Thread: Browns hiring Todd Haley as offensive coordinator

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Browns hiring Todd Haley as offensive coordinator

Hue Jackson is getting his playcaller.

The Cleveland Browns are hiring Todd Haley as the team's new offensive coordinator, NFL Network's Michael Silver reported.

Haley parted ways with the Pittsburgh Steelers after serving as the team's offensive coordinator from 2012-2017. Haley previously was the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs from 2009-2011.

Cleveland did not have an offensive coordinator in its last two seasons. Jackson called plays as part of his duties as head coach.

Around The NFL will have more on this story shortly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ve-coordinator

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Browns hiring Todd Haley as offensive coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Hue Jackson is getting his playcaller.

The Cleveland Browns are hiring Todd Haley as the team's new offensive coordinator, NFL Network's Michael Silver reported.
    So Jackson was hired for his chops to fix an offense, the team went 1-31, and now an O-coordinator was hired to bail out the offense while Jackson stays.

Why Jackson was not fired is a screwup even by Browns standards

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He will improve that offense...but thats not really hard to do at this stage...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

I hate that we didn't resign him. IMO this will bite us in the ass

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

PREDICTION: Browns start the season 0-9 and HJ is fired - Haley is installed as the Interim Coach and leads them to a 3-4 record and is hired full-time.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    I hate that we didn't resign him. IMO this will bite us in the ass
    Maybe but I thought it was time - eventually you wear out your welcome

Bottom line was Haley had ongoing issues with Ben and his support elsewhere eroded - given how Tomlin hates to let anyone go I think AJRII made the final call not to retain him

Offense was successful since 2014 and no serious consideration for HC positions during that time while numerous OCs with shorter tenures and no greater success got HC jobs

Unlike fans my assumption is that NFL front office types have better intel what the deal was in terms of the main reasons for any success by that offense (notice Munchak got a HC interview) and that Haley is not seen as a gem around the league - if Jackson might be gone after next season coaches presumably are not begging to get hired for what might be a short term gig in Cleveland unless there are not viable longer term alternatives out there - my guess is Haley was not shifting through job offers from new HCs looking to build a staff or teams looking to replace the OC

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Maybe but I thought it was time - eventually you wear out your welcome

Bottom line was Haley had ongoing issues with Ben and his support elsewhere eroded - given how Tomlin hates to let anyone go I think AJRII made the final call not to retain him

Offense was successful since 2014 and no serious consideration for HC positions during that time while numerous OCs with shorter tenures and no greater success got HC jobs

Unlike fans my assumption is that NFL front office types have better intel what the deal was in terms of the main reasons for any success by that offense (notice Munchak got a HC interview) and that Haley is not seen as a gem around the league - if Jackson might be gone after next season coaches presumably are not begging to get hired for what might be a short term gig in Cleveland unless there are not viable longer term alternatives out there - my guess is Haley was not shifting through job offers from new HCs looking to build a staff or teams looking to replace the OC
    You have a way of easing my mind... Somewhat

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Thanks for keeping Ben from getting killed, Tequila Cowboy, but you wore out your welcome. Good luck with the Factory of Sadness.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Is he going to commute? He has such a good rapport with his landlord and the 'burgh.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

All set. There is a Columbus location!

http://tequilacowboy.com/columbus/

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Browns' fans seem to be happy with the hire...

http://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthread...pics/1396238/1

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I think Browns' fans should be happy. He's not a bad OC. If the Browns pull out 6-8 wins next season, he could wind up as HC.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Haley isn't going to benefit from having Big Ben, Bell, and AB or Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, and Anquan Boldin up in Cleveland. I seriously doubt this goes well.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Haley isn't going to benefit from having Big Ben, Bell, and AB or Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, and Anquan Boldin up in Cleveland. I seriously doubt this goes well.
    And no Munchak

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I predict Haley will be drinking a bottle of vodka per night. He deserves Cleveland.
    All Defense!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

My opinion is Haley was a 'scapegoat' for now, not saying he didn't need to go, but I didn't think he should have been the first head to roll. I think with the LOSS to the Jags the way we did, and everyone screaming for changes, and of course we all heard the scuttle butt that Ben and Haley didn't see eye to eye, the F.O. thought now's the time to dump Haley......thinking that will shut everyone up and make us think the team and front office is going to finally make changes. BUT, as we all see, there is NO CHANGES being made in the DEFENSE COACHING which was the big reason for the LOST to the jags. Art Rooney you sure aren't Dan !! If the baby shits the diaper, don't just change the shirt.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    My opinion is Haley was a 'scapegoat' for now, not saying he didn't need to go, but I didn't think he should have been the first head to roll. I think with the LOSS to the Jags the way we did, and everyone screaming for changes, and of course we all heard the scuttle butt that Ben and Haley didn't see eye to eye, the F.O. thought now's the time to dump Haley......thinking that will shut everyone up and make us think the team and front office is going to finally make changes. BUT, as we all see, there is NO CHANGES being made in the DEFENSE COACHING which was the big reason for the LOST to the jags. Art Rooney you sure aren't Dan !! If the baby shits the diaper, don't just change the shirt.
    I think it was just time. Scapegoat or not, Haley had been running the offense too long here. It gets predictable after a while. I think the talent level had more to do with any success he had this season than his ability as OC. There comes a time to part ways and I think the timing was right this year.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Hue: Haley will have total autonomy of Browns offense

By Chris Wesseling
    Around the NFL Writer
    Published: May 4, 2018

When the Browns hired Hue Jackson away from the Bengals two years ago, it was his offensive scheming and play-calling that stood at the forefront.

After starting his Cleveland career with an unprecedented and ignominious 1-31 record, though, Jackson will relinquish those responsibilities to new coordinator Todd Haley.

As the Browns reported for rookie minicamp on Friday, Jackson acknowledged that Haley has been given "total autonomy" with the offense.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...browns-offense

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So what does Hue do? He was hired as a QB and offense guru and now he’s got that off his plate. Gotta figure he has one foot out the door unless the Browns take a big step.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Thread closed. Let it die in cyberspace.

This article is reposted as a separate thread. Please do not keep posting new articles in old threads as previously requested multiple times.