Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statement from Carnell Lake

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Statement from Carnell Lake

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...8-8fd59f559290

Carnell Lake Statement
    I have decided to return to California to be able to be a part of my youngest son’s last year of high school football.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Statement from Carnell Lake

Hmmm....Good news/bad news??? Who's your first call?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

That may indeed be true. But it can also read like Lake being told he's out but he can go out on his own terms. I suspect we will never know, and I wish Lake the best. He was always one of my favorite players and I was excited when he came here. Maybe Perry gets brought in? Recently "let go" from a similar position with the Packers.

That being said -- I do not think he was a good position coach nor did he have any "untapped" DC potential. This may be totally unfair on my part, as what do I really know? But, I can't think of a DB who really developed during Lake's tenure. It isn't so much that his guys regressed either. It is simply that nothing really happened. At least from a fan's perspective. In contrast, I can look at RB, WR, OL, and DL and see a # of guys who came to Pittsburgh and got significantly better than they either were projected to be coming out of college or had been in their previous NFL stops.

Now if Porter could just need to attend to his family...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Good, one down a few more to go!

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

What about Deshea Townsend? What's he up to these days?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post

Just got hired w/the Giants w/new coach Shurmur

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post

Please no more Steeler player coaches. Better to look long and hard at outside possibilities.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Yep, Porter should be next

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Wish him the best of luck. Loved him as a player. Meh...as a coach.

Thinking of an out of the box type answer to your question...maybe Greg Schiano? Ohio State keep cranking out NFL Caliber CBs and Safeties so maybe there's something to him coaching back there. Not sure he'd want to give up the OSU DC/Asst HC/Safeties/DBs job though...

I may give Rod Woodson a call if you are going to stay within the "family" but not sure what his status is...I think he was coaching the Raiders CBs last year?

Just throwing a couple names out there...

Who is the "Mike Munchak" of DBs???

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Lake did the team a favor. He wasn't good as a position coach

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

This sounds like AJRII had a sitdown with Tomlin like he did after the 2011 season when Arians "retired" - doubtful Lake found out this week his son's team will be playing football this fall - secondary was a wreck while high draft picks Burns and Davis did not progress as expected in second seasons

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Thinking of an out of the box type answer to your question...maybe Greg Schiano? Ohio State keep cranking out NFL Caliber CBs and Safeties so maybe there's something to him coaching back there. Not sure he'd want to give up the OSU DC/Asst HC/Safeties/DBs job though...

I may give Rod Woodson a call if you are going to stay within the "family" but not sure what his status is...I think he was coaching the Raiders CBs last year?

Too bad the trigger was not pulled three weeks ago before possible replacements were hired for other staffs

Schiano said this morning he is staying at OSU after being rumored to be the new Patriots DC (hopefully this means he pulled a McDaniels on Belichick )

Contrary to a published report Monday that Greg Schiano was expected to join the New England Patriots as their new defensive coordinator, the Ohio State defensive coordinator told SI Wednesday morning that he is staying at OSU. A source told SI that Schiano, who is very close to Bill Belichick, had the opportunity to join the Patriots’ staff, although it was unclear if it would be as defensive coordinator.

https://www.si.com/college-football/...ve-coordinator

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Please no more Steeler player coaches. Better to look long and hard at outside possibilities.
    Agreed. Let's hire someone who can come in and help our DBs improve. Lake didn't do that. I loved him as a player but he just wasn't a very good coach.

I'm reading this as he was basically forced out. I hope that's what it is because that tells me that they know they need to improve the coaching and this is the first step.

Send Porter packing next and that will be two good first steps.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Woodson has stated that the Steelers would be a "dream" job. But, like others have said, maybe it's time for some outside minds.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Not sure I would go after Woodson given the Raiders didn't have an INT until I think week 12

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Not sure I would go after Woodson given the Raiders didn't have an INT until I think week 12
    Yea, the Raiders DBs haven't been very good while he's been the coach.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

John Butler went from Texans to Bills and I think Perry is looking for the DC spot with Titans. Gil Byrd was fired from the Bills, but not sure he really has a track record of success.

Either way, as much as I was a fan of Lake as a player. The year he kept pumping up the tires of Antowan Blake, while he was just a turnstile, solidified that he is not a good solution as a DB coach. I agree that Porter should be next to go. Imagine the progress TJ Watt can make with a good OLB coach?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Woodson has stated that the Steelers would be a "dream" job. But, like others have said, maybe it's time for some outside minds.
    Ike Taylor has said the same.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Yes please!! Find a wily veteran coach with a proven system of development.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Can't say I'm disappointed. Long over due to upgrade this coaching position. If we are really lucky, we will notice the improvement as quickly as we did with Munchak.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just throwing this out there but how about bringing Ray Horton back? He did a pretty good job with the Steelers as the DB coach.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Not bad news in my book. Maybe Porter could find something to do too.......maybe being a 'bouncer' at a neighborhood Pitt. bar ! ?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Rod Woodson, Dom Capers are two names on top of my head for potential replacements

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Didn’t know that about Schiano. Think Capers would “downgrade” to a DB Coach?

I think we may get a fresh name out of the deal...???

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Player progression has been zero with Lake in charge. Lots of high draft picks and expensive players, struggling to play well as a unit, or individually except for the rare ones who don't need to improve any further (Haden).

Reminds me almost exactly of the offensive line before Munchak.

The good news is, it's fixable. Maybe the talent really is there and we don't need an overhaul. The question is, who's the Mike Munchak of defensive backs? Woodson or Taylor is probably wishful thinking, easy way out that got us here in the first place.

This may also mean no extensive shakeup in the secondary, maybe everyone stays including Mitchell if we thought it was the coaching that was the problem. It certainly would be nice if we didn't need to use a high pick on safety and could instead spend it fixing our pass rushing issue or filling the Shazier gap. Or even a future Ben/Bell replacement that we wouldn't have the luxury of otherwise.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

He was probably told he was going to be canned. Porter next? I hope so.

Still need a DC.
    Hater = Realist

I think dismissing a possible replacement coach just because he was a player here, is the same reaction as hiring a replacement coach just because he was a player here. Do some diligence and make a GOOD hire. I don't care what his name is, or where he played football before, or IF he played football before. There are lots of good coaches out there.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think dismissing a possible replacement coach just because he was a player here, is the same reaction as hiring a replacement coach just because he was a player here. Do some diligence and make a GOOD hire. I don't care what his name is, or where he played football before, or IF he played football before. There are lots of good coaches out there.
    I don't know if that's the intention, at least it wasn't mine ... but the odds that one of your own recent players, with little/no coaching experience, will just happen to also be among the best position coaches in the league are pretty slim. But the bias toward selecting your own guys is probably a lot higher than that.

I don't really care who we get either as long as they're competent, but knee-jerking it is not the way. In fact, it's usually what you do the first time, that then teaches you to broaden your horizons after the results are disappointing.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't know if that's the intention, at least it wasn't mine ... but the odds that one of your own recent players, with little/no coaching experience, will just happen to also be among the best position coaches in the league are pretty slim. But the bias toward selecting your own guys is probably a lot higher than that.

I don't really care who we get either as long as they're competent, but knee-jerking it is not the way. In fact, it's usually what you do the first time, that then teaches you to broaden your horizons after the results are disappointing.
    I absolutely agree. My real point is there are some good position coaches out there, and a lot of them are former NFL players. I'm not saying go out and hire Rod Woodson or Ike Taylor, just that I would at least give them a call and invite an interview. IMO, Woodson, and Kevin Green should both get interviews this offseason.
    Is Jim Mora Jr still looking for a job?

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I absolutely agree. My real point is there are some good position coaches out there, and a lot of them are former NFL players. I'm not saying go out and hire Rod Woodson or Ike Taylor, just that I would at least give them a call and invite an interview. IMO, Woodson, and Kevin Green should both get interviews this offseason.
    Is Jim Mora Jr still looking for a job?
    I have no idea who the best position coach is - but it seems like a lot of them are not "name" NFL players from the near-middle past. The guy we're looking for could be like .. I don't know, some borderline second cornerback from the 2001 Saints who you never heard of again, but spent the next decade working his way up from Bowling Green to Nevada to Texas A&M and figuring out how to be an excellent teacher at the position, then got an NFL job for two years but that team just underwent a coaching shakeup or something, and now he's looking for a job.

I have no idea who these guys are, but NFL people do, one of the few times I would truly 100% agree with the "what do you know, you're just a fan and these guys are professionals" argument. But somewhere, that guy is out there, and it probably isn't Woodson or Kevin Greene.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I have no idea who the best position coach is - but it seems like a lot of them are not "name" NFL players from the near-middle past. The guy we're looking for could be like .. I don't know, some borderline second cornerback from the 2001 Saints who you never heard of again, but spent the next decade working his way up from Bowling Green to Nevada to Texas A&M and figuring out how to be an excellent teacher at the position, then got an NFL job for two years but that team just underwent a coaching shakeup or something, and now he's looking for a job.

I have no idea who these guys are, but NFL people do, one of the few times I would truly 100% agree with the "what do you know, you're just a fan and these guys are professionals" argument. But somewhere, that guy is out there, and it probably isn't Woodson or Kevin Greene.
    Probably isn't.