Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early round draft prospects for considerstion

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Early round draft prospects for considerstion

Of course, many on here will only consider defensive prospects, but as I have posted many times, the best formula is Best Player Available. The 1st round, possibly first 2 rounds, is where you find game changers. Reaching for position of need is a losing strategy. BPA plus position of need is a welcome bonus.

Rd1. Christion Wilkins DT Clem, Clelin Ferrell OLB Clem, Austin Bryant OLB Clem, Arden Key OLB LSU, Roquan Smith ILB Ga, Rashaan Evans ILB Bama, Minkah Fitzpatrick FS Bama, Justin Reid FS Stan, Terrell Edmunds FS VT, DeShon Elliot FS Tx, Billy Price C/G OSU, Bryce Love RB Stan, Troy Fumagalli TE Wis, Dalton Schultz TE Stan

This is just a preliminary list of potential 1st round candidates. Most are players that have plenty of film to take a look at. I tried to keep it to positions the Steelers are in need of as well to take advantage of that bonus I referred to. Feel free to discuss, add to, or ignore as you will.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Early round draft prospects for considerstion

Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise St.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Cool. It seems there is always a Vanderbilt ILB with a high ranking on these guru lists every year. Maybe one year they actually translate. What do you like about Vander Esch? I have seen his name on some lists, but I do not get much Boise football, if any.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Cool. It seems there is always a Vanderbilt ILB with a high ranking on these guru lists every year. Maybe one year they actually translate. What do you like about Vander Esch? I have seen his name on some lists, but I do not get much Boise football, if any.
    I’ve seen him on TV here & there (since they’re in the same division as SDSU).

It’s kind of like when I saw Deone Bucannon: Vander Esch just jumps off the screen. It’s like there are two of him; he’s always around the ball. And... he is a solid TACKLER.

I’m not saying he’s Luke Kuechly, but he’s that type of player.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Malik Jefferson and Justin Reid are at the top of my wishlist for round 1. With great combines, both are likely gone before pick 28 though

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Malik Jefferson and Justin Reid are at the top of my wishlist for round 1. With great combines, both are likely gone before pick 28 though
    If we had a competent LBs coach, we could turn Jefferson into the top 5 pick he’s supposed to be. Jefferson has that much talent.

Reid can play SS or FS... and even CB. He’s so versatile, that you can have him cover a WR, while the CB blitzes. Then, he can play in the box. Then, on third down, he can play centerfield.

The big question for this draft is when will the run on QBs come. The prediction today is the Browns, Giants, Broncos, Jets, Cardinals, Bills, all should be looking in the first, with the Chargers, Saints, Bengals, and Redskins all as possible cherry pickers should a top rated QB fall to their pick. There could be 5 QB selections taken by the time the Steelers pick. With Ben announcing his return for next season, this is a very good thing since it allows more defenders to fall down the board. Add in at least 2 RBs, 1-2 TEs, 2-3 OL, and another 2-3 WRs, it could total up to 15 offensive players taken before the Steelers at 28. Making one of the coveted ILBs, OLBs, or Safeties that much more likely to fall to us. I don't see us grabbing a DT, or CB in the 1st this year either, so add in another possible 4-5 players off the board. This first round COULD play out very nicely for the Steelers his year again. I believe we hit gold with Shazier, Burns, and Watt. Dupree still remains to be played out fully, but 3 out of 4 is a winning trend.

Keep in mind the year that we took Bud, also produced Coates, Senquez, and Doran Grant as our first 4 picks. Not looking good for Bud to pan out. (Jesse James, LT Walton and Anthony Chickillo are the keepers from that draft)

The big question for this draft is when will the run on QBs come. The prediction today is the Browns, Giants, Broncos, Jets, Cardinals, Bills, all should be looking in the first, with the Chargers, Saints, Bengals, and Redskins all as possible cherry pickers should a top rated QB fall to their pick. There could be 5 QB selections taken by the time the Steelers pick. With Ben announcing his return for next season, this is a very good thing since it allows more defenders to fall down the board. Add in at least 2 RBs, 1-2 TEs, 2-3 OL, and another 2-3 WRs, it could total up to 15 offensive players taken before the Steelers at 28. Making one of the coveted ILBs, OLBs, or Safeties that much more likely to fall to us. I don't see us grabbing a DT, or CB in the 1st this year either, so add in another possible 4-5 players off the board. This first round COULD play out very nicely for the Steelers his year again. I believe we hit gold with Shazier, Burns, and Watt. Dupree still remains to be played out fully, but 3 out of 4 is a winning trend.

Keep in mind the year that we took Bud, also produced Coates, Senquez, and Doran Grant as our first 4 picks. Not looking good for Bud to pan out. (Jesse James, LT Walton and Anthony Chickillo are the keepers from that draft)
    Your top 6, in some order, will be:

Rosen
    Darnold
    Allen
    Mayfield
    Barkley
    Fitzpatrick

1. CLEV
    2. NYG
    3. INDY
    4. CLEV
    5. DENV
    6. NYJ

The Bills want Rosen, and have two R1 picks (21, 22). The Browns could trade down, and still get a QB. That leaves the Colts in the driver’s seat at 3... where the Jets might leapfrog the Broncos to get the final QB.

Let’s assume it plays out like this...

1. BUFF - Rosen
    2. NYG - Darnold
    3. NYJ - Mayfield
    4. CLEV - Allen
    5. DENV - Fitzpatrick
    6. INDY - Barkley

Your top 6, in some order, will be:

Rosen
    Darnold
    Allen
    Mayfield
    Barkley
    Fitzpatrick

1. CLEV
    2. NYG
    3. INDY
    4. CLEV
    5. DENV
    6. NYJ

The Bills want Rosen, and have two R1 picks (21, 22). The Browns could trade down, and still get a QB. That leaves the Colts in the driver’s seat at 3... where the Jets might leapfrog the Broncos to get the final QB.

Let’s assume it plays out like this...

1. BUFF - Rosen
    2. NYG - Darnold
    3. NYJ - Mayfield
    4. CLEV - Allen
    5. DENV - Fitzpatrick
    6. INDY - Barkley
    I know this is all still complete speculation, but I see the Browns taking weapons for Kizer in the first. I think that whole Jackson is frustrated with him thing is a smokescreen. I could see them taking Barkley/Love at 1, and then grabbing Ridley at 4. The Browns would then have Kizer with a star RB, 2 star WRs, and still have the 33rd to take whichever QB happens to fall out of the 1st(one always does), if they choose. I definitely see the Broncos taking Mayfield at 5. The Bills trading up to get Rosen scenario is intriguing. Jets are definitely in the QB business this draft, but the Giants may be in the same boat as us depending on Eli's plans this offseason.

Have to admit, I love this pre-draft stuff. Speculation at first but by draft day, can usually get pretty close on round 1 positioning and draftee order.

I know this is all still complete speculation, but I see the Browns taking weapons for Kizer in the first. I think that whole Jackson is frustrated with him thing is a smokescreen. I could see them taking Barkley/Love at 1, and then grabbing Ridley at 4. The Browns would then have Kizer with a star RB, 2 star WRs, and still have the 33rd to take whichever QB happens to fall out of the 1st(one always does), if they choose. I definitely see the Broncos taking Mayfield at 5. The Bills trading up to get Rosen scenario is intriguing. Jets are definitely in the QB business this draft, but the Giants may be in the same boat as us depending on Eli's plans this offseason.

Have to admit, I love this pre-draft stuff. Speculation at first but by draft day, can usually get pretty close on round 1 positioning and draftee order.
    If it is indeed a smokescreen, then the Browns would be crazy to NOT trade out of #1.

4. Minkah Fitzpatrick FS

Or, trade back with the Jets...

4. Minkah Fitzpatrick FS
    5. Bradley Chubb, OLB

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I thought defense wins championships, #1 and #2 d’s both lose today.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops wrong thread

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

He is only 218 lbs though. I feel like thats a little light for I LB.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Marcus Davenport UTSA Edge.

6'7 651 looks dominate small school prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    He’s 240.

(I’m guessing you’re looking at his freshman bio. The universities rarely change those things. LOL)

He’s 240.

(I’m guessing you’re looking at his freshman bio. The universities rarely change those things. LOL)
    Ahh this changes things a lot then.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    By the end of the season, he may be lighter.

James Farrior used to weigh 218 by the end of the year. He was listed at 243.

As for Running Backs, what do you guys think of Royce Freeman? Anyone watch Oregon enough to have an opinion? He put up over 1400 yards this season and is a huge back at 6' and 230lbs. Just wondering why I haven't heard of him.

Junior Member Array title="KillerBees is an unknown quantity at this point"> KillerBees's Avatar

I entertained the idea of a first round QB being taken at #28 such as Rudolph or Allen, but clearly there stock is rising and they won’t be there. Lamar Jackson may be there but we have bigger needs currently with Ben being back. Also I’m still trying to give Dobbs time.

I’m also gonna act like the RB position is not even a thought because we will resign L. Bell. I say we grab a few offense players in late rounds that could be a steal. Maybe like a late round WR to replace E. Rogers. (Free agent and injury)

That leaves the early rounds primarily for defense. Just like most every other Steelers draft.

1st round
    Rashaan Evans LB Bama
    Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St
    Malik Jefferson LB Texas
    Ronnie Harrison S Bama
    Marcus Allen S Penn State
    Marcus Davenport EDGE UTSA
    Arden Key EDGE LSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBees View Post
    I entertained the idea of a first round QB being taken at #28 such as Rudolph or Allen, but clearly there stock is rising and they won’t be there. Lamar Jackson may be there but we have bigger needs currently with Ben being back. Also I’m still trying to give Dobbs time.

I’m also gonna act like the RB position is not even a thought because we will resign L. Bell. I say we grab a few offense players in late rounds that could be a steal. Maybe like a late round WR to replace E. Rogers. (Free agent and injury)

That leaves the early rounds primarily for defense. Just like most every other Steelers draft.

1st round
    Rashaan Evans LB Bama
    Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St
    Malik Jefferson LB Texas
    Ronnie Harrison S Bama
    Marcus Allen S Penn State
    Marcus Davenport EDGE UTSA
    Arden Key EDGE LSU

Don't close the book just yet on Josey Jewell. Tyler Matakevich type college production playing in the Big10, plus supposed to be a bit faster than Dirty Red. Need more info though before I can go all in, or say wait a round.

Another consideration to keep on your big board is Micah Kiser of Virginia. Another 4 year big producer at LB.

Good player....I think he is a solid 2nd round choice who "may" slip into the last part of the first round, but more likely will fall into that 40-range, where he will be gone before our next pick. A player that I DO think will be there and I would be interested in as a 2nd rounder is Safety DeShon Elliott.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

I'm warming more to Rashaan Evans, also my mancrush on Jefferson has cooled off some with concerns about his coverage and shedding off blocks, two things this team really needs the ILBs to do

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Good player....I think he is a solid 2nd round choice who "may" slip into the last part of the first round, but more likely will fall into that 40-range, where he will be gone before our next pick. A player that I DO think will be there and I would be interested in as a 2nd rounder is Safety DeShon Elliott.
    Leighton Vander Esch reminds me of Artie Burns, in that both should go/should have gone at about pick 40, but I could see a run on ILBs at the mid-20s (just like there was a run on CBs in the mid-20s in 2016) and the Steelers “reaching” for Vander Esch.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Round 2 could have a dozen safeties drafted. Well, maybe not a dozen... but a lot:
    -Kyzir White, WVU
    -Trayvon Henderson , Hawaii
    -Marcus Allen, Penn St.
    -Terrell Edmunds, VaTech
    -DeShon Elliot, Texas

Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State
    6'4" - 240lbs

2017 stats:
    141 total tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 5 passes defensed, 4 forced fumbles, 2 INTs

http://www.draftblaster.com/2018-nfl...b-boise-state/

http://pigskinprospects.com/players/...n-vander-esch/

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/...on-vander-esch

Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise State
    6'4" - 240lbs

2017 stats:
    141 total tackles, 8.5 TFL, 4 sacks, 5 passes defensed, 4 forced fumbles, 2 INTs

http://www.draftblaster.com/2018-nfl...b-boise-state/

http://pigskinprospects.com/players/...n-vander-esch/

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/...on-vander-esch
    Get him at 28.

Or, trade back with Cleveland for 35 (and a R4 pick) and take him at there.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Arden Key has top 10 talent but man there is almost every red flag ever surrounding this kid.

Question is how far of a fall before it is just too tempting to pass up?

Second round?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Arden Key has top 10 talent but man there is almost every red flag ever surrounding this kid.

Question is how far of a fall before it is just too tempting to pass up?

Second round?

Players who disappear are risky.

And, Key disappeared on the field (his play sucked) and also from the program entirely (no show). Add in his 50 lbs. swing in his weight... and... NO.

On one of the draft prospect sites it mentioned that Key's coaches question if he has a love for football. I have coached young kids (12 and under), and you can tell the ones that want to be there and the ones that don't. Maybe doesn't realistically relate to college players, but the ones that do not want to be there usually are the reason someone else gets hurt. By way of not blocking, partial effort, half speed, stuff like that. Unfortunately, that was the only line that mattered to me in Key's bio. I would take a pass.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Players who disappear are risky.

And, Key disappeared on the field (his play sucked) and also from the program entirely (no show). Add in his 50 lbs. swing in his weight... and... NO.
    Yeah. I have to agree. Key might just be one of those guys that comes up every few years that has all the talent in the world, but you just take him off the board from the word go.

Key's lackadaisical attitude and lack of commitment is the last thing this team needs. They need to repeat last year's strategy of making drafting high character guys who love to play the game the top priority

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I know its not romantic but we seem to avoid picking an O linemen in our mocks. The fact is Foster is about ready to take that long walk in the sunset. David DeCastro was considered the 10th best prospect overall in 2012, yet slid to #24 and thankfully we were able to get him. I wouldn't mind that happening again this year with Quentin Nelson. Munch is going to get at least one pick, in spite of us.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profil...son?id=2559948