Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

We could pick up a FA ILB and then dirty red would back up VW and the FA would back up the draftee. Still need to replace Mitchell with a good FA, I am hoping Davis struggles had more to do with covering up for Mitchell than anything else.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The more that see & read about Evans, the more I’m convinced he should be long gone by 28.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Mel Kiper has Steelers drafting ILB Rashaan Evans in 1st Mock Draft

The fortunate thing is there are a lot of QBs and a lot of QB needy teams to push otherwise top 10 players down. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 6-7 QBs taken in the top ten this year.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    The fortunate thing is there are a lot of QBs and a lot of QB needy teams to push otherwise top 10 players down. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 6-7 QBs taken in the top ten this year.
    Born2Steel & I were discussing this very thing...

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...326#post633326

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The more that see & read about Evans, the more I’m convinced he should be long gone by 28.
    Exactly my thinking. A guy that can and run and hit like that at that size...There's no way he's there at 28. Maybe this is the year the Steelers trade up to get their guy. That's the only way I see Evans falling into our laps.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    Exactly my thinking. A guy that can and run and hit like that at that size...There's no way he's there at 28. Maybe this is the year the Steelers trade up to get their guy. That's the only way I see Evans falling into our laps.
    there's no way David DeCastro ever falls and is available for the Steelers to draft at # 24.

oh wait...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    there's no way David DeCastro ever falls and is available for the Steelers to draft at # 24.

oh wait...

Exactly! You never know who's going to fall to you.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

oh wait...
    Nor Jarvis Jones.

Oh... right.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Nor Jarvis Jones.

Oh... right.

I was so hoping someone would take him before the team was tempted to make that mistake........

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I was so hoping someone would take him before the team was tempted to make that mistake........
    He’s no Matt Elam...

He’s no Matt Elam...

Who is????

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

My #1 favorite part of offseason draft chatter is people bringing up 20 prospects that could never fall to us.

like dude. were picking 28th not 50th. it could happen, chill
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    My #1 favorite part of offseason draft chatter is people bringing up 20 prospects that could never fall to us.

Plus guys will get "reranked" about a dozen times between now and the draft.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Nor Jarvis Jones.

Oh... right.
    Where's Canada? Lol

Playing the semantics game... 20 players WILL indeed go before the 28th pick.

(27 to be exact.)

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

all it takes is a small scare and crazy things happen in the draft. Myles Jack was supposed to be a guaranteed top 5 pick, arguably the conversation for #1 overall and he falls to the 2nd round. David Decastro, easy top 10 pick, falls to #24.

Hell, sometimes, nothing needs to happen at all and people fall for no reason. Sharrif Floyd was going top 5 in every mock draft and he fell to #23 or #24 and nothing was wrong with him.

Prospects rising means other prospects are falling (that includes prospects whose stock is even)
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Where's Canada? Lol
    He’s writing over at TPOP (he got me in there). I text him every so often, mostly during games.

(NOTE: I text Buddha, Jon, & HAM daily... those dudes haven’t changed. LOL)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

all it takes is a small scare and crazy things happen in the draft. Myles Jack was supposed to be a guaranteed top 5 pick, arguably the conversation for #1 overall and he falls to the 2nd round. David Decastro, easy top 10 pick, falls to #24.

Hell, sometimes, nothing needs to happen at all and people fall for no reason. Sharrif Floyd was going top 5 in every mock draft and he fell to #23 or #24 and nothing was wrong with him.

Prospects rising means other prospects are falling (that includes prospects whose stock is even)
    I agree. Much of the Steelers first round success has been to take guys that "fall" for whatever reason.

Heath Miller was not projected to fall as far as he did. Injury (I think) scared teams away.
    Dupree (I know. I know.) was talked about going in the top 7-12 picks. He dropped.
    DeCastro.
    Mendenhall and Holmes were projected higher by more than one "expert".

Happens almost every time the team picks outside the top half of the first round. Their pick ends up being a guy who "fell" on day one.

He’s writing over at TPOP (he got me in there). I text him every so often, mostly during games.

Where are those guys?

I miss them bad. Some of the best dudes ever!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Missed getting "thumbs up" from HAM with every post I did at SF lol.

Glad to know they're okay. Haven't seen them post here or on another forum in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Where are those guys?

I miss them bad. Some of the best dudes ever!
    Buddha quit visiting message boards after he & I were asked to leave another Steelers forum.

HAM quit watching football altogether (one of the few to keep his promise) about two years ago.

Jon... is bathing with a dog somewhere.

And, yes, great people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Missed getting "thumbs up" from HAM with every post I did at SF lol.

Glad to know they're okay. Haven't seen them post here or on another forum in a while.
    (see above)

I get that.

I’m just not going to get my hopes up that somehow Minkah Fitzpatrick will be there at 28. Instead, I’m going to focus my attention on Justin Reid, Ronnie Harrison, and the other safeties with a much higher chance of actually being there at 28. (Make sense?)

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I get that.

I’m just not going to get my hopes up that somehow Minkah Fitzpatrick will be there at 28. Instead, I’m going to focus my attention on Justin Reid, Ronnie Harrison, and the other safeties with a much higher chance of actually being there at 28. (Make sense?)
    dude, you're giving away my mock draft:

1) Minkah Fitzpatrick S Alabama
    2) Josh Rosen QB UCLA
    3) Rashaan Evans S Alabama

Daniel Jeremiah's top 50 prospects for 2018 NFL Draft

By Daniel Jeremiah
    NFL Media analyst
    Jan. 26, 2018

RANK 27

Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama

Evans is a versatile, playmaking linebacker. He moved all over the field in the Alabama defense. He aligned off the ball in the middle of the defense, stood up outside and even occasionally put his hand in the ground as a defensive end in pass-rush situations. Against the run, he's a tick late to key/read, but once he makes up his mind, he closes in a hurry. He runs right through blockers and if he doesn't make the tackle, he creates a pileup to slow down the ball carrier. He has outstanding speed to range sideline to sideline. He will miss an occasional tackle in space because he rarely breaks down, instead looking for the big hit. In coverage, he can easily mirror tight ends and backs. He will even match up in the slot at times. He isn't a polished pass rusher, but he can win with pure speed and effort. Overall, Evans is a tone-setter on defense and his versatility is a huge asset.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...2018-nfl-draft

Three-round mock draft: Browns among 7 teams that pick QB

By Chad Reuter
    Draft analyst
    Published: Feb. 6, 2018 Updated: Feb. 13, 2018

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...s-that-pick-qb

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I would take Evans if there at 28. I hate locking in on one player this early and before the combine. So far, I see several LBs that I would like to see us draft somewhere in the 1st 3 rounds.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo has his full mock draft up for the Steelers

1. ILB Rashaan Evans of Alabama
    2. ILB Josey Jewell of Iowa

Yes, two inside linebackers with the first two picks. That’s how depleted this position is.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201802140045

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo has his full mock draft up for the Steelers

1. ILB Rashaan Evans of Alabama
    2. ILB Josey Jewell of Iowa

Yes, two inside linebackers with the first two picks. That’s how depleted this position is.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201802140045

If those 2 were available at those picks, I would certainly consider it. Everything depends on who's there at the pick like always. I agree 100%, the ILB position is that thin right now. Who on this roster is a sideline to sideline ILB? We have VW, Fort, and Matakevich who are darn good tackle to tackle ILBs. So unless we plan on running some sort of 3-3-5 defense, we must grab at least 1 ILB that has traits similar to Shazier. Take a look at some game tape on Jerome Baker and let me know what you think. Try to look past the OSU connection.

I think that the Steelers could justify double dipping in the draft at the position, but suspect it will be early + later rather than back to back.

Honestly, I'm not certain that any inside linebacker other than VW belongs on an NFL roster at this point. Matakevich is a great special teams player and really good at making tackles 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. Fort and Spence just look over-matched. Although to be entirely fair, I have no idea why they didn't give Fort a bit more playing time...couldn't have been worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think that the Steelers could justify double dipping in the draft at the position, but suspect it will be early + later rather than back to back.

Honestly, I'm not certain that any inside linebacker other than VW belongs on an NFL roster at this point. Matakevich is a great special teams player and really good at making tackles 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. Fort and Spence just look over-matched. Although to be entirely fair, I have no idea why they didn't give Fort a bit more playing time...couldn't have been worse!
    Agreed. However in Matakevich's defense, he doesn't miss many tackles. Better 3-4 yard gains than a whiff and a 20 yard gain. Is that good enough? Not really, but you can't teach speed and Red simply doesn't have that. The fact that we had to bring in Spence is too telling. If the guys you have on roster are worse than a player at home, just doesn't make sense.