Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Early 2018 Mock Draft

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Early 2018 Mock Draft

1. Justin Reid FS Stanford
    2. Dorance Armstrong OLB Kansas
    3. Mason Rudolph QB OK State
    5. Antonio Callaway WR Florida
    5. Ralph Webb RB Vandy
    7. Will Gleeson P Ole Miss
    7. Mavin Saunders TE FSU

(assuming the conditional for Cockrell will be a 7th)

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Early 2018 Mock Draft

I can't nail down who to pick by name. I just want the Steelers to BPA a OLB, ILB, S, CB, or TE.
    Hater = Realist

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

What pick do we have?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    1. Justin Reid FS Stanford

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    What pick do we have?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

My first mock from walkthemock (only has the Steelers with 1 7th round pick)

1:28 Malik Jefferson LB Texas
    2:28 Quin Blanding FS Virginia
    3:28 Luke Falk QB Washington St.
    5:9 Jaylen Samuels TE NC St.
    5:28 Jalen Jelks EDGE Oregon
    7:28 Mike McCray LB Michigan

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    1:28 Malik Jefferson LB Texas
    I go back & forth with my R1 pick, between Malik Jefferson and Justin Reid.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

The slots you have are right on the money. Where I got that other 7th: I believe we're due a conditional pick for the Cockrell trade and I'm presuming that it'll be a seventh rounder.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Just stoooopid early, but here it goes....

Rd1. Terrell Edmunds Safety VT
    Rd2. Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise State
    Rd3. Chad Thomas OLB Miami
    Rd5a. Kenny Young ILB UCLA
    Rd5b. LJ Scott RB MichState
    Rd7. Shaquem Griffin LB UCF

And there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Just stoooopid early, but here it goes....

Rd1. Terrell Edmunds Safety VT
    Rd2. Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise State
    Rd3. Chad Thomas OLB Miami
    Rd5a. Kenny Young ILB UCLA
    Rd5b. LJ Scott RB MichState
    Rd7. Shaquem Griffin LB UCF

And there it is.
    I could certainly be on board with that.

But... I’d switch R1 & R2.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I could certainly be on board with that.

But... I’d switch R1 & R2.
    4 of 6 picks at LB. That's just sad.

New format, new info, changing needs. 2nd attempt of 2018.

Rd1. Derwin James, Safety FSU
    Rd2. Ronald Jones II, RB USC
    Rd3. Josey Jewell, ILB Iowa
    Rd5a. Justin Lawler, OLB SMU
    Rd5b. Kenny Young, ILB UCLA
    Rd7a. Hercules Mata'afa, OLB WSU
    Rd7b. Allen Lazard, WR ISU

New format, new info, changing needs. 2nd attempt of 2018.

Rd1. Derwin James, Safety FSU
    Rd2. Ronald Jones II, RB USC
    Rd3. Josey Jewell, ILB Iowa
    1) Do you foresee Derwin James sliding? I could maybe see that, because he’s gone from a top 5 pick, to a top 10 pick, to a mid-teens pick... With three months to go, I guess that anything is possible.

2) Don’t be surprised if Jones isn’t the second RB drafted (late-teens). It’s been Barkley, followed by Guice for so long, that everyone just assumes that it will stay that way. But, I could see Jones leap-frogging Guice (that’s not a slight about Guice but rather a confirmation about Jones.)

3) Good pick.

1) Do you foresee Derwin James sliding? I could maybe see that, because he’s gone from a top 5 pick, to a top 10 pick, to a mid-teens pick... With three months to go, I guess that anything is possible.

2) Don’t be surprised if Jones isn’t the second RB drafted (late-teens). It’s been Barkley, followed by Guice for so long, that everyone just assumes that it will stay that way. But, I could see Jones leap-frogging Guice (that’s not a slight about Guice but rather a confirmation about Jones.)

3) Good pick.
    Derwin James is a mystery guy, a lot like Peppers was last year. Not really a true fit for any defense. My thinking is that we need help at so many places in the middle of that defense, and he's such a great athlete, he fits us like a glove this draft. So, a lot of hope in that pick.

LOL. I honestly have no idea yet. With Love opting to return to school, Jones definitely gets a boost in the rankings. Hopefully we will keep Bell and it won't matter as much.

Jewell could very well be gone here too. But if Bell stays, we may get our ILB in the 2nd round anyway.(Darius Leonard?) If that happens, I also like Royce Freeman at RB, and Ade Aruna at OLB. Freeman looks like another Bettis to me, and Aruna may be the sleepiest sleeper in this draft. I saw him play a couple times and Aruna has elite take-off on the edge.

1:28 Rashaan Evans LB Alabama
    2:28 Justin Reid FS Stanford
    3:28 Uchenna Nwosu LB USC
    5:9 Josh Adams RB Notre Dame
    5:28 Jaylon Ferguson EDGE Louisiana Tech
    7:28 John Wolford QB Wake Forest

Evans and Reid rounds 1 and 2 would be a dream 1st 2 rounds and Josh Adams in round 5 could be a steal

Derwin James is a mystery guy, a lot like Peppers was last year. Not really a true fit for any defense. My thinking is that we need help at so many places in the middle of that defense, and he's such a great athlete, he fits us like a glove this draft. So, a lot of hope in that pick.

LOL. I honestly have no idea yet. With Love opting to return to school, Jones definitely gets a boost in the rankings. Hopefully we will keep Bell and it won't matter as much.

Jewell could very well be gone here too. But if Bell stays, we may get our ILB in the 2nd round anyway.(Darius Leonard?) If that happens, I also like Royce Freeman at RB, and Ade Aruna at OLB. Freeman looks like another Bettis to me, and Aruna may be the sleepiest sleeper in this draft. I saw him play a couple times and Aruna has elite take-off on the edge.
    Re-sign Bell.
    Draft Derwin James.

Done.

Now... which ILB shall we choose at 60?

Re-sign Bell.
    Draft Derwin James.

Done.

There are a few I like for the 2nd round. Since I don't think Shazier will be back on the field, I look for someone of his style more. I like Jerome Baker, another Ohio State guy, and Christian Sam of Arizona State, and Josey Jewell of Iowa. I think any of those guys could play next to VW.

1:28 Rashaan Evans LB Alabama
    2:28 Justin Reid FS Stanford
    3:28 Uchenna Nwosu LB USC
    5:9 Josh Adams RB Notre Dame
    5:28 Jaylon Ferguson EDGE Louisiana Tech
    7:28 John Wolford QB Wake Forest

Evans and Reid rounds 1 and 2 would be a dream 1st 2 rounds and Josh Adams in round 5 could be a steal
    I’d love 1,2,3... I especially like the Nwosu pick. A very underrated player.

That said, I think Reid is the third best safety in this draft, and thus, he’ll be gone by 60. (Heck, he could be gone by 28.)

I’d love 1,2,3... I especially like the Nwosu pick. A very underrated player.

That said, I think Reid is the third best safety in this draft, and thus, he’ll be gone by 60. (Heck, he could be gone by 28.)
    Probably, this was a walkthemock simulation and Reid was there at 60 so I had to take him

There are a few I like for the 2nd round. Since I don't think Shazier will be back on the field, I look for someone of his style more. I like Jerome Baker, another Ohio State guy, and Christian Sam of Arizona State, and Josey Jewell of Iowa. I think any of those guys could play next to VW.
    What about Derwin James at ILB???... (a la Deone Bucannon)

What about Derwin James at ILB???... (a la Deone Bucannon)
    OK, I'm fine with that. But like you posted in another thread, either Mitchell or Haden gets re-signed, the other is gone. As bad as the safety group would become minus Mitchell, Haden improves the CB group more. With that in mind, and James weighing in at 215lbs, I'd play him at FS. At least until he can bulk up 10lbs minimum. Then I would move James to SS/ILB (a la Bucannon) and Davis(205lbs maybe?) to FS.

Re-sign Bell.
    Draft Derwin James.

Done.

Another question for these early round picks is which of this year's prospects match up with some of last year's prospects? Meaning, I think Derwin James is comparable to last draft's Jabrill Peppers, in that he has no true position on the defense, yet plays them all. This draft doesn't have that "WOW" factor when you immediately look at it. But there are some quality guys there. Who is the TJ Watt in this draft? Who is the Hassan Riddick? Or even who is this draft's Lawrence Timmons? This is really a cookie cutter class so far.

I'm more of the mind now to take the best Safety available in R1. If that happens to be Reid, I'm fine. If it happens to be a SS, then move Davis over. Either way, cut Mitchell, extend Haden.

Another question for these early round picks is which of this year's prospects match up with some of last year's prospects? Meaning, I think Derwin James is comparable to last draft's Jabrill Peppers, in that he has no true position on the defense, yet plays them all. This draft doesn't have that "WOW" factor when you immediately look at it. But there are some quality guys there. Who is the TJ Watt in this draft? Who is the Hassan Riddick? Or even who is this draft's Lawrence Timmons? This is really a cookie cutter class so far.
    I think that there are five “top tier” ILBs in this draft, followed by a bunch of very good ILBs.

Whereas, there is one (maybe two) “top tier” safeties, and a huge group with R2 grades.

SUMMATION:
    I’d go ILB first, and then S.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Inside Linebacker. With that said it's very worrisome to look at the Linebacker situation on this team especially after the numerous picks in the last 4-5 drafts, what does this team really have to show for it? Shazier (future uncertain) and Watt (looks promising).

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I'm curious: if they let Bell walk, how does that affect everyone's mock?

If Bell is gone, I'd go RB in the 2nd. If he's tagged, I'd go RB in the 4th and if he's signed, I'd go RB in the 7th. I like Guice or Chubb in R2.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

If Bell is gone, I'd go RB in the 2nd. If he's tagged, I'd go RB in the 4th and if he's signed, I'd go RB in the 7th. I like Guice or Chubb in R2.
    Any way it goes, at 28 I'm looking for that game changer athlete. If that happens to be Ronald Jones, I would take him there. I'm hoping it's Derwin James or Tremaine Edmunds. Any love for Royce Freeman in the 2nd or 3rd rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post

3rd round at the earliest, especially considering the draft class is deep. RBs are a dime a dozen, S, ILB, and OLB are much more pressing and provide much more value

Round 1
    Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama, Height: 6'3. Weight: 231.
    Evans keep showing up on mock drafts as the Steelers first pick and for good reason. Shazier will probably never play another down of football and Williams is a wave player that could be upgraded.

Round 2
    Sony Michel, RB, Georgia, Height: 5'11. Weight: 212.
    Solid runner, good receiver, and can block. Played behind Nick Chubb at Georgia and still had a 7.9 yard average with 1,227 yards and 16 touchdowns. Bell is about to talk his way out of Pittsburgh and let's be honest...With the NFL being a passing league, I can think of better place to lay 50 million dollars...like on the defensive side of the ball.

Round 3
    Kyzir White, S, West Virginia, Height: 6'2. Weight: 218
    In 2017 White had three interceptions, four passes broken up, 94 tackles, two forced fumbles, and one sack. More than any other position in football...early draft picks at the safety position do not always equate to value. White has the potential to be a day one starter and is DEFINATELY an upgrade over Mitchell.

Round 5
    Ja'Von Rolland-Jones, OLB/DE, Arkansas State, Height: 6'2. Weight: 244.
    Try-hard competitor with 26.5 sacks over the last two years. Add 40.5 tackles for loss and 4 forced fumbles over that time period. Dupree isn't going anywhere, (at least for this next year) so a fifth round flyer on Rolland-Jones is good value.

Round 5
    Michael Joseph, CB Dubuque, Height 6'1, Weight 190.
    D-3 prospect and Senior Bowl invite who racked up 56 tackles, 8 interceptions, 8 pass breakups and 16 passes defended this last year. if you think he isn't worth a shot in the 5th round...well...31 out of 32 NFL teams have sent scouts to look at him.

Round 7
    Brendan Mahon, OG/OT, Penn State, Height: 6'4. Weight: 315.
    Local kid who played a lot of tackle but would be an offensive guard for the Steelers. Good run blocker but will need a season or two to mature as a pass protector. Move to the inside should help

Round 7
    Richie James, WR, Middle Tennessee, Height: 5'9. Weight: 180.
    Diminutive but productive receiver who could make Rogers expendable. Missing 7 games last year has dropped him on most draft boards... but if you do your homework you can see that previously, over a two year span, he had 213 catches, 2,971 yards, and 20 TD's
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

@LLT
    I love the Kyzir White pick. But, do you think he’ll still be there in R3. He had a great Senior Bowl week, which raised his draft stick...

@LLT
    I love the Kyzir White pick. But, do you think he’ll still be there in R3. He had a great Senior Bowl week, which raised his draft stick...
    I still have him as a 3rd round grade...but you are right...he may be gone. Also...the combine will totally mess up the existing grades.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --