Thread: PFF 2018 Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers Select SDSU TE Dallas Goedert

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

PFF 2018 Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers Select SDSU TE Dallas Goedert

We’re sure to be bringing you several major media mock drafts throughout the offseason and that will likely include a few from Pro Football Focus.
    This past Thursday, Steve Palazzolo of PFF released his second mock draft of 2018 and he has the Pittsburgh Steelers selecting South Dakota State tight end Dallas Goedert 28th overall in the first round.
    Palazzolo writes of the pick:

A loaded Steelers offense can still use a consistent middle-of-the-field presence at tight end, and Goedert has the size and athleticism to be a matchup weapon in the NFL. He’s performed well when facing FBS competition, and he just capped another productive year at the FCS level.
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01...allas-goedert/

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: PFF 2018 Mock Draft 2.0: Steelers Select SDSU TE Dallas Goedert

Shoes, you okay with drafting a TE in the first round?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I'm interested to see Goedert at the Senior Bowl along with Fumigali and Gisecki, who are all supposed to attend. I'm thinking ILB and S are other potential positions, but if BPA is a TE, then go for it.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

"I’m not sure how you look at a team needing to replace an inside linebacker, possibly a franchise running back and upgrade spots at safety and outside linebacker would view tight end as the top need. The team already has Jesse James, Vance McDonald and Xavier Grimble under contract. Their lack of production was more about scheme than talent."

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...steelers-pick/

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I don't see them taking a TE early if Vance returns.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    "I’m not sure how you look at a team needing to replace an inside linebacker, possibly a franchise running back and upgrade spots at safety and outside linebacker would view tight end as the top need. The team already has Jesse James, Vance McDonald and Xavier Grimble under contract. Their lack of production was more about scheme than talent."

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...steelers-pick/
    I agree 100%. A TE in the first round would infuriate me.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yes a TE doesn't provide the positional value of other positions of need, but it's still a need worth taking in the first round in the event BPA at position of need is a TE. Jesse James (despite what some would argue for some reason) and Xavier Grimble are not good players, and Vance McDonald is a bad combination of injury-prone and unreliable in the few instances he is even on the field. Fact remains Steelers have not had a starter quality TE since Heath retired. I posted earlier, TE is one of 5 positions I wouldn't mind in round 1 along with QB, ILB, S, OLB (RB is excluded because RBs are a dime a dozen and there's no value in drafting one in round 1)

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Yes a TE doesn't provide the positional value of other positions of need, but it's still a need worth taking in the first round in the event BPA at position of need is a TE. Jesse James (despite what some would argue for some reason) and Xavier Grimble are not good players, and Vance McDonald is a bad combination of injury-prone and unreliable in the few instances he is even on the field. Fact remains Steelers have not had a starter quality TE since Heath retired. I posted earlier, TE is one of 5 positions I wouldn't mind in round 1 along with QB, ILB, S, OLB (RB is excluded because RBs are a dime a dozen and there's no value in drafting one in round 1)
    Why do you think having a top tier TE is important enough to warrant a 1st round selection? Fact is, this offense has been good to great without a top TE since Heath retired. If the offense was having trouble scoring, sure a top TE will alleviate some of that pressure. They aren't outside of stupid Haley calls, and that problem has been rectified. They need a better TE to block, not receive. They have enough weapons like that. You can get a good blocking TE later in the draft.

I don't see the TE position really needing to be addressed at all, especially Vance sticks around.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post

I don't see the TE position really needing to be addressed at all, especially Vance sticks around.
    Really? I don't see Vance McDonalds 14 receptions this season to be that encouraging, nor the fact that the 49ers got rid of him because they had rookie George Kittle to replace him. IMO, the TE position with the Steelers is below the Jerame Tuman level.

Still, I think with Andrews, Goedert, Fumagali, Gisecki in the draft that there might be one of them around in the 2nd round.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Really? I don't see Vance McDonalds 14 receptions this season to be that encouraging, nor the fact that the 49ers got rid of him because they had rookie George Kittle to replace him. IMO, the TE position with the Steelers is below the Jerame Tuman level.

Still, I think with Andrews, Goedert, Fumagali, Gisecki in the draft that there might be one of them around in the 2nd round.
    Passing up on Kittle was a huge blunder. That dumb decision is going to continue to impact this team. However, I don't care how efficiently the offense can score 42 points if the defense is going to give up 45. A good receiving TE is not going to make that much of a difference with how this offense goes. Instead of the top TE having 14 receptions, maybe they will have 40. Not enough of an improvement in my eyes to warrant a 1st or 2nd round selection. Maybe 2nd, but that would be pushing it.

They NEED better defensive players. Ben's window is closing and he has enough offensive weapons to make this team go. Another one is just a double layer of icing on an already iced cake that also happens to have icing in the middle. What you want is another side dish of icing to dip your cake into.

The biggest problem on offense is gone (Haley). The biggest problem on defense is still there (Butler). Therefore, you need better players on defense to cover up the deficiencies that are there. You don't need that on the offense.

I still think the Steelers have a bunch of 2nd string and 3rd string TE's playing on their roster right now. I agree they will need to address ILB because of Shazier injury and I have been saying for a couple seasons that an upgrade at FS is important as well. I still think TE should have been addressed last year instead of Dobbs and I think it should be addressed this year in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

"Landry hits Dallas for a TD..."

I still think the Steelers have a bunch of 2nd string and 3rd string TE's playing on their roster right now. I agree they will need to address ILB because of Shazier injury and I have been saying for a couple seasons that an upgrade at FS is important as well. I still think TE should have been addressed last year instead of Dobbs and I think it should be addressed this year in the draft.
    I agree. I just would rather they go 3rd or later. I don't want to see them use one of their fist two picks on one when there are much more pressing needs.

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    I agree. I just would rather they go 3rd or later. I don't want to see them use one of their fist two picks on one when there are much more pressing needs.
    The only thing is that lets just say they draft an ILB in the 1st, then when they get to the 2nd Round, the best player on the board is Fumagali or Gisecki at TE and the better Safety prospects are gone. I would rather they take the BPA at TE, than reach for a Safety.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If McDonald gets cut, a TE will be taken in R1 or R2.

If McDonald stays, a TE might not be drafted at all.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If McDonald gets cut, a TE will be taken in R1 or R2.

If McDonald stays, a TE might not be drafted at all.
    McDonald counts $4.3 million against the cap next season. I've seen worse money spent by the Steelers, than pay a guy with 14 receptions on the season that kind of money.... but not many.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

McDonald counts $4.3 million against the cap next season. I've seen worse money spent by the Steelers, than pay a guy with 14 receptions on the season that kind of money.... but not many.
    Ben likes him. That might be enough.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Ben likes him. That might be enough.
    You're buying what you think a 16 game healthy McDonald gets you with that cap $$. His cap # is actually in line with some of the 2nd and 3rd tier starting TEs across the league.

If the 2018 McDonald is the player that showed up towards the end of the regular season and especially in the playoff game - then he would be a bargain.

But I think Teegre nailed it - McDonald's roster status will be almost completely decided by Ben and the new OC.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

How about a guy who caught 10 passes for 112 yards in the playoff game and is a very good blocker? McDonald said that he and Ben put in extra time during the bye week and he finally felt that they were on the same page.

I think that he's worth that cap hit.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert