Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Statement from Carnell Lake

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Statement from Carnell Lake

Although Tomlin now has eleven years under his belt as a HC I do not see the sort of coaching tree developing that occurred under Cowher (assistants who went on to be head coaches included LeBeau, Capers, Haslett, Whisenhunt, Mularkey and Gailey).

Arians became a HC (after being fired) and Lebeau landed as a DC in Tennessee (after being fired and having established his rep before Tomlin arrived) but other than that I cannot recall any coach who even moved on to a coordinator position other than Ray Horton, who was on the staff when Tomlin arrived, and Haley, who was let go rather than hired away.

Coach Munchak obviously is a star assistant but I doubt anyone attributes that to Tomlin.

Either weak hiring or weak development (or both) of coaches. Under Cowher the staff was turning over either due to getting promoted elsewhere or Cowher firing them with regularity.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Although Tomlin now has eleven years under his belt as a HC I do not see the sort of coaching tree developing that occurred under Cowher (assistants who went on to be head coaches included LeBeau, Capers, Haslett, Whisenhunt, Mularkey and Gailey).

Arians became a HC (after being fired) and Lebeau landed as a DC in Tennessee (after being fired and having established his rep before Tomlin arrived) but other than that I cannot recall any coach who even moved on to a coordinator position other than Ray Horton, who was on the staff when Tomlin arrived, and Haley, who was let go rather than hired away.

Coach Munchak obviously is a star assistant but I doubt anyone attributes that to Tomlin.

Either weak hiring or weak development (or both) of coaches. Under Cowher the staff was turning over either due to getting promoted elsewhere or Cowher firing them with regularity.
    So Tomlin gets all the blame for the hiring of weak assistants, but no credit for the hiring of one of the best position coaches in the NFL?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    So Tomlin gets all the blame for the hiring of weak assistants, but no credit for the hiring of one of the best position coaches in the NFL?
    How much credit should Tomlin get for hiring an O-line coach already highly regarded as one of the best at his job? It was a good common sense move, not a sneaky, under the radar coaching hire that no one was smart enough to make
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I said I doubt anyone attributes Munchak's development as a coach to Tomlin, not that he was not a good hire - even a broken clock is right twice a day

Munchak was an O-line coach for 14 years and then the head coach for the Titans before he arrived in Pittsburgh - he was not some position coach from a low level college program who Tomlin discovered while scouting players with no other opportunities

Mike Munchak didn’t need a job, and so he wasn’t going to take any job just to have one....

Pittsburgh itself for me is more Pennsylvania, and being from Pennsylvania I have a lot of family and friends who live in this part of the country....

“There were some other opportunities I looked at, but then it came down to, ‘Do I want to coach the offensive line?” And with that meant moving and doing all those things that come with a coach’s life, so it had to be a good opportunity.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-0ef2af8db254

I also am saying I have not seen any coaches hired and favorably develop their reputations under Tomlin that resulted in head coaching opportunities - for the success Tomlin has experienced that is surprising when considering the number of future head coaches who worked under coaches such as Tony Dungy, Andy Reid and even Marvin Lewis

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...rds-love-smith
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...193570754.html

Feel free to share any coaches that you regard to have developed their reputations under Tomlin

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I said I doubt anyone attributes Munchak's development as a coach to Tomlin, not that he was not a good hire - even a broken clock is right twice a day

Munchak was an O-line coach for 14 years and then the head coach for the Titans before he arrived in Pittsburgh - he was not some position coach from a low level college program who Tomlin discovered while scouting players with no other opportunities

Mike Munchak didn’t need a job, and so he wasn’t going to take any job just to have one....

Pittsburgh itself for me is more Pennsylvania, and being from Pennsylvania I have a lot of family and friends who live in this part of the country....

“There were some other opportunities I looked at, but then it came down to, ‘Do I want to coach the offensive line?” And with that meant moving and doing all those things that come with a coach’s life, so it had to be a good opportunity.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-0ef2af8db254

I also am saying I have not seen any coaches hired and favorably develop their reputations under Tomlin that resulted in head coaching opportunities - for the success Tomlin has experienced that is surprising when considering the number of future head coaches who worked under coaches such as Tony Dungy, Andy Reid and even Marvin Lewis

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...rds-love-smith
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...193570754.html

Feel free to share any coaches that you regard to have developed their reputations under Tomlin
    I think that part of the thing is that Tomlin has hired older coaches for the coordinator jobs. Lebeau then Butler on defense and Arians then Haley on offense. Those guys were already established and had built reputations for better or worse prior to Tomlin's Steelers tenure.

Cowher started down the same road on offense with Earhardt, then Sherman (with a detour to Gailey in there), then Gilbride. It was only after all that Cowher kinda went to the developmental well with Mularkey and Whisenhunt (which you could argue was really just an attempt to go back to Chan Gailey). On defense there was the "meh" stretch of Lewis and Haslett - not Cowher developed guys - sandwiched around Capers and Lebeau.

I kinda see the same thing with Tomlin. He comes in as young head coach with a defensive background. He retains his inherited DC and system. Then moves on to the DC's understudy in an attempt to merge his coverage ideas with Butler's take on Lebeau's fronts. Then, he basically outsources the offense. Amazing position coaches and offensive coordinators that have free rein.

So the coaches I can think of that got prominent post-Steelers roles under Cowher that he had a hand in developing are Capers, Wisenhunt, and Mularkey. Tomlin gets....yeah that is hard one.

I think the coordinator hires have been fine. I mean there hasn't been a Walton, Lewis, or Gilbride as of yet. It is the lower tier of coaches on defense that don't seem to be doing much. The thing they all have in common is that they are former Steelers. Now on one hand it makes sense - who better to teach the system? On the other hand...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Yep, Porter should be next
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I agree that Porter should be next to go. Imagine the progress TJ Watt can make with a good OLB coach?
    Agreed. Despite the freakish athletic ability, he hasn't been able to get ANYTHING more out of Dupree?

Not really much of a "tree" there, though. Belichick's is even worse, however.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I don't perceive Lake to have been a good DB coach. Love the guy, but as far as team development goes, it's for the best. Similarly, I wouldn't want Troy as a DB coach - that was a sheer perfect storm talent, instinct, and physical capability, and you can't teach that stuff. The secondary suffered dramatically when his physical gifts gave way to age. A great player doesn't always have great optics as a coaching prospect. I'm not convinced hiring Porter was ever a good idea either. Hines Ward on the other hand, I think he'll make a fantastic coach if he gets into that.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

How about Kris Richards defense coordinator of Seattle.

Could he bring the agressiveness react to our defense mentality.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    How about Kris Richards defense coordinator of Seattle.

Could he bring the agressiveness react to our defense mentality.
    He is apparently gone to Dallas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Agreed. Despite the freakish athletic ability, he hasn't been able to get ANYTHING more out of Dupree?

Yup, I would have to think that he would have taught Dupree some hand use, convert speed to power in the bull rush, or at least a good swat and rip to shorten the arc running around the RT in pass rush.

Fans can say that Dupree is in coverage more than pass rush, but when he does pass rush, he shows no technique whatsoever, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    How much credit should Tomlin get for hiring an O-line coach already highly regarded as one of the best at his job? It was a good common sense move, not a sneaky, under the radar coaching hire that no one was smart enough to make
    He was smart enough to hire him before another team did.