Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Senior Bowl

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: 2018 Senior Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Also, Hernandez and Wynn both have a shot even as Guards. Maybe not "clear-cut", but 2 of the best 3 probably out there.
    I mostly paid attention to the ILBs. The only one thatI thought played consistently, and was around the ball a lot was the guy from Mich, McRay. DeLuca and Warner made nice plays here and there, but weren't as consistent, IMO. Leonard and Tre Williams also flashed some good play. Just not anyone that was overly impressive. Thoughts?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Lauletta played a great game. White showed off his accuracy as well.
    Who do you guys think gets drafted first between those 2? Lauletta shows good footwork, technique, accuracy....but White IMO is bigger, has stronger arm and possibly has bigger upside.

I haven't watched the game yet, just getting thru some practice sessions I recorded, but the OT Parker from NC A&T looks like a real skilled pass protector. Big kid, long arms, great feet and is a knee bender that shows good balance in pass pro for a 6'7" guy.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Who do you guys think gets drafted first between those 2? Lauletta shows good footwork, technique, accuracy....but White IMO is bigger, has stronger arm and possibly has bigger upside.
    I’m a big fan of Lauletta.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Also, Hernandez and Wynn both have a shot even as Guards. Maybe not "clear-cut", but 2 of the best 3 probably out there.
    Four months ago, my dream was to draft Quenton Nelson (LG)... and have the best O-line ever.

But, people started noticing how good Nelson was... and voila!!! he’s going to go top 10.

As a consolation prize, Hernandez and/or Wynn are still extremely good. We can not compare them to Nelson, because he might be the Alan Faneca/Will Shields for this generation (HOFer). In any other draft, Hernandez & Wynn would be 1 & 1a at OG.

I know now that we have Finney, but...

Regardless, with needs at ILB & S, I see very little chance that the Steelers draft an O-lineman this early.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Well, I'd say Davenport, who was already considered a 1st rounder by some, was a standout and did nothing but help himself. By the 2nd half, the North was throwing chips and doubles at him...

r.
    I agree that he will be a 1st round pick. Darius Leonard might eek in the bottom of the 1st, but I think more likely the 2nd. He is an athletic ILB that tackles everything, but at 230 lbs is a bit light and those guys seem to be in demand in the NFL these days.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I mostly paid attention to the ILBs. The only one thatI thought played consistently, and was around the ball a lot was the guy from Mich, McRay. DeLuca and Warner made nice plays here and there, but weren't as consistent, IMO. Leonard and Tre Williams also flashed some good play. Just not anyone that was overly impressive. Thoughts?
    Lb's aren't easy to evaluate in this type of format because of the scheme limitations, but quickness and tackling ability can be seen as far as consistency, imo. Guys you mention probably fit that bill. They aren't jumping off the film per say, but they are making plays. Problem for us is we tend to prefer the younger underclassmen, so guys our scouts are high on probably aren't even in this game. Only senior's that I would say have "possible" 1st round potential as an ILB are Evans and Jewell. and Josey is probably more suited for Vince Williams position than the more athletic Shazier position we more likely looking for in Evans... neither of which played in this game.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I haven't watched the game yet, just getting thru some practice sessions I recorded, but the OT Parker from NC A&T looks like a real skilled pass protector. Big kid, long arms, great feet and is a knee bender that shows good balance in pass pro for a 6'7" guy.
    I'd guess White goes somewhere in the 3rd... Probably a full round before Lauletta.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Lb's aren't easy to evaluate in this type of format because of the scheme limitations, but quickness and tackling ability can be seen as far as consistency, imo. Guys you mention probably fit that bill. They aren't jumping off the film per say, but they are making plays. Problem for us is we tend to prefer the younger underclassmen, so guys our scouts are high on probably aren't even in this game. Only senior's that I would say have "possible" 1st round potential as an ILB are Evans and Jewell. and Josey is probably more suited for Vince Williams position than the more athletic Shazier position we more likely looking for in Evans... neither of which played in this game.
    Absolutely. Micah Kiser was another no show for this game I would have loved to have seen. Who do you see as the 'Lawrence Timmons' of this draft, Senior Bowl or not?

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Four months ago, my dream was to draft Quenton Nelson (LG)... and have the best O-line ever.

But, people started noticing how good Nelson was... and voila!!! he’s going to go top 10.

As a consolation prize, Hernandez and/or Wynn are still extremely good. We can not compare them to Nelson, because he might be the Alan Faneca/Will Shields for this generation (HOFer). In any other draft, Hernandez & Wynn would be 1 & 1a at OG.

I know now that we have Finney, but...

Regardless, with needs at ILB & S, I see very little chance that the Steelers draft an O-lineman this early.
    My comment was more for the "Alex didn't see any clear-cut talent" at the senior bowl. Which it's true to some extent the talent wasn't overly saturated.

No question Nelson is the #1 guard, but as a Junior, we don't see him here regardless. I agree we (the Steelers) shouldn't go into this draft with OG on our minds for a 1st round pick, but my thought was Hernandez & Wynn have a real shot because of their great showing in this exhibition now.

Absolutely. Micah Kiser was another no show for this game I would have loved to have seen. Who do you see as the 'Lawrence Timmons' of this draft, Senior Bowl or not?
    Jerome Baker?

Jerome Baker?
    Or maybe Christian Sam? Darius Leonard is an interesting ILB. Depending on how the rest of pre-draft goes for him, he could end up being a top10 guy, or fall to the 2nd/3rd. I think I would give him serious consideration if he were there at 28, at this point. Again, his competition wasn't elite at the Senior Bowl either.

My comment was more for the "Alex didn't see any clear-cut talent" at the senior bowl. Which it's true to some extent the talent wasn't overly saturated.

No question Nelson is the #1 guard, but as a Junior, we don't see him here regardless. I agree we (the Steelers) shouldn't go into this draft with OG on our minds for a 1st round pick, but my thought was Hernandez & Wynn have a real shot because of their great showing in this exhibition now.

My post wasn’t necessarily directed at your post. It was more my annual “plug” for an upgrade at the LG spot.