Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Superbowl Prediction thread POST your WINNER and SCORE here.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Re: Superbowl Prediction thread POST your WINNER and SCORE here.

AP Photo-Matt York

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post

AP Photo-Matt York

That's 200 yards and minus 10 points for taunting the Brady

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I endorse this message

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Speaking for the hundreds of millions who were yelling it at their home, or the bar, or wherever else they happened to be.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    If be on the phone to the Rams today looking to trade for Nick Foles. He'd be an instant upgrade to the back up QB and he's only going to cost about $1.7M.
    Wouldn't have been a bad idea had the Steelers traded for Foles as a backup option instead of Jones...Super Bowl LII just verified...all the more reason to pay up for an experienced veteran QB as a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Collinsworth made a point to mention that the Steelers 6 Lombardi’s took 34 seasons... but, the Taperiots did it in only 16 seasons, which is like a “super dynasty”.

Firts of all, the Taperiots only have 5 Lombardi’s (although I’m sure that Collinsworth still thinks that Brady will make a comeback against the Eagles).

Secondly, the Taperiots’ 5 Lombardi’s in 15 seasons is actually not as good as some the 49ers (5 Lombardis in 13 seasons).

But, yeah...

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I don't think Collinsworth could haved sucked the Patr*ots' d*** any harder if he tried. It was disgusting.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I don't think Collinsworth could haved sucked the Patr*ots' d*** any harder if he tried. It was disgusting.

He kept trying to make it sound like Ertz touchdown had a chance to be overturned. Ertz caught the ball between the 5 and 6 yard line. He took at least 3 full strides after cleanly catching the ball and then launched himself into the end zone. Collinsworth knows that what Ertz did was the very definition of a football move after the catch, but decided he really had to make the case for the Pats as he kept talking about the ball moving or hitting the ground when he crossed the goal line. Is it just for added drama? I don't know, but he was drooling all over Brady and the entire Patriot team with his comments all game.

For the life of me, I don't understand why nearly everyone in the media goes out of their way to kiss the ass of that team. It's sickening.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Collinsworth made a point to mention that the Steelers 6 Lombardi’s took 34 seasons... but, the Taperiots did it in only 16 seasons, which is like a “super dynasty”.

Firts of all, the Taperiots only have 5 Lombardi’s (although I’m sure that Collinsworth still thinks that Brady will make a comeback against the Eagles).

Secondly, the Taperiots’ 5 Lombardi’s in 15 seasons is actually not as good as some the 49ers (5 Lombardis in 13 seasons).

But, yeah...
    The narrative was ready to be pushed that the Pats have transcended mere sports dynasties and now merit comparison to the Roman Empire for their impact on history - instead they now are the first team to lose three Super Bowls while favored.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Patriots have actually been to 10 SuperBowls. They are 5-5, and Tom Brady owns 3 of those losses.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

But, yeah...
    Yea, I thought that it was funny how he didn't mention that the Steelers won 4 in a 6 year span. Now that's what you call a Super Dynasty!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

But, yeah...

With no losses, either.

I would also argue that winning the most championships over 34 years means you were actually good more than once with different players and coaches, which is more impressive from a "best franchise" standpoint than just the same guys exploiting the same thing for a single stretch. I'd say the Cowboys and Giants would be above them for that too. Probably even the Packers.

For that matter, if the LA Clippers ran off four or five championships between now and 2034, nobody would be talking about them as the most dominant franchise in the history of the NBA. Think about how idiotic that sounds. But that's literally the exact same thing Collinsworth was talking about.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

No surprise Super Bowl ratings down even with the high profile Pats back defending their championship - presumably would have been even worse if a small market low profile team like the Jags had played

An exciting upset victory in Super Bowl LII could not prevent NBC's telecast of Sunday's game from dropping for the third straight year and hitting a nine-year low.

An audience of 103.4 million TV viewers watched the Philadelphia Eagles win their first Super Bowl ever with their 41-33 victory over the favored New England Patriots, according to Nielsen, a 7% decline from last year for TV's biggest annual event....

The TV audience is the smallest since 2009 when 98.7 million watched Super Bowl XLIII on NBC. The year-to-year decline is not as steep as the nearly 10% drop the NFL experienced during the regular season. But the 7% decline is likely to cause some concern for the league and its television partners....

The loss of viewers — which was only 3% in the big city markets measured by Nielsen — indicates that the NFL's troubles are more significant in the country's heartland.

http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...205-story.html

Hard to see how the NFL explains this away as anything other than a declining ratings trend over multiple years, which started before the anthem became a political kickball.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

But, yeah...
    Steelers have been consistent winners for over 4 and a half decades now, the Patriots have been a relevant franchise for less than 2 decades. Prior to the turn of millenium, their biggest claim to fame was being the 85 Bears sacraficial lamb in the Super Bowl

- - - Updated - - -

No surprise Super Bowl ratings down even with the high profile Pats back defending their championship - presumably would have been even worse if a small market low profile team like the Jags had played

An exciting upset victory in Super Bowl LII could not prevent NBC's telecast of Sunday's game from dropping for the third straight year and hitting a nine-year low.

An audience of 103.4 million TV viewers watched the Philadelphia Eagles win their first Super Bowl ever with their 41-33 victory over the favored New England Patriots, according to Nielsen, a 7% decline from last year for TV's biggest annual event....

The TV audience is the smallest since 2009 when 98.7 million watched Super Bowl XLIII on NBC. The year-to-year decline is not as steep as the nearly 10% drop the NFL experienced during the regular season. But the 7% decline is likely to cause some concern for the league and its television partners....

The loss of viewers — which was only 3% in the big city markets measured by Nielsen — indicates that the NFL's troubles are more significant in the country's heartland.

Hard to see how the NFL explains this away as anything other than a declining ratings trend over multiple years, which started before the anthem became a political kickball.
    You mean trying to force the Patriots into the Super Bowl backfired ratings wise? You don't say

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

With people able to stream entertainment on demand, the NFL is not capturing the viewers that used to watch the SB because there was no other option. Most broadcast and basic cable stations don't really air anything significant against the game and basically cede the evening. Now with Netflix, Hulu, etc non-sports fan viewers can watch something else and are not held hostage by the NFL being the best option. I suspect that is a measurable portion of your 3%-7%.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Pederson is now a better coach than Tomlin...lol.
    Well he HAS beaten the Patriots.
    Yes, thanks in no small part to the ever-evolving definition of what constitutes a catch...

Pederson has to be given credit for winning the Super Bowl with a backup QB after his starter and MVP favorite went down. That was a superb coaching job by him whereas Shazier goes down and things go downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    With people able to stream entertainment on demand, the NFL is not capturing the viewers that used to watch the SB because there was no other option. Most broadcast and basic cable stations don't really air anything significant against the game and basically cede the evening. Now with Netflix, Hulu, etc non-sports fan viewers can watch something else and are not held hostage by the NFL being the best option. I suspect that is a measurable portion of your 3%-7%.
    I agree streaming as an alternative viewing option is part of it but based upon my guess streaming is more likely to be utilized in younger/more affluent big city markets, where the audience drop off was only 3%, than audiences in what is described as “the heartland” where the drop off was greater, there presumably are some other factors that the NFL knows about or, even worse for the NFL, may be clueless about and not even know how to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yes, thanks in no small part to the ever-evolving definition of what constitutes a catch...
    And the fact that the eagles have coordinators that know what they're doing

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    And the fact that the eagles have coordinators that know what they're doing
    Yep - never seen Brady shut down like Jim Schwartz did it to him last night

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I agree streaming as an alternative viewing option is part of it but based upon my guess streaming is more likely to be utilized in younger/more affluent big city markets, where the audience drop off was only 3%, than audiences in what is described as “the heartland” where the drop off was greater, there presumably are some other factors that the NFL knows about or, even worse for the NFL, may be clueless about and not even know how to respond.
    Good point. I guess I could look into how they defined the heartland, but I'm guessing everything that is not the coasts and a handful of big cities sprinkled throughout the vast middle of the country. So that encompasses almost everyone I know and they all have a consistent usage of streaming media content. I don't think Netflix is just for youngsters on the coasts and the heartland isn't just full of old folks that have no idea what the internet is.

Amazing thing is a "down" SB was still the 10th highest watched broadcast ever!

Yep - never seen Brady shut down like Jim Schwartz did it to him last night
    At least their defense protected the late 4th quarter lead, unlike Pittsburgh's defense, and it's not like Keith Butler knows how to stop the Cheats

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

At least their defense protected the late 4th quarter lead, unlike Pittsburgh's defense, and it's not like Keith Butler knows how to stop the Cheats
    Still doesn't change the fact that if Ertz's catch (or, for that matter, Clement's) would have been ruled like James' was the Eagles probably lose.

Speaking of which, think shitty and inconsistent-as-hell officiating might have something to do with the down ratings? For instance, Collinsworth mentioned (when he wasn't swallowing Brady) that the Patriots' offense had their FIRST penalty of the postseason on a false start last night. Yeah, OK...

Agreed that at least they won is the ultimate rebuttal.

But protecting the lead by first giving up the 10 point halftime lead because the Pats scored 3 TDs
    on their first 3 second half possessions as part of not punting all night and then having the game end on a midfield Hail Mary on a drive that started at the Pats 7 with a minute left and no timeouts is not anything that would get a D-coordinator a promotion (unless you are Matt Patricia )

Eagles got one crucial stop and that was enough - Steelers forced several punts and a turnover against Brady and it wasn’t enough. If Sean Davis holds on to the interception at the start of the Pats game winning drive at Heinz Butler is a genius

It is a game of skill but sometimes random luck and however Al Riveron is feeling at the time ends up being the difference between closely matched teams

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Still doesn't change the fact that if Ertz's catch (or, for that matter, Clement's) would have been ruled like James' was the Eagles probably lose.

Speaking of which, think shitty and inconsistent-as-hell officiating might have something to do with the down ratings? For instance, Collinsworth mentioned (when he wasn't swallowing Brady) that the Patriots' offense had their FIRST penalty of the postseason on a false start last night. Yeah, OK...
    Even with the James overturned TD, the Steelers still had 2 chances to win the game and still would have won were it not for the trainwreck that was the ensuing 2 plays (which is the fault of the coaching staff, particular Todd Haley, not the refs).

There is this Bitch Pigeon fan like perception that the Steelers in week 15 did enough to win, but were unfortunate victims of the NFL and Gotohell. The cold hard truth is that had they played well in crunch time when it mattered most, and had the coaching staff not suffered a collective brainfart when it mattered most, the Steelers never need a Jesse James TD, or at the very least they would have overcome the Jesse James overturn with a TD in the next two plays, two plays in which the Steelers instead chose to imitate a comedy act

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed that at least they won is the ultimate rebuttal.

But protecting the lead by first giving up the 10 point halftime lead because the Pats scored 3 TDs
    on their first 3 second half possessions as part of not punting all night and then having the game end on a midfield Hail Mary on a drive that started at the Pats 7 with a minute left and no timeouts is not anything that would get a D-coordinator a promotion (unless you are Matt Patricia )

Eagles got one crucial stop and that was enough - Steelers forced several punts and a turnover against Brady and it wasn’t enough. If Sean Davis holds on to the interception at the start of the Pats game winning drive at Heinz Butler is a genius

It is a game of skill but sometimes random luck and however Al Riveron is feeling at the time ends up being the difference between closely matched teams
    Both teams held 5 point leads with less than 3 minutes to go. While the Steelers promptly let the Patriots drive down the field with ease, the Eagles force and recover a fumble and put the offense in a position where they run off 1 minute and add 3 points to their lead. And surrendering 27 points and a 4th quarter lead is nothing to be proud of.
    And if we want to talk about postseason, in Butler's only postseason game against Brady as DC, he did surrender more points than the Eagles did last night and that was with the Pats coasting the final quarter

https://nypost.com/2018/02/05/cris-c...-philadelphia/

Collinsworth deserves every bit of this.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    https://nypost.com/2018/02/05/cris-c...-philadelphia/

Collinsworth deserves every bit of this.
    Yea, he does. I wish that someone would've called out Gruden when he threw such a fit about JuJu's hit on Burfict.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert