Thread: Who's your solution?

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Who's your solution?

Well Haley is out. Some of us like the idea, some don't, some are indifferent. I think his play calling is weak but I think as a whole he accomplished what he was hired for...keeping our franchise QB from getting bludgeoned repeatedly. That being said, I think all of us agree the big problem isn't the offense, but the other side of the ball where we simply aren't getting it done regardless of what the seasons stats look like. Weak tackling, giving up big plays, laughable run defense. None of us think Butler is the guy. Many of us hoped he would take what was good from Lebeau's system and make adjustments to improve it's weaknesses. Unfortunately, the only real difference we've seen is more emphasis on the D line being our primary QB rushers.

If Tomlin grows a set and pulls the plug on Butler, who should he replace him with? Who's available that would fit the bill?

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Re: Who's your solution?

I'm afraid replacing Butler won't help. I think we've got a bunch of selfish underachievers on the defensive side of the ball.
    Guys looking for the big hit instead of making a tackle, guys not holding their gap so a teammate can clean up the tackle, guys not hustling to be the 2nd guy in to finish off the tackle or strip the ball. Shazier seemed to be holding this ragtag bunch together a bit, once he was gone his absence was felt.
    I expected big steps to be taken from Burns and Davis who both had admirable rookie years, instead I saw regression in year 2.
    I expected Dupree to finally do something and he didn't.
    I never expect much from Mitchell and he lived up to it.
    Vince Williams is serviceable.
    Heyward and Tuitt and both solid, but the middle needs to be fortified.
    Watt should be good and Shazier is great, but we may never see him on the field again.
    I don't see this D being able to turn it around quick enough, while we still have the O in tact.
    Bell, Brown, Ben will all likely be gone in 4 years.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

oh please, we can upgrade Mitchell or replace Shazier with a quality FA. Hargrave was very good in the middle, but he had a back injury for this game. Our DL is solid, our CB play is solid. Watt will be great and as you said VW is fine. We need to replace Mitchell, Shazier and Dupree. You don't think we can do that in less than 4 years? We can do it in 1. FA Safeties are deep this year = Mitchell replaced. QB is deep in the draft this year, so that means a top ILB or OLB will drop to us in the first and there will be a good one in the second. All three positions taken care of. If it were me, I would use the first pick on ILB and the second on OLB cause Dupree is here for at least one more year and we can work in the 2nd rnd pick and hopefully have him starting by the end of the season. ILB we need someone who can come in sooner and play well.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I don't know all the people Tomlin knows that would even be on his "Replace Butler" list. I liked the replace Porter with Kevin Green idea from last offseason, and I still think that could be a positive move for this defense, even though I think personnel is the blame for most of the LB issues. I'm not sure if I like Lake as DBs coach or not, because I think our CBs improved as a group, but I think our safeties regressed a bit. I love what our Dline was able to do this season. I'm just not sure if a complete defensive do-over is needed, or just better players. I know we need better players, just don't know if that's enough or not.