Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 49ers Reach Agreement With QB Jimmy Garoppolo Making Him Highest Paid Player in NFL History

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: 49ers Reach Agreement With QB Jimmy Garoppolo Making Him Highest Paid Player in NFL History

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    All of this is correct - but I think all it does is explain WHY the strongest possible team of today looks a lot different from the strongest possible team in the 1990s. Some teams have been much better at adapting to the new way of doing things than others, and it has paid off with wins on the field. However, I still think the best team today will top out at maybe 75% as good as the best teams in the previous generation, and usually won't last for as long.

Basically, starting in the late '90s, being successful started having a lot more to do with your money management than it used to, and in the late '00s it also became heavily weighted toward getting the most out of guys in their first 4 years when they are still playing for cheap. Yes, there are ways to adapt to it and be successful ... on the other hand, I think the "new normal" that they instituted is one in which Moneyball-style team management is the secret sauce. And while that takes a certain kind of skill, it's a lot different from "just put together the best football team you possibly can," and the reason why the best teams now aren't as good as they used to be, and most have one or more obvious flaws.
    Were those pre salary cap days teams really the best they could be with little to no holes or did they just follow the "blueprints" of the era?

I remember no one really knew what to do with sub 220 pound RBs who could catch and run in space prior to like 1996 or so. Now look at what teams are doing with those kinds of weapons. Imagine if someone had thought of that in say the '80's o 90's and just victimized the jumbo sized run stopping LBers of the era with wheel routes and RPOs? I mean we saw a bit of how effective that could be with Roger Craig, but I remember few other teams wanting to do that because running the ball and imposing your will with a 225+ pound battering ram was the agreed upon template at the time.

Did no human males grow to 6 feet 4 and around 240 Lbs that could run and catch before? Why did it take until the mid 2000's for coaches to be be like "Hey - I bet that kid could do some serious damage at TE!" I'm betting the main reason has something to do with "blocking" and "totally crappy at it".

I totally acknowledge that the salary cap and league rules currently place some severe restrictions on what teams can and can not do. But there is always something and over its entire history, the NFL as a broad collection of teams has demonstrated a consistent tendency towards conservation and being slow to innovate. Typically some other venue serves as the incubator for the innovation and only after it is proven does an extremely risk averse NFL incorporate the new idea(s). People in the NFL said the 3-4 wouldn't work. Spread concepts couldn't flourish. Scatbacks. Speed WRs. Etc...Etc...

The next innovation is out there. The NFL just needs to recognize it and learn the lessons. For instance, everyone wants to laugh at Chip Kelly. And for much of it they are right. But again, the NFL learned the wrong lessons from the Kelly disaster(s). Don't throw everything out, just the stupid bits that don't work! But pushing the pace on offense (Pats have had a few SB seasons playing at a manic pace on that side of the ball), running multiple plays out of the same basic formation (many good offenses do some of this) and whatever he did to make bad QBs look like MVPS (with the dearth of great QBs you would think more teams would get on board) all worked. These ideas and elements of the overall Chip Kelly crapfest can be salvaged and successfully applied in other situations, but instead most of the NFL just sits back and is like "LOL! Gimmick Offenses are dumb!"

Currently, almost every NFL team is struggling mightily to defend "college offenses". The rise of run pass options, spread concepts, pistol type stuff - might be the story of the 2017 season. Gee...if there was only an entire level of football dominated by those offensive concepts and full of defensive strategies for dealing with them. I think they play on several Saturdays each fall. For crying out loud, the same concepts are prevalent in most big-time high school programs. Think none of those coaches have any worthwhile ideas? Meanwhile, defensive coordinators around the NFL are seen weekly standing on the sidelines with no answers while their team gets torched.

These and other reasons are why I have no patience for the salary cap and rules make everything too hard argument. It isn't that it isn't true it is just that it is (to me) evidence of a larger problem.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 49ers Reach Agreement With QB Jimmy Garoppolo Making Him Highest Paid Player in NFL History

I'm not sure how I gave that impression, but I never said the rules make it too hard. What I said was in regards to very specific safety rules that have taken common sense out of the league, AND handicapped defenders. What I am talking about there is, for example, 'A pass rusher reaches to swat the ball from the QB's hand and in the process brushes across the back of the QB's helmet.' That results in a 15yard roughing call, and for what exactly? OR, 'A pass rusher gets blocked to the ground and falls into the QB's legs.' That also results in a 15 yard roughing penalty. RBs can lower their helmets at contact with no penalty, but the defender will get a targeting penalty. These are a couple specific rules I was referring to.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm not sure how I gave that impression, but I never said the rules make it too hard. What I said was in regards to very specific safety rules that have taken common sense out of the league, AND handicapped defenders. What I am talking about there is, for example, 'A pass rusher reaches to swat the ball from the QB's hand and in the process brushes across the back of the QB's helmet.' That results in a 15yard roughing call, and for what exactly? OR, 'A pass rusher gets blocked to the ground and falls into the QB's legs.' That also results in a 15 yard roughing penalty. RBs can lower their helmets at contact with no penalty, but the defender will get a targeting penalty. These are a couple specific rules I was referring to.
    Yeah. I can totally agree with that. I would argue (just for the fun of it) that the rule isn't the problem it is the absolutely ludicrous manner in which NFL refs are interpreting stuff and the inability of the central review process to separate common-sense reality from super-slo mo HD replay.

If the league was actually serious about improving anything and not just terrified of acknowledging mistakes, they would simply find the cash to hire full time officials and put these guys in a 12 month training and work cycle. Like an actual difficult job - which it is. Instead we get a bunch of part-time guys who, while dedicated, can't seem to all agree on what the rules actually mean let alone how to call them!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't disagree. The refs discussion is a whole different thread though.

When Steve Young won a SB for the 49ers, it tarnished the Joe Montana legacy some. There is little doubt in my mind that if Tom Brady did indeed cause the trade of Jimmy Garappolo, it was to make sure the QB that follows does not repeat history, and tarnish the Tom Brady legacy.
    I think Jimmy G will have a successful career, I just don't trust the 49ers FO to give him the help he's going to need.