Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JuJu or Martavis: Who was the Steelers second-best receiver in 2017?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

JuJu or Martavis: Who was the Steelers second-best receiver in 2017?

A statistical look at who staked their claim in 2017 as the Pittsburgh Steelers’ best receiver whose name is not Antonio Brown.

When watching the Pittsburgh Steelers’ wide receiver trio of Antonio Brown, Martavis Bryant, and JuJu Smith-Schuster, there’s little doubt about which of them is the best receiver in town.

Antonio Brown led all Steelers receivers in receptions (101), targets (162), yards (1,533), and touchdowns (9) during the 2017 regular season. On top of that, Brown led the entire NFL in both receiving yards (1,533) and receiving yards per game (109.5) despite the fact that he missed the final two and a half games of the regular season.

While few would dispute Brown’s claim to the Steelers receiving corps’ throne, some early season locker room drama raised questions about who was the second-best receiver on the roster.

After a Week 7 victory against the Cincinnati Bengals, where Martavis Bryant caught a single pass for 3-yards, Bryant took to Instagram. When a commenter wrote, “JuJu’s better”, Martavis responded, “Juju is no where near better than me fool.”

So now that the 2017 season has come to an end, the question is: was Martavis right?............

read more @ https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...-2017-nfl-news

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: JuJu or Martavis: Who was the Steelers second-best receiver in 2017?

Juju had nearly 1000 yards as a rookie wasn't allowed to legally drink until over halfway through the season. More yards than martavis

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Not even close. JuJu by a mile. Any analytic that says different is broken.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The stats say: JuJu

The eyeball test says: JuJu

Common sense says: JuJu

Sooo... Bryant???

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Between those 2? JuJu had the better overall season, and is probably the better NFL WR. Meaning route running, clutch catches, blocking, the whole package. MB still has more upside and potential though, just based on speed and size. He's a matchup nightmare for DBs or should be.

However, Bell still had more receptions than both. So stat-wise, he's in the conversation as well.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

No question it's JuJu. There's really no comparison between the two and that's without even considering blocking ability, which puts JuJu even higher.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

In 2017 it was JuJu. It may be JuJu for the length of their time on the same roster - whatever that ends up being. But it should be Martavis Bryant. And it shouldn't even be close. While JuJu is no slouch himself, Bryant is just a staggering collection of physical gifts. He should always be open. He should never get caught from behind. He should...the list goes on.

Long story short - JuJu is better because he has learned how to work at being a WR. Bryant could be better but he isn't and he won't be until he learns how to work at being a better WR not just a guy who is taller and faster than most. It is frustrating and hard to understand because every other WR on the roster is a worker and has made significant strides in route running, adjustments, etc. 2018 off-season and preseason will be fascinating to watch. If Bryant keeps his head and works at harnessing his almost limitless potential he could scorch the NFL in way we have rarely seen. Or he could keep going as he is and never be more than he is now.

I would really hope that the example of Justin Hunter would motivate Bryant. Because that is his future if he isn't careful.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Juju had nearly 1000 yards as a rookie wasn't allowed to legally drink until over halfway through the season. More yards than martavis
    You're on to something. Once JuJu started drinking booze, he because like the drunken master of WR. Give that man some alcohol!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

The one who got their bike stolen.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Jujube's significant others are his bike, his new puppy and his Xbox One.

Martavious has his overcontrolling girlfriend.

Who do you think had the better season?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Martavious has his overcontrolling girlfriend.
    Whats her name........Mary Jane I think?

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

For 2017.....JuJu. Good competition for next year though. Let's see who keeps clean over the off season. Hopefully the little, young minds won't get in any trouble....and stay away from the Tide pods !

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

If Bryant plays like he did down the stretch both physically and mentally I don't care.

Juju is great in the slot and if you line him up with either guy next to him to stretch the field deep that leaves a lot of slot stuff for Juju. One thing Juju clearly is way better at than Bryant is RAC! If those two can lead multiple defenders away from Juju and you get him the ball in open space his RAC is fun to watch!

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

We should trade Martivis when we have the chance. His PR team put a lid on him half way through the season. But you can tell he is going to resurface as a cancer once he sees JUJU is taking his spot full time.

Im 100% on the get rid of the bad culture guys this year.

Bryant for a 2nd round pick would be great

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    We should trade Martivis when we have the chance. His PR team put a lid on him half way through the season. But you can tell he is going to resurface as a cancer once he sees JUJU is taking his spot full time.

Nobody is giving a 2 for Bryant. I don't know why that notion keeps popping up. It's a 4 or a 5 at best. That said, it wouldn't bother me dropping him for a 6. I didn't see much of anything from him last year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Nobody is giving a 2 for Bryant. I don't know why that notion keeps popping up. It's a 4 or a 5 at best. That said, it wouldn't bother me dropping him for a 6. I didn't see much of anything from him last year.
    I'd be shocked if you got that for him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post

I suggested trading MB for a 3rd/4th round pick in this year's draft.(A few weeks ago) There were no takers at all. I get the logic but I don't think anyone else will.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Juju is a no brainer but honestly in the playoffs Bryant balled and juju was a no show

Bryant might not have put up the same numbers but the guy does have a way of showing up in big games

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Bryant might not have put up the same numbers but the guy does have a way of showing up in big games
    True. Bryant shines when the lights are brightest.

Trading Bryant just literally takes the team around in a circle. Best you could hope for is a 4th round pick. Now you also have a WR depth chart that really only goes 3 deep considering Rogers’ injury. So you’re going to be drafting a WR - most likely with that 4th round pick you got in trade for Bryant. Who the hell are you drafting in the 4th round who is gonna be significantly better than Bryant? Sure, he has his head lodged squarely up his own ass and has a ton to learn about being a complete WR, but still. Most likely you’re gonna come away with Sammie Coates 2.0, or Torrey Smith, or one of these bums: http://pfref.com/tiny/FRnlS

5 years of 4th round wideouts and ONE name jumps off the page. You guessed it - Martavis Bryant.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Trading Bryant just literally takes the team around in a circle. Best you could hope for is a 4th round pick. Now you also have a WR depth chart that really only goes 3 deep considering Rogers’ injury. So you’re going to be drafting a WR - most likely with that 4th round pick you got in trade for Bryant. Who the hell are you drafting in the 4th round who is gonna be significantly better than Bryant? Sure, he has his head lodged squarely up his own ass and has a ton to learn about being a complete WR, but still. Most likely you’re gonna come away with Sammie Coates 2.0, or Torrey Smith, or one of these bums: http://pfref.com/tiny/FRnlS

5 years of 4th round wideouts and ONE name jumps off the page. You guessed it - Martavis Bryant.
    This 1000%...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

JuJu back in school

As I averred several times throughout the season...

JuJu may not be the best player in the (entire) 2017 draft, but he is absolutely the most marketable.

He’s fun. He’s funny. He knows how to use social media (the correct way) to its fullest. Casual fans love him. Heck, even Taperiots fans like the kid. He will be the FACE of the NFL for a long, long time. And, if not for AB already being on Sunday Night Football’s intro, he would absolutely be on there next season. Heck... I wouldn’t be surprised if NBC had both him and AB on their intro.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

JuJu may not be the best player in the (entire) 2017 draft, but he is absolutely the most marketable.

He’s fun. He’s funny. He knows how to use social media (the correct way) to its fullest. Casual fans love him. Heck, even Taperiots fans like the kid. He will be the FACE of the NFL for a long, long time. And, if not for AB already being on Sunday Night Football’s intro, he would absolutely be on there next season. Heck... I wouldn’t be surprised if NBC had both him and AB on their intro.

He says he's not ever going to change. I hope that's true.

This kid is such a breath of fresh air. This is what fans want to see from more players. Being funny, human, humble, and accessible.

He's awesome on so many levels.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I'm more concerned that JuJu is carrying a man purse...and it doesn't look like a European Carryall...He's a dandy, he's a real fancy boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

He kind of reminds me of Rod Smart (He Hate Me) from the XFL. The guy wasn't the top running back, but he sure as hell sold the most jerseys, and even people who never watched football knew who he was