Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 49ers Reach Agreement With QB Jimmy Garoppolo Making Him Highest Paid Player in NFL History

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

49ers Reach Agreement With QB Jimmy Garoppolo Making Him Highest Paid Player in NFL History

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...473412473.html

The San Francisco 49ers have reached an agreement with quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. Garoppolo will be highest paid player in NFL. Announcement soon to come.

According to NFL Network reporter Mike Garafolo on Twitter: "The 49ers and QB Jimmy Garoppolo have agreed to a five-year, $137.5 million contract, source says. The biggest deal in NFL history on a average-per-year basis."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: 49ers Reach Agreement With QB Jimmy Garoppolo Making Him Highest Paid Player in NFL History

Not surprising. He will
    Hold that title for a few weeks and then there will be someone else higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: 49ers Reach Agreement With QB Jimmy Garoppolo Making Him Highest Paid Player in NFL History

Oh my! I knew it would be a lot, but not THAT much

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not surprising. He will
    Hold that title for a few weeks and then there will be someone else higher.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Reworking Ben's contract to add that third year is not going to come cheap - Green Bay is going to have to recruit fans out of the stands to fill out the roster after paying Rodgers for his next deal

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Garoppolo is worth every cent.

The best news about this is that the Taperiots traded away a HOF QB, because Tom Brady’s ego couldn’t handle having Garoppolo breathing down his neck. Good luck finding an heir apparent half as good as Garoppolo.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

The best news about this is that the Taperiots traded away a HOF QB, because Tom Brady’s ego couldn’t handle having Garoppolo breathing down his neck. Good luck finding an heir apparent half as good as Garoppolo.
    Jimmy G is a Haller after 5 games?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

They will be calling him Jimmy Crappalo after a few seasons in SF. Too much non-football drama on the team. Many of the players are more concerned about airing their feelings of oppression rather than playing football.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I heard it was because Tom Brady couldn't handle Garoppolo refusing to go down on him.

True story. I heard it from "a source."
    See you Space Cowboy ...

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I'm sure that's not what he is saying. They will have a hard time finding a QB ad good as Jimmy G.

Edit: haha, never mind I just reread his post . That is what he said

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Agreed. Let's not send him to the HoF just yet. That kind of a contract for a player who's barely played in the NFL is ridiculous IMO.
    “I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!” - Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Well at least he has a handful of games to base the salary on. Rob Johnson had a huge pay day based on one 300 yard game...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yeah... I hyperbolized a tad.

But, that’s because I want that trade to be one of the biggest gaffs in NFL history. It’d be a nice endijg to Brady’s career (that he screwed his own franchise).

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Yeah... I hyperbolized a tad.

But, that’s because I want that trade to be one of the biggest gaffs in NFL history. It’d be a nice endijg to Brady’s career (that he screwed his own franchise).
    I actually think that is one of the things Brady is actually trying to do. He wants the New England Patriots to always be about him, him, him. Once he retires, they won't be able to function without HIM (because Garoppolo is gone), and he will remain relevant.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Future MVP candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    I actually think that is one of the things Brady is actually trying to do. He wants the New England Patriots to always be about him, him, him. Once he retires, they won't be able to function without HIM (because Garoppolo is gone), and he will remain relevant.
    You know... that makes total sense. Tom wants the Taperiots to suck without him, so that his legacy looks even better. He’s just egomaniacal to do that. Really... great point.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    True. Montana was no longer the best ever once the 49ers won with young. It became about Walsh's genius.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    True. Montana was no longer the best ever once the 49ers won with young. It became about Walsh's genius.
    Bill Walsh wasn't the coach then. Even for the last one of Montana's championships, I think it was George Seifert.

Anyway, you know what? I hope the Patriots sick without Brady too. It'll be good to see them suck. As far as his legacy goes, I'm hopeful that he'll have some Milli Vanilli moment when the opponent's stolen playbook gets broadcast over the on-air feed instead of his own personal cheating channel, and then we also find out he's a drug smuggling sex offender.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Bill Walsh wasn't the coach then. Even for the last one of Montana's championships, I think it was George Seifert.

Anyway, you know what? I hope the Patriots sick without Brady too. It'll be good to see them suck. As far as his legacy goes, I'm hopeful that he'll have some Milli Vanilli moment when the opponent's stolen playbook gets broadcast over the on-air feed instead of his own personal cheating channel, and then we also find out he's a drug smuggling sex offender.
    Yes, Seifert was the coach. I was referring to Walsh's west coast offense. Montana was perceived the best ever, then Young ran the same system to another SB. Now, as great as Montana was, the credit for those team's success goes to Walsh.

Yes, Seifert was the coach. I was referring to Walsh's west coast offense. Montana was perceived the best ever, then Young ran the same system to another SB. Now, as great as Montana was, the credit for those team's success goes to Walsh.
    I guess. I mean, people think the 49ers were just this all-out high-powered offense the whole way through, but that didn't really start until the tail end of Walsh's career. The '81 and '84 teams won largely by having a bad-ass defense featuring three or four All-Pros in the secondary, and an offense that was pretty good.

Jerry Rice and John Taylor and all the record-setting offense didn't come around until after they won the first two Super Bowls, but that's what everyone remembers. To me, it was two almost completely different teams with completely different styles. Another reason why Montana >>>>> Brady. And while Walsh deserves a hell of a lot of credit, I don't think it was just one "system" the whole way through; arguably the better part of his success came before they even had the tools to make that work.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I guess. I mean, people think the 49ers were just this all-out high-powered offense the whole way through, but that didn't really start until the tail end of Walsh's career. The '81 and '84 teams won largely by having a bad-ass defense featuring three or four All-Pros in the secondary, and an offense that was pretty good.

Jerry Rice and John Taylor and all the record-setting offense didn't come around until after they won the first two Super Bowls, but that's what everyone remembers. To me, it was two almost completely different teams with completely different styles. Another reason why Montana >>>>> Brady. And while Walsh deserves a hell of a lot of credit, I don't think it was just one "system" the whole way through; arguably the better part of his success came before they even had the tools to make that work.
    Right. But sticking to the thread posts.....There was a time in football history when Joe Montana was considered the best QB ever. Generally speaking. Montana's legacy lost a bit of shine once Young won a SB with the same players and system. Generally speaking.

As it pertains to Lady Steels' post, Tom Brady is now considered the best QB ever. Generally speaking. If another QB (Jimmy Garoppolo in this thread) immediately followed Brady and also won a SB, that too would tarnish the legacy of Brady. The 'credit' for those SB teams would go mostly to Bellicheat. Just a casual observation of the similarity between the 2 franchises and their QB's legacy. SO, Brady gets rid of Garoppolo to ensure his own legacy. Follow?

Right. But sticking to the thread posts.....There was a time in football history when Joe Montana was considered the best QB ever. Generally speaking. Montana's legacy lost a bit of shine once Young won a SB with the same players and system. Generally speaking.

As it pertains to Lady Steels' post, Tom Brady is now considered the best QB ever. Generally speaking. If another QB (Jimmy Garoppolo in this thread) immediately followed Brady and also won a SB, that too would tarnish the legacy of Brady. The 'credit' for those SB teams would go mostly to Bellicheat. Just a casual observation of the similarity between the 2 franchises and their QB's legacy. SO, Brady gets rid of Garoppolo to ensure his own legacy. Follow?
    I get WHY Brady behaves that way, you're absolutely right about that. And about people's perception of Montana after Young came along. I just think the reality of Montana's career is a bit different from what people remember.

Young probably benefited a lot more from the West Coast offense than Montana did, and despite being incredibly talented, only won a single championship. To me, the almost "overlooked" first couple of titles say more about Montana than the more famous ones later. But as you point out, someone's legacy is about what people remember, and most people probably don't remember Montana without Rice or Bill Walsh. When actually the three of them were only all on the team at once for the third title.

Total side note: The fact that Young only got one championship on that team, despite being a near-perfect fit, speaks volumes about the insane level of competition in the late '80s through mid '90s, which I actually believe was where the skill and intensity of the game reached its all-time peak. Several teams - 49ers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Bills to name a few - probably could've topped what the Patriots did if they weren't all facing each other. For that matter, the Steelers probably would've won a couple championships during that time if all that wasn't going on. The current Patriots would've been somewhere between the Annoying "Red Dog Offense" Warren Moon Oilers and the Championship-Losing Broncos for All But Two Years of Elway's Career.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I get WHY Brady behaves that way, you're absolutely right about that. And about people's perception of Montana after Young came along. I just think the reality of Montana's career is a bit different from what people remember.

Young probably benefited a lot more from the West Coast offense than Montana did, and despite being incredibly talented, only won a single championship. To me, the almost "overlooked" first couple of titles say more about Montana than the more famous ones later. But as you point out, someone's legacy is about what people remember, and most people probably don't remember Montana without Rice or Bill Walsh. When actually the three of them were only all on the team at once for the third title.

Total side note: The fact that Young only got one championship on that team, despite being a near-perfect fit, speaks volumes about the insane level of competition in the late '80s through mid '90s, which I actually believe was where the skill and intensity of the game reached its all-time peak. Several teams - 49ers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Bills to name a few - probably could've topped what the Patriots did if they weren't all facing each other. For that matter, the Steelers probably would've won a couple championships during that time if all that wasn't going on. The current Patriots would've been somewhere between the Annoying "Red Dog Offense" Warren Moon Oilers and the Championship-Losing Broncos for All But Two Years of Elway's Career.
    Those 80s and 90s teams were the epitome of controlled violence. Coach Lou Holtz was fond of the saying, "Knock a snot bubble off". I do not believe the game has been "wussified" so much as fine tuned. Because of the focus on player safety, and the inherent dangers of the game itself, the controlled violence had to be controlled even more. I think the hits can still be made just as hard and with the same violence, but it has to be a more fundamentally sound breakdown and tackle. Many players are simply lazy by nature, and just don't practice the technique they are taught. Taking the thinking out of their play, they merely shoulder into a ball carrier hoping to dislodge the ball or knock the runner down/out of bounds. The problem I have with this is it slows down defenders in order to get into proper position. The advantage goes overwhelmingly to the ball carrier. I think we saw a lot of that evidence in this year's playoffs. The best defenses on the season could not match pace with the top offenses.
    Why would a defense pressure a QB when falling into his legs is subject to a penalty and a new set of downs. In the process of making the game "safer", we've gotten rid of common sense.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

This game is way out of hand and out of reality!

Those 80s and 90s teams were the epitome of controlled violence. Coach Lou Holtz was fond of the saying, "Knock a snot bubble off". I do not believe the game has been "wussified" so much as fine tuned. Because of the focus on player safety, and the inherent dangers of the game itself, the controlled violence had to be controlled even more. I think the hits can still be made just as hard and with the same violence, but it has to be a more fundamentally sound breakdown and tackle. Many players are simply lazy by nature, and just don't practice the technique they are taught. Taking the thinking out of their play, they merely shoulder into a ball carrier hoping to dislodge the ball or knock the runner down/out of bounds. The problem I have with this is it slows down defenders in order to get into proper position. The advantage goes overwhelmingly to the ball carrier. I think we saw a lot of that evidence in this year's playoffs. The best defenses on the season could not match pace with the top offenses.
    Why would a defense pressure a QB when falling into his legs is subject to a penalty and a new set of downs. In the process of making the game "safer", we've gotten rid of common sense.

There's that, and also the hard salary cap that made it impossible to keep a "complete" team together for more than a year or two.

Those three things are what the Patriots have figured out how to take advantage of mercilessly. The new rules that favor the passing game. A system that lets you plug-and-play enough that you can leverage the salary cap into a huge advantage. And the fact that the defensive secondary is only as good as its worst player, and it's also the hardest place to maintain all four positions at above-average - so they have devised an offense that punishes that specifically. I don't think any of what they do would work against the '80s-'90s Bears, Giants, 49ers, Cowboys, etc., because you could actually field a complete team back then. But those kinds of teams can't even exist today.

All of those are good moves to maximize winning within the current framework of the game, but it's actually worse football than we had ~25 years ago. Kind of like how Floyd Mayweather can win a lot of fights because what he does works NOW, and he can claim to be the best of all-time - but anyone over about age 30 can see he would obviously get run over by lots of other past champions, especially if they somehow normalized it for different rules and styles.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Isn't this what gets said every 10 years or so? Are we all forgetting how much people railed against the west coast offense as destroying real football? Remember when the run and Shoot was going to bring down the league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Isn't this what gets said every 10 years or so? Are we all forgetting how much people railed against the west coast offense as destroying real football? Remember when the run and Shoot was going to bring down the league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't remember those EXACT arguments, but I do remember watching the league adjust defensively. What seems to be going on now is not some new offense forcing defenses to adjust, rather new rules that handicap defenses. That's how I see it anyway.

Schemes are just schemes, they last for a few years before other people either figure out how to counter them, or just copy them and run them better.

The hard salary cap was a fundamental and permanent change in the game for a different reason. They might as well have called it a Talent Cap. It basically guarantees that there are going to be a certain number of holes on each team, and most often at a handful of positions. That didn't "invent" the Belichick System, but it favors the hell out of things like it.

And more to the point, it made it so that the best team you can assemble is significantly worse than the one you could assemble circa 1990. A huge shift in the balance of power (which admittedly was getting a bit lopsided, but I don't think it was quite the crisis some believe), but at the expense of a drop in the level of overall competition.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I don't remember those EXACT arguments, but I do remember watching the league adjust defensively. What seems to be going on now is not some new offense forcing defenses to adjust, rather new rules that handicap defenses. That's how I see it anyway.
    Schemes are just schemes, they last for a few years before other people either figure out how to counter them, or just copy them and run them better.

The hard salary cap was a fundamental and permanent change in the game for a different reason. They might as well have called it a Talent Cap. It basically guarantees that there are going to be a certain number of holes on each team, and most often at a handful of positions. That didn't "invent" the Belichick System, but it favors the hell out of things like it.

And more to the point, it made it so that the best team you can assemble is significantly worse than the one you could assemble circa 1990. A huge shift in the balance of power (which admittedly was getting a bit lopsided, but I don't think it was quite the crisis some believe), but at the expense of a drop in the level of overall competition.
    But you should just adjust. Multiple fundamental rule changes have come down over the years in pro football. Rules limiting the hitting of WRs over the middle changed defenses and put some guys out of a job just like the concussion stuff did now. There was discussion that without the head slap DL wouldn't be as effective. It goes on and on. I will agree that the rules are heavily slanted in the offenses favor and it will always be that way as long as the sport's life-blood is TV and fantasy money. For those purposes no one wants a 17-10 battle.

For the cap stuff, multiple teams have shown the path to getting a complete roster. First you have to draft well and start those draft picks early in their contract cycle. Second, you have to be open to different ideas on where to get players and what roles to give them. Teams are too locked into set cookie cutter ideals of what each position type looks like. As a result talented players slip through the cracks. Does anyone believe that Mike Hilton just learned how to ball out last off-season? He just doesn't fit the size-speed mold for a CB in the NFL so teams looked past him. Third, you have to be bold and trust your evaluations. The Eagles filled in their roster by making mid round draft pick trades for Ajayi, Jernigan, Darby, and a few others. All are now likely to be resigned and were major contributors to a championship roster. In a sense, that is really all Bill B has been doing as well, except instead of using draft picks to pick through teams' rosters he looted veteran FAs that fit his system.

All I am trying to say is that teams are in the modern salary cap world of building rosters around about 6 high $$ guys, a single handful of core veterans at mid range dollars, and then whatever cheap rookies and vets you can find. The days of having 3 deep rosters and young players having to pay their dues by sitting for a few years are gone. And many teams are failing to adjust. They have not developed systems, schemes, and teaching methods that allow them to "plug and play" as the roster is forcibly turned over on an annual basis. Smart teams are moving to this kind of system. It boggles my mind that the NFL can not pivot towards some aspect of this as a high % of NFL coaches have a background in the college game where you get a roster for 2-4 years. Take those same ideas about how to integrate players on the fly and adapt them at the pro level. You are going to have holes and you are going to have significant annual or at best 2 year roster turnover.

But you should just adjust. Multiple fundamental rule changes have come down over the years in pro football. Rules limiting the hitting of WRs over the middle changed defenses and put some guys out of a job just like the concussion stuff did now. There was discussion that without the head slap DL wouldn't be as effective. It goes on and on. I will agree that the rules are heavily slanted in the offenses favor and it will always be that way as long as the sport's life-blood is TV and fantasy money. For those purposes no one wants a 17-10 battle.

For the cap stuff, multiple teams have shown the path to getting a complete roster. First you have to draft well and start those draft picks early in their contract cycle. Second, you have to be open to different ideas on where to get players and what roles to give them. Teams are too locked into set cookie cutter ideals of what each position type looks like. As a result talented players slip through the cracks. Does anyone believe that Mike Hilton just learned how to ball out last off-season? He just doesn't fit the size-speed mold for a CB in the NFL so teams looked past him. Third, you have to be bold and trust your evaluations. The Eagles filled in their roster by making mid round draft pick trades for Ajayi, Jernigan, Darby, and a few others. All are now likely to be resigned and were major contributors to a championship roster. In a sense, that is really all Bill B has been doing as well, except instead of using draft picks to pick through teams' rosters he looted veteran FAs that fit his system.

All I am trying to say is that teams are in the modern salary cap world of building rosters around about 6 high $$ guys, a single handful of core veterans at mid range dollars, and then whatever cheap rookies and vets you can find. The days of having 3 deep rosters and young players having to pay their dues by sitting for a few years are gone. And many teams are failing to adjust. They have not developed systems, schemes, and teaching methods that allow them to "plug and play" as the roster is forcibly turned over on an annual basis. Smart teams are moving to this kind of system. It boggles my mind that the NFL can not pivot towards some aspect of this as a high % of NFL coaches have a background in the college game where you get a roster for 2-4 years. Take those same ideas about how to integrate players on the fly and adapt them at the pro level. You are going to have holes and you are going to have significant annual or at best 2 year roster turnover.

All of this is correct - but I think all it does is explain WHY the strongest possible team of today looks a lot different from the strongest possible team in the 1990s. Some teams have been much better at adapting to the new way of doing things than others, and it has paid off with wins on the field. However, I still think the best team today will top out at maybe 75% as good as the best teams in the previous generation, and usually won't last for as long.

Basically, starting in the late '90s, being successful started having a lot more to do with your money management than it used to, and in the late '00s it also became heavily weighted toward getting the most out of guys in their first 4 years when they are still playing for cheap. Yes, there are ways to adapt to it and be successful ... on the other hand, I think the "new normal" that they instituted is one in which Moneyball-style team management is the secret sauce. And while that takes a certain kind of skill, it's a lot different from "just put together the best football team you possibly can," and the reason why the best teams now aren't as good as they used to be, and most have one or more obvious flaws.
    See you Space Cowboy ...