Thread: So Much For Defense Wins Superbowls!

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

So Much For Defense Wins Superbowls!

Wow think both defense gave up about 600 yards each. Crazy thing is Eagles D was pretty good too accept for that.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: So Much For Defense Wins Superbowls!

Actually, it still does. The single Patriots turnover of the night, which was caused by the Eagles' D, was the difference.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Great game.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Actually, it still does. The single Patriots turnover of the night, which was caused by the Eagles' D, was the difference.
    Guess we will never know if our D would have ever showed up in the end! Thanks to the coach with his onside kick crap!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Great game.
    Yep if you like all offense! Hence my post welcome to the new NFL and offense wins championship. Gives me hope as a Steeler fan. Anyways Congrads to The Eagles in beating the cheats!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

It does.

The Steelers/Jaguars playoff game plays out a lot differently if the Defense gets one stop.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Guess we will never know if our D would have ever showed up in the end! Thanks to the coach with his onside kick crap!
    What the Steelers really need is a DC with a system that doesn't revolve around a single player. This season was basically fucked as soon as Shazier went down, much like the 2009 season was when Troy went down.

Funny, not often I get to completely agree and disagree with you in a single post!
    Here, I disagree. One play does not equate to defenses winning championships. IMO, defense gets you to a championship game, but it won't win it. For that, you have to be able to put the ball in the air. The pass game wins championships in today's NFL.
    What the Steelers really need is a DC with a system that doesn't revolve around a single player. This season was basically fucked as soon as Shazier went down, much like the 2009 season was when Troy went down.
    And complete agreement. I said the same thing in a different thread a week or two ago. One of the things I'd love to see is a different scheme that doesn't depend on two or three outstanding players in their position playing at the top of their game. I'd rather see a scheme where everyone just focuses on their assignments and covering them well. We have the offense to outscore anyone if our defense can make a few stops.

They wasn't to bad after Shazier and held the Pats to 24. They was just pure garbage against Jax crappy offense! Look at the Eagles tonight good defense but couldn't stop Brady or pressure him till the last two minutes. Their D basically crap the bed but their offense was enough to make up for it!

Ps. though I'm one who has been calling for Butlers head since the Jag loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    And complete agreement. I said the same thing in a different thread a week or two ago. One of the things I'd love to see is a different scheme that doesn't depend on two or three outstanding players in their position playing at the top of their game. I'd rather see a scheme where everyone just focuses on their assignments and covering them well. We have the offense to outscore anyone if our defense can make a few stops.
    Exactly. With the current offense, the 1976 Steel Curtain isn't needed - just a defense that's AVERAGE will be sufficient.

Exactly. With the current offense, the 1976 Steel Curtain isn't needed - just a defense that's AVERAGE will be sufficient.
    My point of the thread! Agree!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Tomlin didn't have his team prepared for the big game again. That never happens with Belich.............oh wait.............

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Steelers would’ve gotten smoked by the Eagles.

Steelers coaching would’ve held them back...I’m sure Tomlin would’ve made some terribly aggressive calls that failed, while Pederson makes the same calls and is labeled a genius because they are successful. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Had the NFL not screwed us and given James the catch we would have been the #1 seed and played the Titans first (and probably beat them).... ah it's not worth it but I think our offense would have outscored the Eagles!

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Yup....DEFENSE DOES win games ! Who you think caused the turnover to more/less WIN the game for the Eagles ? Anyway, CONGRATS to the Eagles on the win, knocking the Cheaters out, putting Marcia Brady on the ass. Good game planning !! ( Take note TOMLIN ! ---this is how you do it )

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

A system dependent on any single player to be successful is a horrible system.

Butler never should have been hired, but we are stuck with him because Lebeau's scheme was successful in 90's and 00's because of an amazing group of players making a not-so-good scheme stand out.

Lebeau got all the credit and continues to do so for what Bill Cowher actually built. Bill Cowher was the architect of the 90's and 00's defense. He tells the world right here, but nobody believed him and still thinks it was someone else.

https://www.si.com/vault/1997/09/01/...burgh-steelers

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Defense wins championships. LOL. Not punting wins championships. If Pats don;t leave 4 special teams points on the field - maybe a different game?

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

The Eagles defense made the one big play but defense was non-existent in that whole game. Brady had wide open receivers the whole game. That's why he was getting completions on those ducks he was throwing up. The two offenses just marched up and down the field. This is what the NFL has become and I don't like it.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

today's NFL is set up for the offense to succeed. Look at the split of PI calls. I don't know the actual stats, but would guess it's 90-10 called against the D. Meanwhile WR's have mastered the art of the push off, including our own AB, who is very good at the low and subtle shove before the ball gets close to give some separation before exploding to the ball. Couple that with the fact that WR's can now run through the middle of the field with little fear of having their heads taken off and you have the game we have today. 41-33 SB with only 1 punt the entire game.
    Gone are the days of field position and grinding out games.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Apparently KICKERS win championships.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

505 yards passing, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 Punts and the guy lost the Super Bowl...lol.

Only QB in history to lose a game with that kind of stat line. Playoffs or Regular Season.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Maybe Malcolm Butler actually playing wouldn't have helped.....but it couldn't have hurt.

This dude won him a Super Bowl with the play at the goal line against the Seahawks, and it seems like Belichick has been screwing with this guy ever since. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but Butler was crushed and was weeping on the sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Maybe Malcolm Butler actually playing wouldn't have helped.....but it couldn't have hurt.

This dude won him a Super Bowl with the play at the goal line against the Seahawks, and it seems like Belichick has been screwing with this guy ever since. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but Butler was crushed and was weeping on the sideline.
    He started something like 17 of 18 games?