Thread: AR2 On Steelers Divorce From Harrison: ‘There’s Probably Blame On Both Sides Of The Fence’

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

AR2 On Steelers Divorce From Harrison: ‘There’s Probably Blame On Both Sides Of The Fence’

This past Sunday most of us sat and watched Former Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison play in Super Bowl LII as a member of the hated New England Patriots and that includes team president Art Rooney II. On Wednesday, Rooney was asked to talk about what all transpired this past season in regard to Harrison that ultimately resulted in the franchises all-time sack leader being waived in Week 16.
    According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Rooney said Wednesday during his annual end-of-the-season interview with the local media that waiving Harrison “was a disappointment,” but also indicated that he was involved in that decision.
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02...e-sides-fence/

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: AR2 On Steelers Divorce From Harrison: ‘There’s Probably Blame On Both Sides Of The Fence’

Did he deserve to play more than we played him?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: AR2 On Steelers Divorce From Harrison: ‘There’s Probably Blame On Both Sides Of The Fence’

At least he lost in the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, I think he proved that he can still play, maybe not at an elite level but still enough to be effective. So if an audition to keep playing next year was his goal, he accomplished that, as well as make me wonder what the hell we were doing when he was on our team.

On the other other hand, there's still no excuse for behaving the way he did if the reports I've heard are true. So basically he can still play, and both he and the coaches look like jerks.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

And, once again, I ask...

Would you “really” bench Watt in order to play Harrison???

Junior Member Array title="KillerBees is an unknown quantity at this point"> KillerBees's Avatar

Gotta give Watt as many snaps as you can. The guy could be really special with more time. I think the organization simply had to just move on to the next thing. James Harrison became sour because he didn’t feel he was a backup. So they parted ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

yes Harrison could still play but he's on the down swing/end of his career and you've got to develop the players that are going to be with the team for the next 3-5 years if we want to remain competitive for more than a year at a time. I do think it could have been handled better but I see where the Steelers were coming from as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Harrison can still set the edge well and he still has a hell of a bull rush, but that's about all he brings to the table. His lack of speed is what kept him off the field. Too much of a liability playing in space.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Deebo will be in the Steelers Hall of Honor and we'll forget all of this long after he retires.

He made no difference in the Super Bowl. He's no more than a backup now.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

This ! I lost all my respect and ' faith' in his Steeler loyalty when he signed with the bungholes. And then he really proved it to me when he signed with the cheats. He's washed up, got what he deserved ( yea, NO ring you SOB), don't want him back ( can't get that cat smell out from bungholes), and I'm sure we can get someone just as good from the draft. Time to move on .....him and us.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Deebo will be in the Steelers Hall of Honor and we'll forget all of this long after he retires.

That would Dupree is worse than a backup.

Didn't Harrison reportedly have 7 to 8 pressures in the SB?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    This ! I lost all my respect and ' faith' in his Steeler loyalty when he signed with the bungholes. And then he really proved it to me when he signed with the cheats. He's washed up, got what he deserved ( yea, NO ring you SOB), don't want him back ( can't get that cat smell out from bungholes), and I'm sure we can get someone just as good from the draft. Time to move on .....him and us.
    They don't even have anyone on their roster as good as Harrison when it comes to being an edge rusher and setting the edge.

So you expected Harrison to willfully remain unemployed after being cut?

You must really hate Rod Woodson.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    At least he lost in the Super Bowl.

On the other hand, I think he proved that he can still play, maybe not at an elite level but still enough to be effective. So if an audition to keep playing next year was his goal, he accomplished that, as well as make me wonder what the hell we were doing when he was on our team.

On the other other hand, there's still no excuse for behaving the way he did if the reports I've heard are true. So basically he can still play, and both he and the coaches look like jerks.
    I didn’t see much from him in the Super Bowl. I really don’t think we need a 40-year-old edge player on the field.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I didn’t see much from him in the Super Bowl. I really don’t think we need a 40-year-old edge player on the field.
    I'm not suggesting we re-sign him or anything. He was probably better than Dupree, though, who neither generated pressure nor stopped the run.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    And, once again, I ask...

Would you “really” bench Watt in order to play Harrison???
    Nope, although I would have rotated him in to get some reps and have impact.

That being said, Deebo is no longer a Steeler and not likely to ever be back, so I personally don't care much how things went down. Just moving onto the draft...moving on.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers need younger depth, not the washed up 40 year old who bitchedhis way out of Pittsburgh

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Harrison actually had some nice pressures and defensive awareness in the Super Bowl. Would I replace Watt for Harrison? No way. But Harrison could’ve still contributed some how...just not the way HE wanted and frankly, he doesn’t have the talent to do what the Steelers ask their OLBs to do now. It’s not all the same responsibilities as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Harrison actually had some nice pressures and defensive awareness in the Super Bowl. Would I replace Watt for Harrison? No way. But Harrison could’ve still contributed some how...just not the way HE wanted and frankly, he doesn’t have the talent to do what the Steelers ask their OLBs to do now. It’s not all the same responsibilities as it used to be.
    I can recall 2 good pass rushes and some good instincts, but the lasting image for me will be Harrison and the entire rest of the Pats front 7 being too slow to keep up with the Iggles running backs in space - both rushing and passing.

I hate to say it, but there were multiple long rushes to Harrison's side of the defense. I love me some Deebo, but nothing I can recall from the SB made me say, "wow. I do miss that. That would've turned the tide against team X."

Can he still play? Sure. Should he be getting 50+ snaps per game? Oh hell no.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I'm not suggesting we re-sign him or anything. He was probably better than Dupree, though, who neither generated pressure nor stopped the run.
    Yep. Teams have always played their first round picks. Every team does it and always will. Too much is invested. Dupree has one more year to show it.