Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Kiper has the Steelers taking a linebacker in the first round for the fifth time in the past six years.

Bryan DeArdo

"The big looming question for the Steelers is Ryan Shazier's future, and no one knows if he'll play again," Kiper wrote. "Even if he returns, though, the Steelers need depth at linebacker. Evans is versatile enough to play inside or outside, and he had 15 career sacks at Alabama, where he often played on the edge and blitzed. He is a perfect fit in the middle of a modern-day defense -- he can play every down."

Despite finishing in the top-5 in several NFL rankings, Pittsburgh's defense struggled without Shazier, allowing an average of 132 rushing yards per game after losing their Pro Bowl linebacker 13 weeks into the 2017 season.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...raft-113884271

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

I can dig it. Heck I don't mind if we spend our first 2 picks on inside backers. We really need help there. Matakevich couldn't even beat out Spence, which means our depth is just horrible as well. Lack of capable ILB depth ultimately might have done us in, there was a huge drop off from Shazier to Spence (All-pro to guy who been cut by the Colts and Titans in the same year)

I wanted to believe that Matakevich could have been a contributor beyond special teams, but that confidence is shot if Spence / Fort were options ahead of him. The guy has the smarts for football, but just lacks the talent for the big leagues. Probably may be good coaching material in the future though.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I can dig it. Heck I don't mind if we spend our first 2 picks on inside backers. We really need help there. Matakevich couldn't even beat out Spence, which means our depth is just horrible as well. Lack of capable ILB depth ultimately might have done us in, there was a huge drop off from Shazier to Spence (All-pro to guy who been cut by the Colts and Titans in the same year)

I wanted to believe that Matakevich could have been a contributor beyond special teams, but that confidence is shot if Spence / Fort were options ahead of him. The guy has the smarts for football, but just lacks the talent for the big leagues. Probably may be good coaching material in the future though.
    Matakevich was injured in the Bengals game (where Shazier was injured) and just had surgery. He was limited to special teams only since the Bengals game.

However, I agree with you. I'd like to see 2 ILBs taken or 1 in draft and 1 in free agency. The depth is weak.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Nah - Steelers can roll next season with the worst ILB in football

Spence was rated as the worst linebacker in the NFL by Pro Football Focus for this season, a 26.3 rating it classifies as “poor” and 88th among the 88 linebackers it graded (and 8.6 behind No. 87, Darron Lee). Spence had the worst run-defense PFF rating among linebackers and the fifth-worst coverage grade. The Steelers replaced him in obvious passing downs with L.J. Fort.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...rst-linebacker

Nobody could reasonably foresee Ryan Shazier's career was probably going to end this year, but with his injury history it was foreseeable he could miss significant time. Someone other than Spence and Butler gets the blame for the Steelers having no Plan B if Shazier missed significant time beyond signing someone sitting at home in December who the Colts released.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Spence was rated as the worst linebacker in the NFL by Pro Football Focus for this season, a 26.3 rating it classifies as “poor” and 88th among the 88 linebackers it graded (and 8.6 behind No. 87, Darron Lee). Spence had the worst run-defense PFF rating among linebackers and the fifth-worst coverage grade. The Steelers replaced him in obvious passing downs with L.J. Fort.

Nobody could reasonably foresee Ryan Shazier's career was probably going to end this year, but with his injury history it was foreseeable he could miss significant time.

Someone other than Spence and Butler gets the blame for the Steelers having no Plan B if Shazier missed significant time beyond signing someone sitting at home in December who the Colts released.
    So there were no possible scheme adjustments the Steelers could have made in the defense in the 2nd half to adjust for this problem?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    So there were no possible scheme adjustments the Steelers could have made in the defense in the 2nd half to adjust for this problem?
    Nope, the players didn't execute and Haley didn't adjust the defense. The untouchables, Tomlin & Butler couldn't do more, so they fired Haley.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As I posted elsewhere...

Jacksonville’s first drive. Fourth-&-goal. Spence diagnoses the play correctly. He is in the correct hole. He even makes contact with Fournette.

But... Spence simply isn’t very good.

If Shazier is in there, he stops Fournette. Instead, it’s a TD.

SOLUTION:
    A talent upgrade is needed at ILB (plus some depth).

Roquan Smith will NOT be there at 28. Tremaine Edmunds is likely gone by 28. Malik Jefferson has unGodly skills, but he will need a year of coaching. Leighton Vander Esch might be a reach at 28 (but, he’ll be gone by the time that we pick in R2).

RASHAAN EVANS:
    Interesting. The Steelers seem to actively avoid players from Alabama. Seriously... they rarely even interview them. Evans can play OLB & ILB (just like Watt can); so, it’d make for interesting defensive schemes. And, since we like to drop our LBs into coverage, he’s a good fit (because he’s adept at that).

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Nope, the players didn't execute and Haley didn't adjust the defense. The untouchables, Tomlin & Butler couldn't do more, so they fired Haley.
    Yep Butler is the problem and don't matter what talent you give him. The defense will still suck under him! That is okay lets plug a small hole in letting Haley go and not fix the gaping hole in the boat that is Butler. Just goes to show what Tomlin is about as well!

Took a gander at a couple of his highlight films. There are some things there are the positive side that remind me of Watt coming out of last year . . . he seems to have a football intelligence and know where the play's going. He also looks to have a motor that doesn't quit. I'm a little more hesitant on this next one as the tape somewhat lied about Watt (he was faster than his tape showed for some reason), but this kid looks fast. Even in slow motion, he shot through to plug up the hole in a couple of plays. And, I like his coverage skills on a couple of PDs.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Also very hard to get excited about any defense player in the draft. when you know Butler will still be in charged!

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Took a gander at a couple of his highlight films. There are some things there are the positive side that remind me of Watt coming out of last year . . . he seems to have a football intelligence and know where the play's going. He also looks to have a motor that doesn't quit. I'm a little more hesitant on this next one as the tape somewhat lied about Watt (he was faster than his tape showed for some reason), but this kid looks fast. Even in slow motion, he shot through to plug up the hole in a couple of plays. And, I like his coverage skills on a couple of PDs.

Fast and controlled, he looks good.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I don't pay attention to college football until the draft comes around. It took me 20 seconds of Evans highlights to realize he would be a complete steal at 28. He won't last past pick 15 IMO.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Nobody could reasonably foresee Ryan Shazier's career was probably going to end this year, but with his injury history it was foreseeable he could miss significant time. Someone other than Spence and Butler gets the blame for the Steelers having no Plan B if Shazier missed significant time beyond signing someone sitting at home in December who the Colts released.
    I didn't know that Darron Lee was playing that bad. I thought that he was going to be a good player. He has the speed and athleticism. I really haven't watched him much with the Jets.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    As I posted elsewhere...

Jacksonville’s first drive. Fourth-&-goal. Spence diagnoses the play correctly. He is in the correct hole. He even makes contact with Fournette.

But... Spence simply isn’t very good.

If Shazier is in there, he stops Fournette. Instead, it’s a TD.

SOLUTION:
    A talent upgrade is needed at ILB (plus some depth).

Roquan Smith will NOT be there at 28. Tremaine Edmunds is likely gone by 28. Malik Jefferson has unGodly skills, but he will need a year of coaching. Leighton Vander Esch might be a reach at 28 (but, he’ll be gone by the time that we pick in R2).

RASHAAN EVANS:
    Interesting. The Steelers seem to actively avoid players from Alabama. Seriously... they rarely even interview them. Evans can play OLB & ILB (just like Watt can); so, it’d make for interesting defensive schemes. And, since we like to drop our LBs into coverage, he’s a good fit (because he’s adept at that).
    Yep, watched the game with two very good friends, one a Ravens and the other a Redskins fan, (I’m sorry) both said we were missing Shazier.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Okay, I like it. Imagine having him, Watt and a healthy Shazier?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Okay, I like it. Imagine having him, Watt and a healthy Shazier?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They won’t take an ILB in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Free agent signing or same mindset as last year when they passed on DB until Sutton because JuJu was best available player?

ILB certainly looks like a need since the prognosis for Ryan Shazier returning is grim and I do not believe they see Matakevich as a long term starter rather than backup + ST asset

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Imagine if they had Hightower...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I can see them having a bit of interest in Jerome Baker from OSU. He played amazing late in the college season.

Projected to be a 2nd rounder.

Career numbers at OSU: 159 total tackles, 17.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 2 INT's. (He's a junior FYI)
    - - - Updated - - -

Imagine if they had Hightower...
    Not that good, also hurt.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

This guy is listed primarily as OLB... same as Shazier was by most draft sites back in '14. You never know what BPA is gonna be there, but you gotta figure LB, no matter what he's listed, will get consideration because of the glaring need.

And don't forget Tomlin's 1st draft... #1 Lawrence Timmons, ILB... listed as OLB. Just sayin'

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Yep Butler is the problem and don't matter what talent you give him. The defense will still suck under him! That is okay lets plug a small hole in letting Haley go and not fix the gaping hole in the boat that is Butler. Just goes to show what Tomlin is about as well!
    by Ed Bouchette

"There was some surprise no coaching change was forthcoming on defense, but if that were to occur, Tomlin might have to start with himself. He called many of the defensive plays from the sideline this season. He also took charge of many of the secondary meetings and those with the entire defense."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201801180124

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

The defense made a lot of improvements this year. Still think someone like Porter should be let go.

The front 7(including All-Pro Cam Heyward) just got punked against the Jags. Also, not having Shazier caught up to them.
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 01-19-2018 at 06:05 PM.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Is he any good or did he benefit more from having good defenders all around him?
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Is he any good or did he benefit more from having good defenders all around him?
    A quick look at his video showed his speed and ability to tackle well as well as having a nose for the ball/football intelligence. Of course, those could have been the only plays he ever showed that and thus, the reason they were put in the two videos I saw.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    That is a good question... and, one that has been asked for years about highly-loaded teams (‘Bama, Florida, Ohio St.).

Some ‘Bama players are the very reason that the Crinson Tide is good, and other players simply “look” good because they are surrounded by those aforementioned great players.

Figuring out which is which is the difficult part.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

This. I don't care if we have not enough talent on Defense, under no circumstances any NFL defense should allow 38 points to a Blake Bortles-led offense at home.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    That is a good question... and, one that has been asked for years about highly-loaded teams (‘Bama, Florida, Ohio St.).

Some ‘Bama players are the very reason that the Crinson Tide is good, and other players simply “look” good because they are surrounded by those aforementioned great players.

Figuring out which is which is the difficult part.
    As much as it gets trashed, this is where I think combine style measurables have a role. Tape doesn’t lie but it can warp the truth.

Remember, Jarvis Jones made a TON of plays for his college defense, but the measurables raised significant questions about his ability to do it at the NFL level.

On the other side of the coin, Dupree and Alonzo Jackson had/have all the measurables you could ever want but both struggled to translate that to NFL production.

I guess the “sweet spot” is TJ Watt or Shazier - a little from column a and a little from column b.

I honestly feel like the Steelers “know” how to project OL, DL, WR, RB, and maybe FB. They seem to struggle with what they want to look for at LB and DB. I mean I think that it is clear what attributes they are looking for in a draft prospect at those positions, but transitioning those guys to being productive NFL players has been more than a bit rocky for them in the past 5 years.

I worry that WR is going to slip out of the “trust us no matter what column” and into the “just as shaky as everyone else column”. It has been such an amazing advantage in the draft for many years now. They have not needed to take a guy that early to be almost assured of “average” at worst production.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Also very hard to get excited about any defense player in the draft. when you know Butler will still be in charged!
    I believe there are already threads for trashing coaches. This thread is about a different subject. Please stop trying to hijack every thread just because you are pissed off at Butler.

Back to this thread now...
    I'll take 2 of this. Evans looks fast, physical, smart, and has a way of just being around the football. Let's say we do draft this guy in the first, play him beside VW. We would still need to take a 2nd LB somewhere in this draft. We need upgrade/quality at OLB and ILB beyond this. I'm not counting anything toward a Shazier return until he's walking first.