Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Take a look at some game tape on Jerome Baker and let me know what you think. Try to look past the OSU connection.
    PRO:
    Baker has the speed to run sideline-to-sideline.

CON:
    He gets caught up in clusters/by blockers a heck of a lot.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Agreed. However in Matakevich's defense, he doesn't miss many tackles. Better 3-4 yard gains than a whiff and a 20 yard gain. Is that good enough? Not really, but you can't teach speed and Red simply doesn't have that. The fact that we had to bring in Spence is too telling. If the guys you have on roster are worse than a player at home, just doesn't make sense.
    What sucks for Matakevich is that when he finally got the chance to start, his shoulder got torn up.

Because, yes, Matakevich is a “catcher’s mitt” (I’m adopting that term), but that would have been an upgrade over Spence.

Shazier: tackle at LOS
    Big Red: tackle 3 yards downfield
    Spence: misses tackle completely

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I could be wrong but it seems to me that tackling hasn't been Shazier's natural part of playing the game. I believe he led the team in missed tackles since his rookie year.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I could be wrong but it seems to me that tackling hasn't been Shazier's natural part of playing the game. I believe he led the team in missed tackles since his rookie year.

Shazier was great at getting into the backfield, but he sure did miss a lot of tackles. Of course, missed tackles or not, he also created havoc and/or disrupted the timing between QB-&-WRs (which is a good thing).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I have nothing to base this on other than a "sense" - so I am likely wrong. BUT...I feel that Shazier was like Polamalu on the missed tackles front. Both guys missed a surprising amount of tackles. However, both guys played at a million miles an hour with their hair on fire, got to spots on the field that no other player could and put themselves in position to "miss" a tackle that no one else could even get to. Additionally, because of how fast both guys played, they were never going to be good at "breaking down" and form tackling a guy. Hard to do that at a dead sprint.

All that being said, Shazier also missed some "easy" tackles. Long story short, I was willing to overlook the missed tackles because of the number of plays per game he impacted that few other players in the league could.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

2018 NFL Mock Draft: Browns take Wyoming QB Josh Allen with top pick

Browns add Saquon Barkley with their second first-round pick

by Pete Prisco
    CBS Sports Senior Writer Feb 15, 2018

28. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia. When Ryan Shazier went down for the year, their defense suffered. With his future in doubt, they need to get a playmaking linebacker and Smith is that guy.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars
    Connor Williams, OT, Texas. They have to get better up front and Williams would give them tackle flexibility with second-year player Cam Robinson if they keep Jeremy Parnell at right tackle. Robinson has ability, but he struggled at times last season and could be moved to guard if they were to land a tackle or to the right side.

30. Minnesota Vikings
    Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame. They need to get better at right tackle and McGlinchey would do that. He played the left side at Notre Dame, but could easily move to the right side.

31. New England Patriots
    Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford. Their front seven needs upgrading in the worst way. Phillips is a smart player as an Academic All-American, and we know how Bill Belichick loves that about players. Might go a lot higher than this when all said and done.

32. Philadelphia Eagles
    Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama. He is a tough, nasty player who knows how to get to the football. The Eagles could be losing Nigel Bradham to free agency and Jordan Hicks is coming off a major injury.

to see full article and all selections:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...with-top-pick/

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Serious who cares what Mel says!! Has he ever predicted any Steeler draft pick that they actually picked ? None comes to mind to me ?. Say it every year and he is garbage but a big mouth that ESPN digs and Maylock is way better judging talent.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The more i look at this ILB class, the more I really like Rashaan Evans. He's fast enough to play sideline to sideline, can play as a cover ILB, has pass rushing tools from his games playing on the outside. He's a sound, solid, smart, physical tackler. Just an all around good football player. I like the comparison to Timmons, I think it fits. I think this guy fits who we need.

Senior Member Array title="Six Rings is a splendid one to behold">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Kiper has the Steelers taking a linebacker in the first round for the fifth time in the past six years.

Bryan DeArdo

"The big looming question for the Steelers is Ryan Shazier's future, and no one knows if he'll play again," Kiper wrote. "Even if he returns, though, the Steelers need depth at linebacker. Evans is versatile enough to play inside or outside, and he had 15 career sacks at Alabama, where he often played on the edge and blitzed. He is a perfect fit in the middle of a modern-day defense -- he can play every down."

Despite finishing in the top-5 in several NFL rankings, Pittsburgh's defense struggled without Shazier, allowing an average of 132 rushing yards per game after losing their Pro Bowl linebacker 13 weeks into the 2017 season.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...raft-113884271
    I like the pick. Evans a bit like a prime Timmons.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mike Mayock's 2018 NFL Draft position rankings

By Mike Mayock
    NFL Media draft analyst
    Published: Feb. 15, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ition-rankings

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Mike Mayock's 2018 NFL Draft position rankings

By Mike Mayock
    NFL Media draft analyst
    Published: Feb. 15, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ition-rankings
    As it pertains to this thread, the LB rankings seem to be consistent with most others I've seen.

The bigger surprise was how high he has TE Hurst, Dissly and S Jesse Bates. Although, Mayock seems to always covet one secondary guy more than most... usually a CB

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    As it pertains to this thread, the LB rankings seem to be consistent with most others I've seen.
    Linebacker

1. Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
    2. Roquan Smith, Georgia
    3. Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
    4. Rashaan Evans, Alabama
    5. Uchenna Nwosu, USC

I hadn't seen Vander Esch ranked ahead of Evans before...

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Linebacker

1. Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
    2. Roquan Smith, Georgia
    3. Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State
    4. Rashaan Evans, Alabama
    5. Uchenna Nwosu, USC

I hadn't seen Vander Esch ranked ahead of Evans before...
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC

To be fair, Mayock is mixing the ILB-OLB categories and adding the "Edge" rusher. Most places typically use the previous... even if that's not necessarily where they end up playing in the NFL.

2018 NFL Mock Draft

by Chris Trapasso
    CBSSports.com

28. Pittsburgh Steelers

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama. Evans is a big-hitting Alabama linebacker with impressive movement skills. He's precisely what the Steelers defense needs.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...s-with-eagles/

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Nothing is going to change in these mock drafts unless one of the prominent ILB prospects gets hit by a bus or murders someone. Connecting the Steelers to a draft prospect hasn't been this cut and dry since maybe Pouncey?

Additionally, these mock drafters have almost no inside knowledge of what teams are actually planning on doing and they have a success rate of somewhere just north of zero.

What's my point? Read and evaluate for yourselves, but assume the draft goes dramatically different than any of these guys projects - it almost always does.

Brugler Big Board: Nelson earns No. 1 spot

— By Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com —

–49. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama (6-2, 234, 4.73, 32)

A downhill, power linebacker for the Tide, Evans loves to mix it up with blockers, using his hands to tear through blockers. There are too many “almost” tackles and cover lapses on his tape, but his physicality fits any scheme.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/2018/02...rns-no-1-spot/

Brugler Big Board: Nelson earns No. 1 spot

— By Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com —

–49. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama (6-2, 234, 4.73, 32)

A downhill, power linebacker for the Tide, Evans loves to mix it up with blockers, using his hands to tear through blockers. There are too many “almost” tackles and cover lapses on his tape, but his physicality fits any scheme.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/2018/02...rns-no-1-spot/
    I don’t agree with Rashaan Evans being the 49th best player in this draft.

But, I do agree that Quenton Nelson is indeed the best overall player in this draft (at an unglamorous position).

looks like Brugler has moved Evans up from #49 overall to #26:

Brugler Big Board 2.0: Maryland’s Moore, Boise State’s Vander Esch rising

March 8, 2018, By Dane Brugler

–26. Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama (6-2, 232, 4.73)

A downhill, power linebacker for the Tide, Evans loves to mix it up with blockers, using his hands to tear through blockers. There are too many near tackles and cover lapses on his tape, but his physicality fits any scheme.

http://nfldraftscout.com/2018/03/08/...r-esch-rising/

Steelers select LB Rashaan Evans in Casserly's new Mock Draft

Evans is one of the top rated linebackers in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Bryan DeArdo - Apr 3, 2018

Rashaan Evans is the Pittsburgh Steelers' first round pick in Super Bowl winning General Manager Charley Casserly's new Mock Draft.

The 6'3, 234-pound Evans enjoyed a stellar senior season at Alabama, recording 74 tackles that included 13 tackles for loss. He also recorded 6.0 sacks while recording a forced and recovered fumble.

"Evans fills the biggest need on the team," Casserly wrote of Evans. "He's a highly instinctive player.

One of the top rated inside linebacker in this year's draft, Evans met with the Steelers during the 2018 NFL Combine. Evans also spoke with The Athletic's Mark Kaboly about playing in Pittsburgh while saying that he would welcome the opportunity to replace Ryan Shazier, who will not play in 2018.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Pittsburg...raft-116980688

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yep. Looking more likely every day that the pick is going to be Evans or maybe trade down and get Rudolph...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

James C Wexell
    @jimwexell

Steelers did in fact hope to trade up to draft Rashaan Evans.

26 Apr 2018

https://twitter.com/jimwexell/status/989707123645927424

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I really wanted this guy.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I really wanted this guy.

If they were going to pick an ILB not named Smith or Edmunds.....this is the guy I would have wanted.

He's just a terrific football player. Love how instinctive he is on the field, his leadership, and his tackling ability. He can cover and do everything you can ask of him at the position.

I wasn't worried about him not testing at the combine. Watch his tape. The kid knows how to play the position, and would instantaneously and instinctively go to the right spot or shoot a gap.