Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ryan Shazier has been discharged from UPMC

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Ryan Shazier has been discharged from UPMC

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I honestly hope that he walks again and decides to move from the playing field to the coaching staff. Poorly phrased, but my hope is full recovery and not risking his health again on the field.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I honestly hope that he walks again and decides to move from the playing field to the coaching staff. Poorly phrased, but my hope is full recovery and not risking his health again on the field.
    Not to be a downer, but I think that decision is pretty much made for him. Let's not fool ourselves, he is a LONG way from even functioning normally, much less playing sports of any kind, to say nothing of professional football.

Yes, it's good to see any positive progress and we should be happy for it, but the condition he is in right now is a stark reminder that it's a world of difference from an ACL or a torn rotator cuff or any of the stuff you're used to seeing people "come back" from. If someone can get from there to playing middle linebacker in the NFL, I will eat horse shit like that guy in Philly. Not really, but you get the idea.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Not to be a downer, but I think that decision is pretty much made for him. Let's not fool ourselves, he is a LONG way from even functioning normally, much less playing sports of any kind, to say nothing of professional football.

Yes, it's good to see any positive progress and we should be happy for it, but the condition he is in right now is a stark reminder that it's a world of difference from an ACL or a torn rotator cuff or any of the stuff you're used to seeing people "come back" from. If someone can get from there to playing middle linebacker in the NFL, I will eat horse shit like that guy in Philly. Not really, but you get the idea.
    Yeah, I agree. Well not with the eating horse crap part, but I do see your point!

Assuming in say 4 months he regains total nerve function and movement. That's July before he can run, lift, and train at an NFL level again - at best. Likely September. Does anyone really think that even an elite athlete can not train for an entire off-season and then just let 'er rip in the NFL?

I mean the atrophied lower body muscle is going to be extensive. For a guy who relies on speed and lower body strength - how does that go well in 2018? Maybe 2019. Maybe.

I've hesitated on saying anything about this, because it is so far from being important for Shazier and his family...BUT...from a purely 2018 Steelers roster construction point of view, I fail to see how he has any hope of not being on either IR or the PUP all season.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yeah, I agree. Well not with the eating horse crap part, but I do see your point!

Assuming in say 4 months he regains total nerve function and movement. That's July before he can run, lift, and train at an NFL level again - at best. Likely September. Does anyone really think that even an elite athlete can not train for an entire off-season and then just let 'er rip in the NFL?

I mean the atrophied lower body muscle is going to be extensive. For a guy who relies on speed and lower body strength - how does that go well in 2018? Maybe 2019. Maybe.

I've hesitated on saying anything about this, because it is so far from being important for Shazier and his family...BUT...from a purely 2018 Steelers roster construction point of view, I fail to see how he has any hope of not being on either IR or the PUP all season.
    There is no way he is on the field at all in 2018. The only question is whether they carry him on IR/PUP leaving the door open to come back in a year or two, or he just retires. The former choice would also offer the option of signing him to a two- or three-year deal and spreading some of the cap hit from that $9M rookie option out. Then if he actually does return, tear it up and sign him to a real contract. (How's THAT for misprioritizing football first? Yet, it's a choice the team at least will have to make, probably before the start of the league year.)

In any event, do you EVER regain 4.4 speed and all-world lateral quickness after an injury like that? My gut feeling is no, more like hell no. Seeing the guy back on the field is a pipe dream, even ignoring the huge risk-reward decision he'd then have to make.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

There is no way he is on the field at all in 2018. The only question is whether they carry him on IR/PUP leaving the door open to come back in a year or two, or he just retires. The former choice would also offer the option of signing him to a two- or three-year deal and spreading some of the cap hit from that $9M rookie option out. Then if he actually does return, tear it up and sign him to a real contract. (How's THAT for misprioritizing football first? Yet, it's a choice the team at least will have to make, probably before the start of the league year.)

In any event, do you EVER regain 4.4 speed and all-world lateral quickness after an injury like that? My gut feeling is no, more like hell no. Seeing the guy back on the field is a pipe dream, even ignoring the huge risk-reward decision he'd then have to make.
    I don't think there is much to say about all of that from a realistic POV other than "Agree". It may seem crass and morbid to talk about, but at some point folks within the Steelers organization need to be having cold and calculated discussions as well.

That being said, this is still the same organization that gave Spence time to come back. I think that as long as Shazier wants to try and the docs say it is possible - the Steelers find a path to allow him to try.

I don't think there is much to say about all of that from a realistic POV other than "Agree". It may seem crass and morbid to talk about, but at some point folks within the Steelers organization need to be having cold and calculated discussions as well.

That being said, this is still the same organization that gave Spence time to come back. I think that as long as Shazier wants to try and the docs say it is possible - the Steelers find a path to allow him to try.
    Oh yeah, no doubt if he wants to try to come back, they'll probably find a way to give him the chance. I just don't think he'll be able to.

As much of a miracle it was that Spence played again, this injury is far, far worse.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Oh yeah, no doubt if he wants to try to come back, they'll probably find a way to give him the chance. I just don't think he'll be able to.

As much of a miracle it was that Spence played again, this injury is far, far worse.
    I think that even if the nerves and motor function comes all the way back and it is my understanding that with this type of injury that is no guarantee; there just is no way that the raw speed, agility, and quickness that Shazier possessed comes all the way back. Guys talk all the time about how at the professional level any time off can lead to your physical edge being sanded down - I just don't see how a year or more removed from regimented training and football stuff will ever allow Shazier to play with all the physical gifts he once displayed.

I wish him all of the best and if he wants to try, I will certainly root for him until the day he decides to hang up his cleats. But I honestly think that we will forever be left wonder what might have been. However, I do believe that so far Shazier has displayed all the qualities and attributes that indicate he is a young man who will go one to have a wildly successful and fulfilling second and third acts in his life.

I think that even if the nerves and motor function comes all the way back and it is my understanding that with this type of injury that is no guarantee; there just is no way that the raw speed, agility, and quickness that Shazier possessed comes all the way back. Guys talk all the time about how at the professional level any time off can lead to your physical edge being sanded down - I just don't see how a year or more removed from regimented training and football stuff will ever allow Shazier to play with all the physical gifts he once displayed.

I wish him all of the best and if he wants to try, I will certainly root for him until the day he decides to hang up his cleats. But I honestly think that we will forever be left wonder what might have been. However, I do believe that so far Shazier has displayed all the qualities and attributes that indicate he is a young man who will go one to have a wildly successful and fulfilling second and third acts in his life.
    Yup, right on, and the only thing I can add to that is that Rob Gronkowski can suck my balls.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think that until the day comes when Shazier himself decides he's retired, I'm on the 'return to the field' bandwagon. I know it's a wish and a prayer to ever see him out there again. But as long as Shazier is holding out hope and trying to get back, so am I. I cannot make myself diminish that hope even a little bit. I know he couldn't care less what we think on here, but if all I can do is offer encouragement with positive thoughts, then that's what I will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think that until the day comes when Shazier himself decides he's retired, I'm on the 'return to the field' bandwagon. I know it's a wish and a prayer to ever see him out there again. But as long as Shazier is holding out hope and trying to get back, so am I. I cannot make myself diminish that hope even a little bit. I know he couldn't care less what we think on here, but if all I can do is offer encouragement with positive thoughts, then that's what I will do.
    Well said. I still have a dream vision that in 2019 a fully healthy and back to DPOY form Shazier, a fully formed Watt, a healthy and full potential realized Dupree, and Trumaine Edwards roam the linebacker level for the Steelers like a pack of wolves that all play inside and outside as well as sideline to sideline.