Thread: Report: Steelers Trade Of CB Ross Cockrell To Giants Nets 6th-Round Draft Pick

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Report: Steelers Trade Of CB Ross Cockrell To Giants Nets 6th-Round Draft Pick

BY DAVE BRYAN FEBRUARY 15, 2018 AT 02:40 PM
    Just before the start of the 2017 regular season the Pittsburgh Steelers traded cornerback Ross Cockrell to the New York Giants in exchange for a 2018 conditional draft pick and since then there’s been a lot of speculation as to what round that selection might ultimately be. In his latest ‘Asked And Answered’ segment on steelers.com, Bob Labriola stated that the Steelers will receive the Giants sixth-round selection in 2018 NFL Draft as a result of that trade.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02...nd-draft-pick/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Report: Steelers Trade Of CB Ross Cockrell To Giants Nets 6th-Round Draft Pick

That's good news, everyone was saying 7th, instead they get a 6th, a high 6th

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Re: Report: Steelers Trade Of CB Ross Cockrell To Giants Nets 6th-Round Draft Pick

Thanks to the Giants for sucking!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Maybe best news of this week.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Not a hell of a lot of difference between a 6th and 7th rounder honestly, but I'll take whatever we can get.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Not a hell of a lot of difference between a 6th and 7th rounder honestly, but I'll take whatever we can get.
    Tom Brady and Antonio Brown were 6th round picks. It's a very good thing to happen. It certainly isn't a bad thing.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

So...

R1
    R2
    R3

(R4 traded)
    R5 (from San Fran)
    R5
    R6
    (from Giants)
    R6
    R7

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Tom Brady and Antonio Brown were 6th round picks. It's a very good thing to happen. It certainly isn't a bad thing.
    So were Ryan Mundy and Marvin Philip. Or did you mean the pick is super-valuable because there's something special about the 6th round where the players are randomly all good for no reason?

I mean, no, it's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't call it "very good." It's like finding a penny. Not much appreciable difference from a 7th-round pick in the grand scheme of things. Before we were getting "a draft pick" and now we're getting "a draft pick." You'll notice neither one is "a good draft pick."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Seems to me there may not be much difference between the numbers 6 and 7, but there does seem to be a difference in the quality of player available in 6 or 7. Thus the reference to Brady and AB. I guess Shannon Sharp or Donald Driver coming out of the 7th round makes a strong case for the last round talent pool as well.

So were Ryan Mundy and Marvin Philip. Or did you mean the pick is super-valuable because there's something special about the 6th round where the players are randomly all good for no reason?

I mean, no, it's not a bad thing, but I wouldn't call it "very good." It's like finding a penny. Not much appreciable difference from a 7th-round pick in the grand scheme of things. Before we were getting "a draft pick" and now we're getting "a draft pick." You'll notice neither one is "a good draft pick."
    Not sure how you took offense to my post. True, we will take whatever we can get. But pretty much everyone expected a 7th rounder, we ended up with a 6th rounder. For Ross Cockrell!! That is the very definition of BONUS. IMO, a very good thing to have happen. You don't necessarily have to agree that it's a very good thing, but I fail to see why you're taking issue with it. Getting 2 5th round picks AND 2 6th round picks is a much better position, again IMO, than having 2 5th AND 2 7th round picks.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I hope we use that 6th on a WR. The track record speaks for itself.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Option 1:
    We cut Cockrell. Get nothing in return. 0% chance for drafting a starter and/or All Pro.

Option 2:
    We trade Cockrell. Get a R7 pick in return. 4% chance of drafting a starter/ 1.2% chance of drafting an All Pro.

Option 3:
    We trade Cockrell. Get a R6 pick in return. 5% chance of drafting a starter/ 3.5% chance of drafting an All Pro.

SUMMATION:
    Option 3 is slightly better than Option 2, both of which are absolutely better than Option 1 (ZERO chance of getting anything in return).

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    So...

R1
    R2
    R3

(R4 traded)
    R5 (from San Fran)
    R5
    R6
    (from Giants)
    R6
    R7
    Interesting. We could bundle our round five and six picks and trade them to move up into the bottom of the fourth round, then pick on the 49ers and Giants' picks high in round five and six.

Not sure how you took offense to my post. True, we will take whatever we can get. But pretty much everyone expected a 7th rounder, we ended up with a 6th rounder. For Ross Cockrell!! That is the very definition of BONUS. IMO, a very good thing to have happen. You don't necessarily have to agree that it's a very good thing, but I fail to see why you're taking issue with it. Getting 2 5th round picks AND 2 6th round picks is a much better position, again IMO, than having 2 5th AND 2 7th round picks.
    I'm not offended by your post, I'm just a jerk. Sheesh, where were YOU when they were passing out the brains?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Interesting. We could bundle our round five and six picks and trade them to move up into the bottom of the fourth round, then pick on the 49ers and Giants' picks high in round five and six.
    Clarification:
    The Steelers only have the Giants R6 pick (we traded the other one). My mistake.

But, Yes... I’d trade any (all) of these picks to move up.

I'm not offended by your post, I'm just a jerk. Sheesh, where were YOU when they were passing out the brains?
    Umm...at your MOM's house.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

So...

R1
    R2
    R3

(R4 traded)
    R5 (from San Fran)
    R5
    R6
    (from Giants)
    R6
    R7
    Wasn't our 6th round pick traded to Tampa Bay for Wilcox and their 2019 Round 7 pick?

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Wasn't our 6th round pick traded to Tampa Bay for Wilcox and their 2019 Round 7 pick?
    Yep

Clarification:
    The Steelers only have the Giants R6 pick (we traded the other one). My mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I hope we use that 6th on a WR. The track record speaks for itself.
    I still love Richie James from middle Tennessee. Diminutive but productive Slot Receiver who isn't getting the attention that he should. Solid route runner and very elusive after the catch. Watch his tape and you walk away thinking that he seems to have the same build and skills as T.Y. Hilton.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Things that this kind of draft pick seems to be good for:

WR depth
    OL prospect who might succeed under Munchak
    LB depth
    DB who doesn't make the team
    DL who sucks nuts
    TE who sucks nuts and we keep him around for 3 or 4 years anyway
    RB who has an exciting preseason but it turns out he sucks nuts
    Long snapper

wait, scratch that last one
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Option 1:
    Get nothing for Cockrell.

Option 2:
    Holba, LS
    *Adams, OLB
    Feeney, OLB
    *Ayers, WR
    Matakevich, ILB
    Walton, DE
    Chickillo, OLB

Holliman, FS
    Zumwalt, ILB
    *McCullers, DT
    Blanchflower, TE
    J.Brown, WR
    V.Williams, ILB
    N.Williams, DE
    Clemons, WR
    Paulson, TE
    Frederick, CB
    Beachum, LT
    Williams, G
    Batch, RB
    Dwyer, RB
    A.Brown, WR

Worthington, DT

14 crap
    2 average players (Ayers, McCullers)
    1 with potential (Adams)
    3 rotation guys (Dwyer, Chickillo, Walton)
    1 special teams ace (Matakevich)
    2 starters (Beachum, V.Williams)
    1 All Pro (A.Brown)

That’s 10/23 that contributed... which is 43% success rate.

SUMMATION:
    43% chance > 0% chance

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

And Kiesel was a 7th rounder! I'd take him on my team any day as well.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02...krell-not-6th/

Labriola screwed up. Steelers do get a 7th, not a 6th, for the Cockring trade. Waste thread and articles from Depot.

Nice job, Labs.