Thread: Fix the Steelers in One Offseason

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Fix the Steelers in One Offseason

So what would you do? No idea too crazy. Here is my initial list:

1. Replace Porter, Lake, and Olsavsky. I look at teams that have recently had a change at head coach or DC and I try and poach some Munchack/Mitchelll/Mann position coach talent. Raiders, Browns, Jets, Packers have run similar concepts recently and their staffs are not exactly stable situations. Is there someone out there who can help some of the younger defenders develop better than the current crew? Not sure, but I take a long look.

2. Restructure and release anyone I can get away with to free up cap space. We saw what having a bit of room to maneuver did with guys like Wilcox and McDonald. Having a handful of million dollars laying around to get depth guys could really help fill out the roster - especially on defense.

3. I know it sounds weird, but I go get some WRs. Top 3 are fine, but this team is back to the bottom of the barrel with Eli Rogers injury. I’m doing whatever I can to not have Connie Hamilton and Demarcus Ayers 2.0 playing significant snaps in 2018.

4. IlBs. Go get some. I have no idea who or where, but you likely need about 3 - maybe 4.

5. OLB. Need some rotation guys here at best and an impact player at worst. All depends on how the organization feels about Dupree and to a lesser extent Adams. Chickillo is a back-up at best and Watt looks like a keeper.

6. Safeties. Oh my. Need a bunch of guys here. Honestly, other that’s Davis, I’m not sure I would keep anyone if I was Colbert. However, I think they keep Mitchell because you can’t start an off-season cycle with only Davis on the roster! Especially with the wasteland that is ILB.

7. Tag Bell. Don’t care about the locker room stuff. I’m not going into 2018 without the best bullets I can loaded in the chamber. Bell, Brown, and Ben are the offense. Let’s keep the band together for one more ride. Special players, special rules. Not ideal, but thats where things are at this day and age.

8. Get Munch another OT and another interior OL. Finley cant continue to function as the only decent G/C back-up. Pouncey’s health is never assured. Also if Hawkins is the new Hubbard, need the new Hawkins.

9. Might have to roll with McDonald and James as the top 2 TEs. I promised SHoes I would get on the TE draft bandwagon, but man there are other terribly pressing needs and a healthy McDonald might just band-aid it another year.

10. Move Allen to safety. I know he is raw, but the need is there. Pull the trigger now and maybe get him out he field sooner.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Re: Fix the Steelers in One Offseason

Get Shazier a bionic spine !!

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Get Shazier a bionic spine !!
    That would be so cool!! Then he could make that sound from the TV show whenever he made a play.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

There was an old anime movie called Battle Angel Alita (Gunnm) in the '90s where spine thieves made big bucks ripping out spines from bums and drunks and other unfortunates, and selling them to wealthier clients and gangsters who needed new ones. This would be a prime opportunity to get that business started.

Other than that, I think this list nailed it. I don't think I would change anything on it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    There was an old anime movie called Battle Angel Alita (Gunnm) in the '90s where spine thieves made big bucks ripping out spines from bums and drunks and other unfortunates, and selling them to wealthier clients and gangsters who needed new ones. This would be a prime opportunity to get that business started.

Other than that, I think this list nailed it. I don't think I would change anything on it.
    A live action version of that is coming out this summer — https://youtu.be/gu1vBQXazOQ

At least I assume it is from the same anime/manga source

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I really liked the thread you started showing how unlikely it will be to fix this through free agency. There have been some pretty interesting ideas on the forum already as well. Sometimes you need to take from your surplus to improve your inefficiency. I'm thinking a sign and trade with Bell, a trade for Bryant, maybe some team covets Landry Jones, something that either gets us draft picks, or a proven defensive producer. I'm terrible at the details of such things so I leave that part up to imagination. Only 6 picks this draft when we have such a glaring hole in the middle of our defense, doesn't give me a lot of confidence. I'm thinking we will need to trim some fat from the prized pig.

1. Replace Butler. Put Porter, Lake, and Olsavsky on notice that the house will be cleaned next year if there is not significant increase at the positions they coach.

2. We need an ILB worse than anything. So much worse, in fact, that it is worth giving up the third and seventh round pick to jump seven slots and grab one worthy of a first round choice if he falls to 21.

3. Sit Ben down and explain to him that without a defense, he's never getting another ring. Then extend his contract another year at a cap-friendly price and even out his cap hit over the next three years.

4. Go find a good safety and cut Mitchell and his heavy cap hit. OR, sign Mitchell to a new, and much reduced contract for the next three years.

5. Sign Shazier to a two-year deal that guarantees him the money he'd make this year plus a three-million bonus in 2018 if he is on the active roster and five or so million bonus if he's on the active roster next year. Also, vet minimum for the non-guaranteed salary both years. This way, if he doesn't make it back, we've spread the cap hit out over two years, yet he gets his money and also gets to be part of the team. If he does make it back at any point during the season, the automatic risers kick in and he gets paid his worth. (I'm sure I'm missing a few things here, but the concept is there).

6. Tag Bell, then work out a contract with him. Even pull Ben into the discussion and let Ben remind him he's given up some of his salary to retain Bell. This way, hopefully, Bell realizes he's taken money out of other people's pocket by being selfish.

7. Move Allen to safety.

8. Make Dobbs runs with the first team often in the OTAs, camp, and preseason to learn his ceiling and then plan the QB succession from there as we have three years to do so.

9. Send the junior scouts and assistant coaches into the tape room with a ton of tape from small schools. Offer contracts to several small-school LBs with the hopes that we find another Hilton, this time at LB.

10. Use the 2nd round pick, possibly even bundled with a fourth round if necessary, to find a TE. If none are available, look for a true NT.

11. Find embarrassing and/or incriminating evidence on Munchak and threaten to expose him if he decides to coach elsewhere.

In hindsight, this is probably pretty close to the OP.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I like the mix of Mojo's and Preaches Steelers fix. Butler won't go since it seems Tomlin was calling a bunch of the D plays this year. So replacing Porter, Lake, and Olsavsky is a good start. I would still grab a good TE early if one of them starts slipping because other teams start a feeding frenzy on a position. Come draft time the TE never seem to be a real need until midway through the season. On Bell I'd be open for a trade option.