Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Gronkowski and Malcom Butler as Steelers

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Rob Gronkowski and Malcom Butler as Steelers

How do you stop Gronk?

Sign him.

Butler is already better then Burns too.

If we lose Bell Would love some power moves.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Rob Gronkowski and Malcom Butler as Steelers

Well, yeah that would be awesome. I think there is no chance of Gronk, but hear me out on Butler.

1. Butler is pissed. Belichick made him cry on national TV and benched him for the SB.
    2. His replacements played far worse than we would expect Butler to have played.
    3. What team offers Butler the best chance to stick it to the Patriots?

Long story short -- maybe Butler wants to burn the Pats enough that he becomes Haden 2.0?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Gronk is contemplating retirement
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Gronk isn't a FA is he?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Butler didn't have a good year this year. Gronk isn't a FA

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Gronk won't play for anyone but the pats, his body is beat anyway. As for Butler, I'd like to know why Bill didn't play him?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

and while we're at it, I can't believe LeGarrette Blount has 3 SB rings! Talk about falling in shit and coming out smelling like a rose!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    and while we're at it, I can't believe LeGarrette Blount has 3 SB rings! Talk about falling in shit and coming out smelling like a rose!

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

By all means sign Butler - what could go wrong?

Butler’s former Patriots teammate, Brandon Browner, followed up his social media post ripping Bill Belichick for benching the cornerback in their Super Bowl LII loss to the Eagles with another making vague reference to Butler’s recent disciplinary history.

In the edited Instagram video, Browner alludes to Belichick’s reasoning Monday that “a lot of things” went into the decision, citing marijuana possession and breaking curfew as two factors that kept Butler out of the game. ...

https://nypost.com/2018/02/05/malcol...d-to-benching/

"He not the first to get caught with weed"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be01NX5D...ource=ig_embed

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Butler I could see maybe, he hates the Patriots and would love to stick it to them, and that's the only kind of ex-Patriots player I'd want (or trust). Problem is, I don't think he's that good and we have a ton of CBs.

I would never, ever cheer for Gronkowski. Fuck that guy. Brady and Vontaze Burfict are about the only players I'd want on the team less, and even then it's virtually a tie.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    By all means sign Butler - what could go wrong?

Butler’s former Patriots teammate, Brandon Browner, followed up his social media post ripping Bill Belichick for benching the cornerback in their Super Bowl LII loss to the Eagles with another making vague reference to Butler’s recent disciplinary history.

In the edited Instagram video, Browner alludes to Belichick’s reasoning Monday that “a lot of things” went into the decision, citing marijuana possession and breaking curfew as two factors that kept Butler out of the game. ...

https://nypost.com/2018/02/05/malcol...d-to-benching/

"He not the first to get caught with weed"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be01NX5D...ource=ig_embed

Yeah, I'd pass, don't need more of that.

Plus funny how he got caught with weed multiple times by the team yet never got suspended by the league

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

He’s been a big contributor on all three and plays for peanuts.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

No thanks to Butler.

1) weed
    2) he is good, but not very good
    3) I like Haden, Burns, Sutton, Hilton

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Gronk won't play for anyone but the pats, his body is beat anyway. As for Butler, I'd like to know why Bill didn't play him?
    He was sick and missed the plane to the Superbowl.
    Then missed early practice.
    Then missed a curfew and had weed.

He'd fit right in to Tomlin's style!

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    No thanks to Butler.

1) weed
    I agree. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post

Ouch!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Those claims about Butler are apparently bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Ed Bouchette agrees with this message This from Bouchette's chat today

Thoughts on going after the Pats' Malcolm Butler if he is available? Thanks.
    Ed Bouchette: He violated curfew, according to one report, during Super Bowl week and played only on special teams because of it. Should fit right in with the Steelers, although he probably would have played in the game with them despite the violation.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201802060097

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    At least according to Butler, who not surprisingly would deny them since that probably does not increase your market value as a free agent

"During Super Bowl week I never attended any concert, missed curfew, or participated [in] any of the ridiculous activities being reported. They are not only false, but hurtful, to me and my family."

But someone in PatsLand is putting out other claims that are perhaps just as damaging if you are trying to sign with a new team

One person who was at each of the team's practices leading up to the Super Bowl relayed that Butler struggled with what the Patriots were asking him to do against the Eagles' complex scheme. Couple those struggles with a regular season that Butler admitted wasn't his best, and it might have been part of coach Bill Belichick's decision-making process.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ial-media-post

Sounds like a perfect addition to the Steelers, where defenders blow assignments all the time

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

No thanks to Butler.

1) weed
    QFT

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Id take butler

Sounds like he and Le'Smokeon would get along just fine

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Id take butler
    i can never tell when threads like this are thrown out there to be serious or as an interesting pipe dream. lets say you really want this.

We get Malcolm, a pro bowler and 2nd team All-Pro cornerback, a position held in higher premium than any on defense other than an edge rusher. Haden is well past his prime, aging, and was coming off many injury prone campaigns. He costs $9 million a season. How much do you think Malcolm will cost in his youth and durability? We have Haden, Burns, Sutton, Hilton, Gay, Sensabaugh, and Allen (a project). Cut Haden to make room and youve created a $4million dollar dead cap hole just to do it. Burns is a young 1st round pick who looked good in the 2nd half stretch of both seasons he has played, an investment that big becomes a back up that fast despite showing promise? Sutton is similiarly an earlier round pick who looked fantastic in his 1st start, and is a guy that could have projected into the 1st or 2nd round had he entered the draft earlier. Hilton sits in the slot, no question. Thats a lot of premium picks riding the bench.

Rob is yet another great receiving weapon at TE that struggles to stay on the field. Who is also contemplating retirement. And he's the highest paid tight end ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

NO to BOTH as Steeler's. Don't need extra drama with Butler, and Gronk is on final legs. Ed Bouchette is a puppet, don't believe anything he writes. Not worth the time reading his crap or Dulac's crap. He just agrees with all that Tomlin and org. say's.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Impossible! Everything on the internet is true.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I have no problem with Butler, but our CB corps doesn't really have room for him. We have promising young guys, and Haden. There isn't room roster-wise or salary-wise unless we part ways with Haden, which... I would rather have Haden. Respect Butler but it doesn't fit.

Gronk is a garbage human being, no thanks.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Use the money that Butler would cost to instead sign Lamacus Joyner.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Use the money that Butler would cost to instead sign Lamacus Joyner.
    Put me down for Dontari Poe instead. I mean we don't use Big Dan anyway, and since fans love to argue that the NT only plays 40% of snaps (or whatever) that means he'll get plenty of rest to stave off injuries.

It drives me insane that this team remains a base 3-4 and isn't taking Nose Tackle seriously. The whole point of the 3-4 is to have a big bad NT that lets the rest of that defense thrive, he's literally the centerpiece. Sure, we're not in base defense so much, but Poe would be very affordable at this point, let us run base defense more often, and still let Hargrave be our primary in non 3-4 formations. Signing Poe would cure so many ails, and not leave us up shit creek for run defense when an ILB gets injured.

Then we can extend Haden, cut Mitchell, and draft the best Safety we can get our hands on in the draft. Instant defense.

Junior Member Array title="KillerBees is an unknown quantity at this point"> KillerBees's Avatar

Sure both of them are great players and would contribute to any team they are on. But realistically NE isn’t letting Gronk go unless he is retiring and it’s his choice. The butler idea isn’t bad cause for a few years I had been wanting the Steelers to spend some money on a cornerback. It’s one of those positions that are a must in the NFL. However with Haden’s salary taking up a decent amount. I suppose Haden was the biggest FA splash the Steelers would make. And even he wanted to come join the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

IMO, if you're going to sign a free agent it would be to upgrade the safety or the ILB positions.

Gronk is a pipe dream. His cost would be outrageous, and he's got a long injury history with a ton of miles on him. He's a great player, but I just don't see how it can work.

Butler is a talented player, but I think the CB position has some quality and some depth.

A talented safety is what this team really needs in the secondary. If Shazier hadn't gone down, I think that would have been the piece to put the defense over the top. Unfortunately, they now have another huge void in the defense because it's hard to replace a guy like Shazier.