Thread: Steelers Cap Clearing Moves Likely To Continue In Coming Weeks

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Steelers Cap Clearing Moves Likely To Continue In Coming Weeks

On Saturday it was reported that the Pittsburgh Steelershad restructured the contracts of guard David DeCastro and defensive end Stephon Tuitt that resulted in $13.2605 million in 2018 salary cap space being cleared. With those two restructures now done, they might not be the only ones the Steelers do between now and the start of the new league year in March.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02...-coming-weeks/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Steelers Cap Clearing Moves Likely To Continue In Coming Weeks

February 20th is the date when teams can place franchise tags on players, March 6th is the deadline.

So yes, more moves will happen so they can bring back Bell.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I hope that they clear enough to also sign a FA ILB. There are some good ones available that I'd love to see on the Steelers, like Nigel Bradham or Avery Williamson.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I hope that they clear enough to also sign a FA ILB. There are some good ones available that I'd love to see on the Steelers, like Nigel Bradham or Avery Williamson.
    I hope the Steelers go for ILB in free agency and the draft - Vince Williams did not look nearly so good once Shazier went out and Williams is an unrestricted free agent after 2018

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

What happens to Shazier's cap space if he has to retire because of his injury?

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I hope the Steelers go for ILB in free agency and the draft - Vince Williams did not look nearly so good once Shazier went out and Williams is an unrestricted free agent after 2018
    Yes, I think that's what's needed. A FA and a draft pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    What happens to Shazier's cap space if he has to retire because of his injury?
    I'm not sure. Hopefully we'll be able to recover at least part of it.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

From what I read here, it doesn't look like it.

The article doesn't mention anything about retiring but at this point why would Shazier retire if he's guaranteed $8.7 million this coming year? It's an interesting article. If there is any chance he could come back I see them extending him to get immediate CAP relief for next year. But at this point it looks like we may have to eat his full hit this coming year. Ugh.

I'd love to see them offer him a front office/coaching job and just have him retire for his own safety. I mean the guy could barely stand last week at the Pens game without help.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I’d love to see this free agency money be used for a FS... specifically, Lamarcus Joyner.

Since 2000, except for two years of Chris Hope (2004, 2005) the Steelers have had a free agent at FS.

2000-2003 Brent Alexander
    *2004-2005 *Chris Hope
    2006-2013 Ryan Clark
    2014-2017 Mike Mitchell
    2018-2021 Lamarcus Joyner???

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I’d love to see this free agency money be used for a FS... specifically, Lamarcus Joyner.

Since 2000, except for two years of Chris Hope (2004, 2005) the Steelers have had a free agent at FS.

*2004-2005 *Chris Hope
    2006-2013 Ryan Clark
    2014-2017 Mike Mitchell
    OR... what about a true in the box safety and move 205lb Davis to FS?

*2004-2005 *Chris Hope
    2006-2013 Ryan Clark
    2014-2017 Mike Mitchell
    Honest question, why Lamarcus Joyner? Prior to this season, I watched pretty much every Rams game and I never saw anything special in him. He's little, basically a slot CB playing safety. Personally I don't want a 5' 8" 190 lb safety. He's too small to cover a TE.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Honest question, why Lamarcus Joyner? Prior to this season, I watched pretty much every Rams game and I never saw anything special in him. He's little, basically a slot CB playing safety. Personally I don't want a 5' 8" 190 lb safety. He's too small to cover a TE.
    Good points. As far as size goes, a FS can be small, as long as he breaks up passes (Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu).

There’s also Kenny Vaccaro and Eric Reid... who would play SS (and, as Born2Steel suggests) while Sean Davis would move to FS.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

*2004-2005 *Chris Hope
    2006-2013 Ryan Clark
    2014-2017 Mike Mitchell
    Joyner would be a dream. Reid could be a sneaky good add, definitely a big upgrade over Mitchell at worst. Morgan Burnett is still the guy I insist is the most realistic safety for the Steelers if they're looking for a starter
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Good points. As far as size goes, a FS can be small, as long as he breaks up passes (Earl Thomas, Tyrann Mathieu).

There’s also Kenny Vaccaro and Eric Reid... who would play SS (and, as Born2Steel suggests) while Sean Davis would move to FS.
    It's not just the size with Joyner. I never saw anything from him that stood out. Nothing that made me think that he was anything more than just a guy. He may have improved dramatically this year under new coaching but the couple of games that I watched he still didn't stand out to me.

I'm more intrigued by Eric Reid (not a fan of Vaccaro). Sign Reid, move Davis to FS and then draft a safety and I'm good.

It's not just the size with Joyner. I never saw anything from him that stood out. Nothing that made me think that he was anything more than just a guy. He may have improved dramatically this year under new coaching but the couple of games that I watched he still didn't stand out to me.

I'm more intrigued by Eric Reid (not a fan of Vaccaro). Sign Reid, move Davis to FS and then draft a safety and I'm good.
    Duly noted. I watched one Rams game over the past few years; so, I’ll (obviously) defer to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Joyner would be a dream. Reid could be a sneaky good add, definitely a big upgrade over Mitchell at worst. Morgan Burnett is still the guy I insist is the most realistic safety for the Steelers if they're looking for a starter
    Morgan Burnett

I knew that I was forgetting someone.

Nope. I thought so as well. But after someone else said something, I went and looked up the CBA agreement. As it turns out, because we signed him to the final year, and because he would be released due to injury (if he was released), we are on the hook for the entire salary.

I don't like it, personally. Don't get me wrong, I think Shazier should get the rest of his contract salary. I just think there should be a waiver of some type that can be applied to injury salaries when it comes to the cap.

Duly noted. I watched one Rams game over the past few years; so, I’ll (obviously) defer to you.
    LOL, I'm definitely not an expert. Just my feelings on him. I know that people seem to think more of him than I do.

Morgan Burnett is another guy that I like although I think that someone is going to pay him a good contract.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Updating the Steelers’ salary cap situation after making several moves

Behind the Steel Curtain
    2/18/18

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/d0bd7...7;-salary.html