Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Shazier has been discharged from UPMC

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Ryan Shazier has been discharged from UPMC

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ving-114511088

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Ryan Shazier has been discharged from UPMC

Well he can stand, sort of. Still great news for him. I don't think we'll ever see him on the field again, but if he can even get back to walking around normally, that's a win.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Great news! Seeing him standing again makes me happy

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well he can stand, sort of. Still great news for him. I don't think we'll ever see him on the field again, but if he can even get back to walking around normally, that's a win.
    It is. And I don't want to see him on a field ever again. His head's down attacking of the ball carrier could result in permanent disablement or worse if there was a next time. We'd be holding our breath every time he went in head first on a hit. Maybe he could change his style? But if he did would he be the same player? If you play against your natural inclination do you have the same game impact? I doubt it. His tackling style should have been addressed years ago. Maybe it was, and he was incapable of adjusting his game? And of course his game was at such a high level you cringed and dealt with the risk to his health and the numerous times he over ran plays because of his head down attacks.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Amazing. By the way Shazier and his dad have talked about it, it looks like he's fully intent on returning but I sure hope not. Be healthy Ryan.

Anyone know what that brace on his calf is?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Amazing. By the way Shazier and his dad have talked about it, it looks like he's fully intent on returning but I sure hope not. Be healthy Ryan.

Anyone know what that brace on his calf is?

Just a guess. There are pressure points at that level that can relieve back pain by putting pressure on the nerves at that point of the calf.

Could just be a strained calf from the rehab. No way to know for sure.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

That's great news. I really hope doesn't play again. It just isn't worth the gamble.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I can’t wait to see him back on the field stronger than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

I can’t wait to see him back on the field stronger than ever.
    That is an awesome photo of two of them.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

YAY!!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Excited for Ryan and his family. Honestly hope he never plays another down. Very few things are worth risking your life for. NFL is not one of them. But I don't have to make that call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

It's so wonderful seeing Ryan standing with or without help. Yes, it is a great photo of the two of them and makes me smile.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Winning!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Good to see him up and out of hospital. I hope he gets back full function of his legs, but honestly don't think he ever plays football again.

If he does play football, I hope he hears the words of former Buckeye Chris Spielman about tackling. "Eyes up, heads up, wrap up", because that positioning of his head and eyes down that he tackled with isn't a good position.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Thank God - it's so great to see Ryan standing and smiling ! Now comes the hard work for him. I hope he keeps his motivation at the 'high' level he has. Walking will be the next big 'win' for him. The big and final hurdle for him will be months/year down the road, the decision of returning to football. A day to sit alone and do some serious meditation. Maybe in the coaching form, GOD knows we need good Defensive coaches !
    Last edited by Moose; 02-02-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I want to see Ryan do whatever makes him happy. If that's football, I hope he plays miraculously again with the same passion and athleticism, but smarter.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Great to hear. I agree with Zu, however, I'll be holding my breath every time he is within 10 feet of someone if he comes back. Nevertheless, if his doctors give him a full release and he can play without danger of reinjury, then good on him. Just glad to see him up.
    Agreed

Also glad the players’ union got something right for once and that the fifth year option is 100% guaranteed for injury rather than for some lesser amount - $8 million does not restore physical health but is provides financial security

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Just great news. Doctors are amazing.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Reports today was he’s up and walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Agreed

Also glad the players’ union got something right for once and that the fifth year option is 100% guaranteed for injury rather than for some lesser amount - $8 million does not restore physical health but is provides financial security
    I think there needs to be a waiver on the cap as well. If something like this happens and the player can't playing the following year because of serious injury (not retirement, but injury), the salary does not count against the cap.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Schefter, who is not a doctor but plays one on twitter, might have overstated the actual extent of the progress, which nevertheless is encouraging.

Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier has clarified his status as he progresses in his rehab from spinal stabilization surgery.Shazier used Twitter to call a report from NBC Sports' Michele Tafoya "100 percent correct" that his lower-body movement is a work in process.

"Although he does have movement in his legs, he is not walking on his own," said Tafoya, citing a source close to Shazier who said the linebacker wanted to clarify his status. "Shazier needs assistance from a walker or other people or to support him in his rehabilitation walking, which remains a struggle."

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Ryan is at the Pens game.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Ryan is at the Pens game.

Just amazing.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I want to see Ryan do whatever makes him happy.

If that's football,

I hope he plays miraculously again with the same passion and athleticism, but smarter.
    Yes and yes.

Reading this brought tears to my eyes.

His attitude and thankfulness is amazing.

His glass is overflowing.

Truly inspirational.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Absolutely awesome! Wow!

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

That is pretty awesome. Probably the best thing I have seen in weeks. Much love.