if the Steelers first get a FA to replace him. I would rather not enter this draft with Davis and Golden as the only 'real' safeties on the team. There has been talk of moving Gay, Allen, even Haden to safety. Eh, Ummm, OK, I guess. I am all for taking the money Mitchell is supposed to earn, and using it to upgrade his position through FA, I truly am. Let's get that upgrade signed first.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    At this point, I would say keep Haden on his current contract for this season. Yes, it's going to cost, but right now he's worth every bit of it. It keeps him happy here while we find out more on Sutton, and gives Burns another season to grow as well. Haden carries more than just on-the-field value for this CB group. I don't see why we would just cut Gay either. A team is a team, not a bunch of individuals.

I love the idea of moving forward with McDonald and James as our TEs. Grimble has not shown anything, plus I would like to see more of Jake McGee before burning that bridge.

Letting Mitchell walk only makes sense if the Steelers first get a FA to replace him. I would rather not enter this draft with Davis and Golden as the only 'real' safeties on the team. There has been talk of moving Gay, Allen, even Haden to safety. Eh, Ummm, OK, I guess. I am all for taking the money Mitchell is supposed to earn, and using it to upgrade his position through FA, I truly am. Let's get that upgrade signed first.

I understand what you're saying about Mitchell, but sometimes as a team you just have to make a statement about what you're doing and why. If they don't want to pay Mitchell the money and they believe that they don't want his all talk with not much walk on the team, they may want to make that very clear to everyone on the roster.

I'm fine either way, but it's more about what the team thinks is necessary.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Maybe. But there is such a difference in dynamic between NFL players and "real world" employer/employee relationship. Basically these players don't "work" for the Steelers as employees, but more as contracted labor to do a specific job, individually. On a college roster such a move may make a statement or send a message to the team as a whole. This is just business between Mitchell and the FO. I do believe Mitchell will be with another team at the start of the 2018 season. I just don't see any reason to risk creating a hole that, today, has no real solution to fill.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

If it's LaCanfora or Rapaport I simply disregard. If there's any actual basis for this we'll find out soon enough.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    If it's LaCanfora or Rapaport I simply disregard. If there's any actual basis for this we'll find out soon enough.
    You can add in the Post Gazette "Cocoon" guys as well. They are lazier and lazier every year.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    You can add in the Post Gazette "Cocoon" guys as well. They are lazier and lazier every year.
    Yep...... they get paid the same either way :-/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Story is bullshit. What’s more funny is the author throws that title out there and then says he doesn’t think it will happen at the end of the analysis of LaCanforas jibberish...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler