Thread: WWE's Vince McMahon announces he will relaunch XFL in 2020

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

WWE's Vince McMahon announces he will relaunch XFL in 2020

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Re: WWE's Vince McMahon announces he will relaunch XFL in 2020

I'll check it out when it launches.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

NFL, NCAA, Arena, Arena 2, CFL, and XFL. And probably in that order.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Maybe we will find our next QB in the XFL. Hey, it could happen!
    If we're really lucky, we might even get the XFL MVP!

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    NFL, NCAA, Arena, Arena 2, CFL, and XFL. And probably in that order.
    It's not even available yet, and I'd still put it ahead of both Arena and CFL.

#HeHateMe

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Sounds like McMahon is taking it much more serious this time around. Maybe it will have a USFL type impact this time around...

Good way to get players would be to go after the younger NCAA talent before their NFL eligibility kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

MOAR FOOTBALL!!!!!! I'm in. Hopefully it can be developmental for guys on the cusp of the NFL.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I'm down, as long as they keep the cheesyness to a minimum... XFL was cheesy as hell to the point of quite annoying.

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Let kids join right out of high school, Pump them full of steroids to get big quickly, and run a 'pay for play' system. I don't know that is the plan, just my best guess knowing how the pro wrestling business has been ran. Not personal knowledge, but the info is definitely out there. How can a league that has one owner and subordinate team GMs be legit?

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    It's not even available yet, and I'd still put it ahead of both Arena and CFL.

#HeHateMe
    Agreed
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

If it's just the same game and same idea as the NFL but with worse players, I don't see how it's going to last.

Maybe if they put their initial franchises in Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego, and whatever other cities got hosed by the NFL. And some places like Austin and San Antonio that like football and are big enough to have a team but probably never will. Maybe a few in towns with big college programs, where you might be able to entice some of the talented guys who aren't going to go in the first couple rounds, and have a team of mostly Penn State players or mostly Notre Dame players or something, that people would root for.

Then force the worst team in the NFL to play an exhibition against the XFL champion. I'd pay to see that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    If it's just the same game and same idea as the NFL but with worse players, I don't see how it's going to last.

Maybe if they put their initial franchises in Oakland, St. Louis, San Diego, and whatever other cities got hosed by the NFL. And some places like Austin and San Antonio that like football and are big enough to have a team but probably never will. Maybe a few in towns with big college programs, where you might be able to entice some of the talented guys who aren't going to go in the first couple rounds, and have a team of mostly Penn State players or mostly Notre Dame players or something, that people would root for.

Then force the worst team in the NFL to play an exhibition against the XFL champion. I'd pay to see that.
    The biggest thing going against spring/summer league football is the 100+ degree turf temps. I know when the local highschool has their summer practices, they are not allowed on the turf fields due to heat. It doesn't hurt the field, but kids would be dropping from heat exhaustion left and right. How many grass football stadiums are left that would support a pro league?
    When it launches, I will check it out. I didn't pay much attention to it the last time because I didn't expect it to work then, and I don't expect it to now either. But what the heck do I know about it?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Even with the Commissioner Asshat-induced decline of the NFL's popularity, I still don't see this lasting long

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

He hate me. He hate me cause I love the game of football. He hate me cause I will out play my opponent. He hate me cause I'm an outlaw. He hate me

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The biggest thing going against spring/summer league football is the 100+ degree turf temps. I know when the local highschool has their summer practices, they are not allowed on the turf fields due to heat. It doesn't hurt the field, but kids would be dropping from heat exhaustion left and right. How many grass football stadiums are left that would support a pro league?
    When it launches, I will check it out. I didn't pay much attention to it the last time because I didn't expect it to work then, and I don't expect it to now either. But what the heck do I know about it?
    Would a solution be to just play only night games? might be possible because of the smaller size of the league, as far as i remember didnt they only have like 8 teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Would a solution be to just play only night games? might be possible because of the smaller size of the league, as far as i remember didnt they only have like 8 teams?
    I think you would have no choice but to play at night. Not sure how much those turf fields cool down after dark though. I've never been part of that maintenance crew, so I would have no knowledge on that. I do know my son played a jamboree game that started at 7:00 am. After the game he had blisters on the bottoms of his feet that he said were because they were so hot. Like hot sand at the beach. If he kept moving it wasn't as noticeable, but standing still his feet got very hot. He plays OT, so there was a lot of him standing still. Maybe didn't effect other players as much?
    Of course there is the possibility that the people in charge of our fields didn't know what they were doing either. All last season, they practiced on a grass field/area that accommodated the 8th and 7th grade teams at the same time. Only used the turf playing field for games. He didn't seem to have that problem with his feet last season that I remember. Maybe the crew learned how to better take care of it? 5th grade to 8th grade big difference.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

XFL Hall of Fame:

He Hate Me
    Tommy Maddox

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    XFL Hall of Fame:

He Hate Me
    Tommy Maddox
    He Hate Me wasn't the best RB in the XFL, but he really took advantage of that 'sports entertainment' angle and ran with it

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

John Avery was the leading back with 800 yards on the season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Going to have a schedule problem. Can't go head that head with the NFL or NCAA. So pushes it to the NFL off-season. Who is going to play in a gimmick league and risk injury prior to the NFL OTA and camp cycles? Certainly not any young actual fringe roster guys. Not gonna want to hit NFL camp beat to hell.

So new league with no fan base and players that won't make it out of the first week of NFL camps? Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWE's Vince McMahon announces he will relaunch XFL in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Going to have a schedule problem. Can't go head that head with the NFL or NCAA. So pushes it to the NFL off-season. Who is going to play in a gimmick league and risk injury prior to the NFL OTA and camp cycles? Certainly not any young actual fringe roster guys. Not gonna want to hit NFL camp beat to hell.

So new league with no fan base and players that won't make it out of the first week of NFL camps? Can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A college sophmore with talent, who comes from the dregs of society, gets thrown a million dollars a year to play in the XFL for a few years...you’d be surprised how many kids would grab that guaranteed easy money.

People used to say the same about the USFL and that took away a whole lot of college stars.

If there was an XFL Championship game on Sunday night, I would watch it over the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Depending on when they have their season, I could see it being used as an NFL audition of sorts by some decent young players who feel they didn't get a fair shake for one reason or another. But I agree it still wouldn't be anywhere near the talent level needed to get people excited about it. And if it's just regular football but with players nobody ever heard of, I don't know what the market is for that. At most you're going to struggle along like MLS.

Basically thinking out loud here, it would have to have a lot of recognizable college players who were hometown heroes but not cut out for the NFL. There are plenty of those guys around.

Maybe they also go out of their way to run a lot of experimental run-and-shoot offenses and all-out blitzing defenses and stuff, run up the score and have a lot of exciting plays that helps cover up the skill issue. THAT'S something where it actually helps to have a single owner; it would never happen with a bunch of separately owned teams competing with each other directly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If there was an XFL Championship game on Sunday night, I would watch it over the Patriots in the Super Bowl.
    Dude. I would watch a full playthrough of Desert Bus over a Patriots Super Bowl.

Hell, I'd watch 8 hours of Meatspin over a Patriots Super Bowl, it'd be a lot less gay.

See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

Hell, I'd watch 8 hours of Meatspin over a Patriots Super Bowl, it'd be a lot less gay.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

I think you would have no choice but to play at night. Not sure how much those turf fields cool down after dark though. I've never been part of that maintenance crew, so I would have no knowledge on that. I do know my son played a jamboree game that started at 7:00 am. After the game he had blisters on the bottoms of his feet that he said were because they were so hot. Like hot sand at the beach. If he kept moving it wasn't as noticeable, but standing still his feet got very hot. He plays OT, so there was a lot of him standing still. Maybe didn't effect other players as much?
    Of course there is the possibility that the people in charge of our fields didn't know what they were doing either. All last season, they practiced on a grass field/area that accommodated the 8th and 7th grade teams at the same time. Only used the turf playing field for games. He didn't seem to have that problem with his feet last season that I remember. Maybe the crew learned how to better take care of it? 5th grade to 8th grade big difference.
    I would only watch it if they go head to head with NFL schedule. You need to get people in the fall / winter time frame b/c that is football weather.

If they try it in spring / summer it will fail for sure.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood