Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Le’Veon Bell Showed Up Late To Jaguars Game, Missed Nearly All Of Saturday’s Walkthrough

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Report: Le’Veon Bell Showed Up Late To Jaguars Game, Missed Nearly All Of Saturday’s Walkthrough

This offense depends on Bell. If a new OC is going to change that, fine. Otherwise pay Bell to do what he does, because he's the reason it's a top rated offense. If he leaves, so does 80% of the offensive production. As of today, this is a one dimensional offense until we either sign Bell, or find his replacement.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Report: Le’Veon Bell Showed Up Late To Jaguars Game, Missed Nearly All Of Saturday’s Walkthrough

Rapoport: Steelers won't talk long-term contract with Bell until franchise tag is signed

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...-tag-is-signed

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

With that money sane amount of money, the Steelers could get either Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) or Lamarcus Joyner (FS). Both would improve this defense immensely.

Or... they could get both Eric Reid (FS) and Ziggy Ansah (OLB/DE).

But, man alive!!! Bell is so good.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    With that money sane amount of money, the Steelers could get either Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) or Lamarcus Joyner (FS). Both would improve this defense immensely.

I've always said, we are most certainly a better team when he is on the field. (by about a mile) It's too bad he's so immature about his methods of pointing this out.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

"Now, let's talk about what Bell does not do on the field.

He does not break open games. His longest carry in 15 games this season went for 27 yards, and he had just three runs of more than 20 yards. Among the league’s top backs, only Indianapolis’ 34-year-old Frank Gore had a shorter season-long run, and 26 backs had more runs of 20-plus yards.

Although it is often said Bell possesses receiver skills so exceptional he could operate as an extra wideout, he rarely functions in that role. His receptions consisted primarily of check-downs by Ben Roethlisberger and produced an average gain of 7.7 yards. Among backs who caught at least 50 passes, that figure tied for eighth place.

Most damning, though, is that Bell does not impose his will upon the defense. He averaged 4.0 yards per carry in 2017, tied for 10th among the league’s top 15 rushers. He carried 321 times, and fully 15 percent of those attempts went for no gain or negative yardage. Add in those that produced fewer than 3 yards — and subtract his three 1-yard touchdowns and six converted first downs — and the share of failed runs rises to 39 percent."

https://sports.yahoo.com/return-supe...234457366.html

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Walk me through the "No Bell Offense" plan. Where does his production come from. However he ranks league-wise, whatever his attitude, however mature, he is the fulcrum of this Steeler offense.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I can live with Reid and Ansah!

They can find a RB that will be good enough with the talent on offense IMO.

I love Bell as a player. As I've said, I may have been his biggest fan from the very beginning as I lobbied for the Steelers to draft him because I thought he would be a great player. He plays hard all the time. He knows his assignments. He blocks. His receiving skills are unmatched. He doesn't bitch about not getting the ball.

He is just insufferable about this contract. I'm sure James Harrison has been a great role model in that regard.

As much as it hurts, I'm OK with them letting him go. There's more than one way to win, and no one player is bigger than that ultimate goal. Being held hostage by a running back that probably has more great days behind him than in front of him is not the way to reach the promised land. I also don't like the example or the precedent it creates on behavior going forward. This shit needs to stop, and the idea that being a locker room or off-field asshole gets you rewarded needs to stop right now.

This team can use those millions for other areas of need in free agency, and then land a couple studs in the draft.

Bell is great.......But Ben makes this team go. When Bell was running for 67 yards per game, Ben was slinging it all over the yard and carrying this team again. Even AB can't do what AB does without Ben. I generally trust the organization to do what's right, but I think Bell needs to be shown the door. I think the team gets stronger without him and his enormous salary. Just last year I told everyone going into the draft about Kamara and how his game would translate to the NFL. There are guys like that in nearly every draft. I believe that they can find someone dynamic enough to fit this offense at a fraction of the cost of Bell.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    "Now, let's talk about what Bell does not do on the field.

He does not break open games. His longest carry in 15 games this season went for 27 yards, and he had just three runs of more than 20 yards. Among the league’s top backs, only Indianapolis’ 34-year-old Frank Gore had a shorter season-long run, and 26 backs had more runs of 20-plus yards.

Although it is often said Bell possesses receiver skills so exceptional he could operate as an extra wideout, he rarely functions in that role. His receptions consisted primarily of check-downs by Ben Roethlisberger and produced an average gain of 7.7 yards. Among backs who caught at least 50 passes, that figure tied for eighth place.

Most damning, though, is that Bell does not impose his will upon the defense. He averaged 4.0 yards per carry in 2017, tied for 10th among the league’s top 15 rushers. He carried 321 times, and fully 15 percent of those attempts went for no gain or negative yardage. Add in those that produced fewer than 3 yards — and subtract his three 1-yard touchdowns and six converted first downs — and the share of failed runs rises to 39 percent."

https://sports.yahoo.com/return-supe...234457366.html
    And that's why I wouldn't pay him big money. Draft another versatile RB and move on. Connor isn't the answer. It's too bad Barkley will be gone. He is the only RB I would draft in the 1st round.
    Hater = Realist

I keep reading the words, "another versatile RB, a RB that will be good enough". That's not a good enough plan to replace what Bell already does. It's just not. If it costs another franchise tag to keep his production, then that is what it costs. There are no other viable plans at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I keep reading the words, "another versatile RB, a RB that will be good enough". That's not a good enough plan to replace what Bell already does. It's just not. If it costs another franchise tag to keep his production, then that is what it costs. There are no other viable plans at this time.
    we will definitely franchise tag Bell again, but I highly doubt the Steelers give in to his unreasonable contract demands.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Although it is often said Bell possesses receiver skills so exceptional he could operate as an extra wideout, he rarely functions in that role.
    Which is much more of an indictment of the OC than Bell...
    In Bell's breakout year as a receiver in 2014 a killer throw was Bell on a slant across the middle where the safety or LB covering him could not keep up

In 2014 week 17 Bengals took care of that by taking out his knee after one of those completions

https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2014/12...injury-bengals

Do not recall seeing that play nearly as much the past few seasons, possibly based on great potential costs not justifying potential benefits - which is how it works when you pay big $$$ to RBs

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    In Bell's breakout year as a receiver in 2014 a killer throw was Bell on a slant across the middle where the safety or LB covering him could not keep up

In 2014 week 17 Bengals took care of that by taking out his knee after one of those completions

https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2014/12...injury-bengals

Do not recall seeing that play nearly as much the past few seasons, possibly based on great potential costs not justifying potential benefits - which is how it works when you pay big $$$ to RBs
    So, take an effective play out of the playbook because of a cheap shot artist. Sounds a lot like the moratorium on QB sneaks.

Glad Haley's moving on...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    So, take an effective play out of the playbook because of a cheap shot artist. Sounds a lot like the moratorium on QB sneaks.

Glad Haley's moving on...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

It's not just the words. You get all that money to use on quality players to help the team. Then draft and try to find a standout RB for a fraction of the money and you have improved your team.

I won't be dancing around celebrating if the best RB in football isn't on the roster, but I understand where this team is right now, and how much help they need at other positions. $14 + million can bring in a ton of help at multiple positions.

Would you take a Kareem Hunt-type RB this year, while picking up a quality free agent pass rusher and safety with Bell's salary? It's entirely possible.

I just still believe there are ways to succeed without Bell. That's a huge amount of money to pay a non-quarterback, and a position that can be addressed successfully in the draft.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Again...

Where’s the evidence that it wasn’t excused. No one here knows whether it was or was not excusable. If it was a big deal...don’t you think more than one person would be reporting on it at that time? Look at the Harrison situation...how many sources were there in that case? How many people reported that? Bouchette again, the only one out there with a “source” (following stories where his “sources” were less than credible...lol) as ESPN piggies backs the story.

Point is...whether it is or isn’t an excusable thing, no one here knows and it’s coming from an unreliable reporter who has been known lately to try to report controversial stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

This off-season is going to be messy regarding Bell. I'm sure he will be spouting off on social media again, although I hope he doesn't.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    This off-season is going to be messy regarding Bell. I'm sure he will be spouting off on social media again, although I hope he doesn't.
    Agree. Social media is evil most of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Ok. So take Bells money and look at the FA list. They are easily available on the Google machines.

Based on all the lists I've seen the available players I've seen are 2 down linebackers with the same skillset and profile as VW. That doesn't help.

Most of the available safeties are box guys or vets entering their third contract with question marks. Don't need that.

Having cap money and having there be players available that fit your needs is not the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ok. So take Bells money and look at the FA list. They are easily available on the Google machines.

Based on all the lists I've seen the available players I've seen are 2 down linebackers with the same skillset and profile as VW. That doesn't help.

Most of the available safeties are box guys or vets entering their third contract with question marks. Don't need that.

Having cap money and having there be players available that fit your needs is not the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you're saying that the team needs to decide who they're taking right now? They don't get to go through a draft, see who is franchised, see what veteran players with big contracts that are cut, or the cuts in the preseason to get talent? They can only base their decision on players available while the AFC Championship game is on?

Are trades not an option?

I mean, what are we talking about here? A team needs to sign a RB to a nearly $15 million, 1-year contract because they can't guarantee a player as good as him?

Again....if they somehow draft a Hunt or Kamara type player, they would still be wrong for not signing Bell?

There are going to be good players on the open market. There always are. I just don't want the team held hostage to one player that is becoming a bigger distraction every day, and a culture in a locker room that is legitimately being questioned.

It's strange that I'm the guy that is making the argument to let Bell go. I love him as a player. It's just starting to feel like it's time for a multitude of reasons.

If they keep him, I'd love to see what they can do with the roster to add to it.

If they then can't re-sign Haden, what have they actually gained by keeping Bell, other than creating another hole or two on the roster? Is anyone even considering who the team will lose if they sign him?

These are real questions that need to be answered now if everyone needs to know what FA players will be signed by the team right now as well.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    So you're saying that the team needs to decide who they're taking right now? They don't get to go through a draft, see who is franchised, see what veteran players with big contracts that are cut, or the cuts in the preseason to get talent? They can only base their decision on players available while the AFC Championship game is on?

Are trades not an option?

I mean, what are we talking about here? A team needs to sign a RB to a nearly $15 million, 1-year contract because they can't guarantee a player as good as him?

Again....if they somehow draft a Hunt or Kamara type player, they would still be wrong for not signing Bell?

There are going to be good players on the open market. There always are. I just don't want the team held hostage to one player that is becoming a bigger distraction every day, and a culture in a locker room that is legitimately being questioned.

It's strange that I'm the guy that is making the argument to let Bell go. I love him as a player. It's just starting to feel like it's time for a multitude of reasons.

If they keep him, I'd love to see what they can do with the roster to add to it.

If they then can't re-sign Haden, what have they actually gained by keeping Bell, other than creating another hole or two on the roster? Is anyone even considering who the team will lose if they sign him?

These are real questions that need to be answered now if everyone needs to know what FA players will be signed by the team right now as well.
    Look, I'm not saying cap room isn't a good thing. I am saying that everyone seems to be thinking that you can take $$ from pot A and move them to pot B to patch a hole. But you have to consider the other moves that $$ transfer creates.

Big-time playmaking ILBs are usually not available in FA. From the lists I have seen there is NOT even a guy with a Shazier skill-set whose contract is expiring coming into this off-season. So what is the point of freeing up cap $$ with nothing to spend it on? Same with FS. Now that may change, you are correct in pointing that out.

But let's explore not franchising Bell (remember you can always pull the tag, trade him, or sign him to a deal that lowers the cap hit however unlikely). Now you have the following holes to patch before you can even really consider other positions:
    1. Starting RB.
    2. 1 starting ILB and @ least 1high-level reserve
    3. 1 starting safety and @ least 2 high-level reserves

I think that part of Bell's cap $$ could go towards the high-level reserves and maybe the starting safety. But you still have a gaping hole at ILB and RB. Now you go into the draft needing to nail 2 picks with immediate starter level impacts.

If you tag Bell, you can extend/restructure Ben R, cut Mike Mitchell, Wilcox, and Golden, throw in a Decastro restructure and now you have the same or MORE cap $$$ to chase FA defenders and NOT a gaping hole on offense as well as in the middle of your defense.

My only real point is that moving resources from one point to another has a cost. And that cost has to be paid. In this case it is spending a top 3 round pick on a RB. Unless anyone thinks Conner/Ridley/Touissant are gonna cut it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

There are no quality ILBs in free agency. Maybe you can move Nigel Bradham to ILB... maybe...

But, there are quite a few safeties.

There are no quality ILBs in free agency. Maybe you can move Nigel Bradham to ILB... maybe...

But, there are quite a few safeties.
    True there are - assuming they all make it to the open market. But looking at things, you can free up more than enough cash to chase 2 high $$ FAs (like 10 million+) by cutting Mitchell, Wilcox, Golden, and restructuring DeCastro and extending/redoing Ben R's deal. Of course that all assumes there is way to get out of Shazier's cap hit and the research by others shows that might not happen!

I also realize that I argued that there wasn't enough $$ for FAs, but I'm revising that considering that I didn't take into account restructures and Ben R willing to commit to multiple additional seasons.

True there are - assuming they all make it to the open market. But looking at things, you can free up more than enough cash to chase 2 high $$ FAs (like 10 million+) by cutting Mitchell, Wilcox, Golden, and restructuring DeCastro and extending/redoing Ben R's deal. Of course that all assumes there is way to get out of Shazier's cap hit and the research by others shows that might not happen!

I also realize that I argued that there wasn't enough $$ for FAs, but I'm revising that considering that I didn't take into account restructures and Ben R willing to commit to multiple additional seasons.
    True.

Bell will be tagged. Then, it’s his move...

Look, I'm not saying cap room isn't a good thing. I am saying that everyone seems to be thinking that you can take $$ from pot A and move them to pot B to patch a hole. But you have to consider the other moves that $$ transfer creates.

Big-time playmaking ILBs are usually not available in FA. From the lists I have seen there is NOT even a guy with a Shazier skill-set whose contract is expiring coming into this off-season. So what is the point of freeing up cap $$ with nothing to spend it on? Same with FS. Now that may change, you are correct in pointing that out.

But let's explore not franchising Bell (remember you can always pull the tag, trade him, or sign him to a deal that lowers the cap hit however unlikely). Now you have the following holes to patch before you can even really consider other positions:
    1. Starting RB.
    2. 1 starting ILB and @ least 1high-level reserve
    3. 1 starting safety and @ least 2 high-level reserves

I think that part of Bell's cap $$ could go towards the high-level reserves and maybe the starting safety. But you still have a gaping hole at ILB and RB. Now you go into the draft needing to nail 2 picks with immediate starter level impacts.

If you tag Bell, you can extend/restructure Ben R, cut Mike Mitchell, Wilcox, and Golden, throw in a Decastro restructure and now you have the same or MORE cap $$$ to chase FA defenders and NOT a gaping hole on offense as well as in the middle of your defense.

My only real point is that moving resources from one point to another has a cost. And that cost has to be paid. In this case it is spending a top 3 round pick on a RB. Unless anyone thinks Conner/Ridley/Touissant are gonna cut it.

Who said anything about Conner/Ridley/and Touissant being enough? Not me. I said that would need to be addressed in the draft.

What if they find a way to trade Bryant to a team for a safety or a draft pick that allows them to target another player in the draft? There are other possibilities. What if Earl Thomas is in play? You're probably not making that deal with Bell taking up $15 mil. It's well known that Thomas isn't happy and Seattle may be fielding offers. Would Thomas be an upgrade? Damn right he would.

I just don't limit myself with what I think is possible. With Ben being in for another couple runs, big things might actually happen with more bold moves by the organization.

IMO, RB and ILB are two of the easiest to identify in the draft and have an immediate impact in the NFL.

And again, don't dismiss all the roster cuts before the regular season. There will be talent available just like with Joe Haden.

I know they can restructure contracts, and if they do that....I'm OK with that and will support whatever the team decides. I'm just saying there are options that could be considered and should be considered by this team that they normally don't with a window clearly closing in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    It's not just the words. You get all that money to use on quality players to help the team. Then draft and try to find a standout RB for a fraction of the money and you have improved your team.

I won't be dancing around celebrating if the best RB in football isn't on the roster, but I understand where this team is right now, and how much help they need at other positions. $14 + million can bring in a ton of help at multiple positions.

Would you take a Kareem Hunt-type RB this year, while picking up a quality free agent pass rusher and safety with Bell's salary? It's entirely possible.

I just still believe there are ways to succeed without Bell. That's a huge amount of money to pay a non-quarterback, and a position that can be addressed successfully in the draft.
    That is exactly my point, until somebody starts putting names with the "quality players to help the team", it's all fantasy and pixie dust. We have everything we need to be successful on offense with Bell, question marks only without Bell. I understand your point about giving up something on the offense to gain something on the defense, and I'm in that boat with you. I just don't think that answer is Bell. We currently have 1 NFL caliber RB on this team. I would pay to not risk heading into next season with zero and hoping Conner becomes one. Or using a draft pick to hopefully draft what we already have. We already know this ILB corps and Safety group and most of our OLBs and that fun bunch of TEs are ALL worthy of getting cut and replaced this offseason. Why on Earth would we jump to getting rid of a guy who brings it each and every game and produces at an all-pro level? That move completely hamstrings this offense worse than any defense we face could ever do.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Who knows what Conner will become. I see lots of potential. That said, I go RB in the 2nd and use them as a 1-2 punch. Bell is not the best RB in th league. That belongs to Gurley. Not even close. Everything that went wrong this year needs cleaned up starting with Bell's holdout, which will be repeated if tagged. I'll be glad to see him go.

Here are the LBs set to be free agents -- http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/linebacker/. Anyone see anyone on that list that who says "playmaking ILB who can cover well in space?" I don't but I am willing to be swayed. Best "name" on the list is Bowman and he isn't covering well in the passing game anymore. You can certainly improve depth here, but that kind of cap room can be had without touching the Franchise tag $$ to Bell.

Here is the list of safeties -- http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/safety/. I see Burnett and Joyner as the big names on the list. Joyner a better fit than Burnett as he plays FS. Now assuming either of those guys hits the market (Joyner almost certainly won't), they are gonna go for 10-12 million per year. That can be gotten with Mike Mitchell cut and a restructure. So "keeping" Bell hasn't put you out of the bidding there.

Even if we look at a trade for Earl Thomas, he can be gotten without taking the Franchise Tag $$ off the table. Thomas costs $10.4 million against the cap this year (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-s...l-thomas-6523/). That's likely the same or less than Burnett or Joyner fetch on the open market. Again that $10 million can come from other places on the Steelers cap table. Where the hell the 1st round draft picks the 'Hawks would try and get is going to come from is not as clear...

This is all a super long winded way of saying that tagging Bell and then starting the off-season process (can always take it back...I think) gives the team a combination of flexibility and least roster holes to fill.

However, I'm not in charge and it may be possible that the Steelers just say "Screw it. This guy is a clown" and walk away. But I think that will be almost solely for character reasons rather than financial ones.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I would personally like to tag Bell then trade his ungrateful ass to the Browns (since it appears Haley is heading there) for another first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I would personally like to tag Bell then trade his ungrateful ass to the Browns (since it appears Haley is heading there) for another first round pick.
    The Browns have the cap space to give him $18 million/season.

And, they have a plethora of draft picks (1, 3, 33, 35).

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

As long as he got his money Bell wouldn’t mind going to the Browns.