Thread: Le’Veon Bell Needs A Steelers History Lesson When It Comes To Fully Guaranteed Money

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Le’Veon Bell Needs A Steelers History Lesson When It Comes To Fully Guaranteed Money

BY DAVE BRYAN FEBRUARY 3, 2018 AT 01:23 PM
    Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell probably needs a history lesson when it comes to him knowing what to expect contract-wise from the organization this offseason and his agent Adisa Bakari should be the one to give it to him.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/02...ranteed-money/

The Steelers need to draft or pick up a good RB.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: Le’Veon Bell Needs A Steelers History Lesson When It Comes To Fully Guaranteed Money

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

Bingo! Bell and his 4.0 YPC are not worth $15M a year. He had the chance to put up a season for the ages to prove his worth and DID NOT. Instead, he put up mostly pedestrian numbers aside from 4-5 games.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Le’Veon Bell Needs A Steelers History Lesson When It Comes To Fully Guaranteed Money

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Bingo! Bell and his 4.0 YPC are not worth $15M a year. He had the chance to put up a season for the ages to prove his worth and DID NOT. Instead, he put up mostly pedestrian numbers aside from 4-5 games.
    Worth $15 million... eh, probably not.

Pedestrian numbers... I disagree.

Bell had the 3rd most rushing yards (in one less game than Hunt & Gurley).

Bell had the 10th most receptions... which was only 3 less than Julio Jones, and ahead of AJ Green and Rob Gronkowski.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I was mainly referring to his averages on the pedestrian comment. 4.0 is pedestrian- middle of the pack. If a guy touches the ball over 400 times he’s gonna get volume yards.

- - - Updated - - -

If AB averaged 11 YPC no one would be calling him the greatest WR.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I was mainly referring to his averages on the pedestrian comment. 4.0 is pedestrian- middle of the pack. If a guy touches the ball over 400 times he’s gonna get volume yards.

- - - Updated - - -

If AB averaged 11 YPC no one would be calling him the greatest WR.
    True... but, he’s also getting those tough yards on 3rd-&-1... whether it be via rushing, or, as Ben’s safety valve.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Find a comparable player that has a career 4.3 rushing average, and a 8.5 career receiving average, with a minimum of 5 years in the league. Find that and I'll consider the 'just let him walk' plan. Must have an average 15 carries per game(Bell averages 20) and 10 receptions per game(Bell averages 12) as well.

No. He's not going to get a multi-year deal that pays him $15M per season. But to say he's not worthy based on his ability is wrong. He won't get that because that's not what the market says. He may get $10M - $12M though.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    True... but, he’s also getting those tough yards on 3rd-&-1... whether it be via rushing, or, as Ben’s safety valve.
    Bell is a good player and has come up huge several times. He’s just not worth $15M for 3+ years after 5 years of wear and tear. I saw a decline this year. I’d franchise him if it weren’t for the distraction he’d cause. But then again I might call his bluff and force him to retire.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

I'd franchise him again at the steep price. Then the Steelers hold the power in the negotiation. Play under the one year deal and risk an injury that will drive down your future value, retire, or negotiate a fair and equitable 4-5year deal. Good luck negotiating a blockbuster deal going into year 7. It's been proven time and time again that RB's don't last in this league. I'd rather have a stable of solid backs than one stud either way. The 2 teams in yesterday's Super Bowl rolled with 3 and 4 RB's that all played significantly. Having Bell and no one else, sure seems like you are not protecting yourself from a key injury to derail your season at the most injury prone position on the field.
    That being said, if he wants to play a 5 year $60M deal with about half guaranteed, I'm all for that. He's a great talent.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Find a comparable player that has a career 4.3 rushing average, and a 8.5 career receiving average, with a minimum of 5 years in the league. Find that and I'll consider the 'just let him walk' plan. Must have an average 15 carries per game(Bell averages 20) and 10 receptions per game(Bell averages 12) as well.

No. He's not going to get a multi-year deal that pays him $15M per season. But to say he's not worthy based on his ability is wrong. He won't get that because that's not what the market says. He may get $10M - $12M though.
    Yup - spot on. His career #'s actual back up Bell's valuation of $15 million per year. But the best he can hope for is like 12-14. If Bell and the Steelers can agree on the structure, I'm hoping where the team is really only on the hook for the first two years, I think they can get something done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yup - spot on. His career #'s actual back up Bell's valuation of $15 million per year. But the best he can hope for is like 12-14. If Bell and the Steelers can agree on the structure, I'm hoping where the team is really only on the hook for the first two years, I think they can get something done.
    Based on what was leaked about last year's offer, how much better do you think the Steelers' offer will be this year, if at all?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Based on what was leaked about last year's offer, how much better do you think the Steelers' offer will be this year, if at all?
    FWIW this was included in a list of ESPN predictions for next season

Le'Veon Bell
    signs a contract extension with the Steelers
    Bell's new deal is heavily front-loaded but guarantees him more than $25 million and averages more than $12 million per year -- not the mega back/receiver deal of which Bell has been dreaming, but still pushing the top of the running back market well above where it is right now. A 2017 training camp holdout, Bell shows up on time for everything in 2018 and helps drive Pittsburgh's offense where it needs to go.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...liii-pick-more

Another prediction is Steelers lose to Saints in next season's Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    FWIW this was included in a list of ESPN predictions for next season

Le'Veon Bell
    signs a contract extension with the Steelers
    Bell's new deal is heavily front-loaded but guarantees him more than $25 million and averages more than $12 million per year -- not the mega back/receiver deal of which Bell has been dreaming, but still pushing the top of the running back market well above where it is right now. A 2017 training camp holdout, Bell shows up on time for everything in 2018 and helps drive Pittsburgh's offense where it needs to go.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...liii-pick-more

Another prediction is Steelers lose to Saints in next season's Super Bowl
    Well.......... I'd like only $25M guaranteed! I just can't see Bell's ego going for that.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Well.......... I'd like only $25M guaranteed! I just can't see Bell's ego going for that.
    Agreed - signing bonuses are fully guaranteed and I am assuming he gets in the $12 -14 million range for just the bonus.

In his online chat today P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo considers jumping on the let him walk bandwagon, with the caveat it will be tougher to replace Bell's receiving than rushing

Look at the RBs in the Super Bowl last night -- Blount, Clement, Ajayi, White, Lewis, Burkhead. None of them were high draft picks or highly paid players.... The NFL is a passing league. Does it help if you have a strong running game? Of course. But you had better have a QB that can execute at a high level. So yes, I'd be tempted to let Bell hit free agency and use the money elsewhere....

Bell's not signing anywhere for $8-10 million a year. Believe me, there is a team out there who will pay him $15 million a year, or close to it. Lots of teams have cap space to do it. ...

There is no doubt in my mind his running skills are replaceable. Not so sure his skills as a receiver can be replaced. And they know that.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201802050088

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

There's a lot of positions that could be said for. RB, Backup QB, SS, FS, CB, LB, OLB, LB, OLB, DEPTH All Around...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler