Thread: 2018 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Boise State ILB Leighton Vander Esch

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

2018 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Boise State ILB Leighton Vander Esch

From now until the 2018 NFL Draft takes place, we hope to showcase as many prospects as possible and examine both their strengths and weaknesses. Most of these profiles will feature individuals that the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to have an interest in, while a few others will be top-ranked players. If there is a player you would like us to analyze, let us know in the comments below.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02...n-vander-esch/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: 2018 NFL Draft Player Profiles: Boise State ILB Leighton Vander Esch

That’s my guy.

(same picture & everything)

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The team needs to draft an ILB that can disengage from blocks and do well in coverage. Really hoping Rashaan Evans is available

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I like him but not sure I'd spend a 1st on him.

Like above, I sure hope Evans will be there at #28.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think I posted this exact same article in the draft post. It is a good read on Vander Esch. The part of him that is a legitimate concern, is where it says, "slow getting off blocks", and "tackles more like a catcher's mitt".

This guy seems to be a larger version of dirty red. He can diagnose plays and get to the ball. The big questions are, how fast can he get there, and can he get through the traffic consistently? We do not want another guy that gets lost and washed out. (refer to the Jags games)

The more I look at this ILB class, it's not very top heavy. I hope we pick our guy and if he's not there at 28, take another position rather than reach and miss. IMO, Vander Esch is a 2nd round ILB in this draft.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think I posted this exact same article in the draft post. It is a good read on Vander Esch. The part of him that is a legitimate concern, is where it says, "slow getting off blocks", and "tackles more like a catcher's mitt".

This guy seems to be a larger version of dirty red. He can diagnose plays and get to the ball. The big questions are, how fast can he get there, and can he get through the traffic consistently? We do not want another guy that gets lost and washed out. (refer to the Jags games)
    He’s a faster, bigger version of Big Red. Both were/are tackling machines: Vander Esch led the NCAA in stops.

Vander Esch isn’t as fast as Shazier (who is), and thus, the “catcher’s mitt” reference. He won’t have many tackles for losses, but he’ll rack up 100s of tackles for 2-3 yard gains. He doesn’t miss tackles (which is arguably the biggest problem for this defense).

Once engaged with a blocker, it appears that Vander Esch has trouble disengaging. But, IMO, he maneuvers very well through the muck (he avoids getting blocked). He makes a beeline for the ball carrier... even through a pile up.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    He’s a faster, bigger version of Big Red. Both were/are tackling machines: Vander Esch led the NCAA in stops.

Vander Esch isn’t as fast as Shazier (who is), and thus, the “catcher’s mitt” reference. He won’t have many tackles for losses, but he’ll rack up 100s of tackles for 2-3 yard gains. He doesn’t miss tackles (which is arguably the biggest problem for this defense).

Once engaged with a blocker, it appears that Vander Esch has trouble disengaging. But, IMO, he maneuvers very well through the muck (he avoids getting blocked). He makes a beeline for the ball carrier... even through a pile up.
    How much emphasis do you put on his one year of production?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...er-esch-1.html

There's no doubt Vander Esch is a "Wow" prospect at ILB. I just don't see enough to put him in the first round yet. Combine numbers plus 2017 stats may change that though.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So Vince Williams? I mean the Steelers have enough guys at ILB that can't play on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Not sure where another one gets us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    How much emphasis do you put on his one year of production?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...er-esch-1.html
    His situation reminds me of TJ Watt: a position change, learning on the fly, one good season (but, the arrow is pointing up).

(Vander Esch was a QB.)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    His situation reminds me of TJ Watt: a position change, learning on the fly, one good season (but, the arrow is pointing up).

(Vander Esch was a QB.)
    I think that WR Lazar from ISU has a similar background. QB, WR, FB, ILB, Jack of all trades.

Here's footage from the bowl game against Oregon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V8dZI_HZX8