Thread: No Offseason FA Are Coming This Year

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

No Offseason FA Are Coming This Year

The Pittsburgh Steelers currently project far over the salary cap: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01...k-projections/

"...as being $36,274,475 over the projected 2018 $178 million salary cap number."

To get under the article discusses multiple significant restructures and cuts that can free up about $45 million in room. Not sure what the long term implications of those would be, but it wasn't pretty the last time they did that!

So, at present, this projection makes me think that a FA MLB or FS is not riding in on their white horse to save the 2018 roster. Draft or bust?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: No Offseason FA Are Coming This Year

This brings up a question I asked in a different thread. I was listening to 'the Daves' and they brought up this question.

Would you trade Bryant if the Steelers could get a 3rd or 4th round draft pick for him, in the 2018 draft? To me, this is a very intriguing thought. One that deserves some discussion and debate, IMO.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This brings up a question I asked in a different thread. I was listening to 'the Daves' and they brought up this question.

Would you trade Bryant if the Steelers could get a 3rd or 4th round draft pick for him, in the 2018 draft? To me, this is a very intriguing thought. One that deserves some discussion and debate, IMO.
    I wouldn't. Bryant is playing much better lately and he's someone who can help us right now. Considering that the window for a championship is closing soon, we need all hands on deck as much as possible right now. And I don't think a 3rd-4th round pick can come in and contribute at the level Bryant can.

The rookie wall is real, look how TJ and Juju disappeared in the postseason. I didn't hear Sutton's name called at all. Not a knock on them, I think all 3 will be great players. However, we know Bryant can and will give you production in the postseason, and we need that. Right now. If Roethlisberger was retiring and we needed to rebuild the team, maybe I'd be on board with that idea, but that's not the case.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

You're lucky to get a 7th for Bryant. He's one missed drug test from being out of the league.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    You're lucky to get a 7th for Bryant. He's one missed drug test from being out of the league.
    Plus Bryant is still on a rookie contract so he's a bargain right now.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I wouldn't because you would have to turn right around and use that pick on a WR. So what do you gain?

Without Bryant the Steelers would have:

AB
    Juju
    Rogers
    DHB

They usually carry 6 WRs. So now you have to go and get at least 2. Maybe 3 if you cut DHB. That is a ton of unnecessary turnover. Plus who are they bringing in off the street or with a 3rd or 4th round draft pick that has Bryant's ability/potential and costs like 750K a season?

I struggle to see the cost/benefit upside of moving Bryant. Sure their is the drug suspension risk, but what are you gonna do?

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Plus Bryant is still on a rookie contract so he's a bargain right now.
    Yes, on both points. There's no reason to trade Bryant right now.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I guess I'm looking at from, does MB bring enough to the table to keep (VS) going after a defensive rookie in the draft at a position of greater need? In other words, the trade COULD yield a 3rd/4th round ILB/safety/hybrid, and push picking up another WR to the later rounds. It would open up the draft choices we can make in the early rounds a bit wider. I guess my POV is purely from help or hinder as far as the draft.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I guess I'm looking at from, does MB bring enough to the table to keep (VS) going after a defensive rookie in the draft at a position of greater need? In other words, the trade COULD yield a 3rd/4th round ILB/safety/hybrid, and push picking up another WR to the later rounds. It would open up the draft choices we can make in the early rounds a bit wider. I guess my POV is purely from help or hinder as far as the draft.
    I think that you're way overestimating what we could get for Bryant in a trade. Think of it more like a 6th-7th round pick. Is a 6th-7th round pick going to help this team in the coming season? Most likely not. Will Bryant help? Yes, as long as he doesn't get suspended again.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I think that you're way overestimating what we could get for Bryant in a trade. Think of it more like a 6th-7th round pick. Is a 6th-7th round pick going to help this team in the coming season? Most likely not. Will Bryant help? Yes, as long as he doesn't get suspended again.
    Maybe. I was actually asking the question as it was discussed on 'The Terrible Podcast'. That's where the 3rd/4th round came from. I would have no idea his value in trade.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Getting Bell signed to a non-franchise tag deal would go a long way toward helping this, but we'll see how much of an idiot he wants to be about it.

$9 million for Shazier without having a player hurts a lot. I wonder if it's legal to sign him to a multi-year contract just to spread that out? I'm assuming he's never playing again.

Trading Bryant makes no sense at all, don't know why anyone is even talking about that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

What happens if Shazier retires? Would his cap hit come off the books? It should.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    What happens if Shazier retires? Would his cap hit come off the books? It should.
    Assuming a retirement is the same as a release or trade - the Steelers have no cap liability if Shazier is not rostered in 2018.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...shazier-14424/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Retirement IIRC is the same as being released, in that any spread-out bonus money accelerates into that current year.

Shazier has no bonus money, but where it gets hairy is that the fifth-year option for first-round draft picks is fully guaranteed in case of injury. So as far as I can tell, he's on the books for the full $9M.

Normally this offseason would be the time when they sign him to a long-term extension, they wouldn't keep him on a 1-year deal at a high cap hit. But that all kind of got messed up.

I guess what I'm wondering is, could you technically convert that into something like a 4-year league-minimum contract with a $7 million signing bonus or something, so he still gets his money and we don't get forked over next year. Then if by some miracle he returned we'd work out a new deal.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

So we pretty much have an extra $9 million in dead money. Welp, that really throws a wrench on things. Its like Woodley hamstringing the salary cap all over again, except Shazier's situation is a freak accident and not due to laziness
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Trade Bryant for Von Miller and call it an off-season.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    So we pretty much have an extra $9 million in dead money. Welp, that really throws a wrench on things. Its like Woodley hamstringing the salary cap all over again, except Shazier's situation is a freak accident and not due to laziness
    He will be out there Week one. He will be running by April!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Dare to dream. I wish I had your confidence
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I really hope not (be out there in week one). I just have this visceral reaction to the idea of seeing him on the field again. Perhaps, it's because I feel like I'm going to be holding my breath on every play hoping that he doesn't end up permanently paralyzed after making it back to walking. Obviously, it's his choice and the Docs know a whole lot more than I do about this. If they give the okay, then they give the okay. But I don't know . . . something just sets wrong with me thinking about him on the field again. Does that make sense? I don't know if I'm explaining myself well enough.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I really hope not (be out there in week one). I just have this visceral reaction to the idea of seeing him on the field again. Perhaps, it's because I feel like I'm going to be holding my breath on every play hoping that he doesn't end up permanently paralyzed after making it back to walking. Obviously, it's his choice and the Docs know a whole lot more than I do about this. If they give the okay, then they give the okay. But I don't know . . . something just sets wrong with me thinking about him on the field again. Does that make sense? I don't know if I'm explaining myself well enough.
    Makes sense. I’m trying to be positive...or in denial...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Trade Bryant for Von Miller and call it an off-season.
    Pffft... dumb trade.

Martavis Bryant to the Texans for Deshaun Watson... and their R4 pick.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I get you and just want Ryan to have a healthy life beyond football too. Of course he is a talent we can use but this is just a game. I personally hope he retires even if he is told he is go to go by the docs. If he though decides to play I'm glad it will be for us.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Makes perfect sense. I'm with you on this one. I don't want to see back on the field. I would be afraid for him on every tackle

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Tag Bell, then work out a long term deal and trade him for a king's ransom - Herschel Walker it. We've got the best O-line coach and the best RB coach in the league, that plus bringing back Vance and we'll be fine. There's your cap space and your way to invest more in the defense.