Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Fichtner expected to be promoted to OC

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Randy Fichtner expected to be promoted to OC

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

I was going to say until the 2nd preseason game. He is gonna get the "underdog love" from Steeler fans, just like Shamarko Thomas, Josh Dobbs, Demarcus Ayers got, so the majority will be giving him some slack. But, you may be right.....first time the Steelers don't put up 30 points in a preseason, or they lose to Carolina in a preseason game the thread should start.
    If no QB sneak (in Preseason) on the first 4th and 1, Steeler Nation will riot.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Randy Fichtner promoted to OC

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Now get Bryon Leftwich as the QB coach.
    If you’re going there, Batch would be a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I know off-topic here, but I think Batch would have been a star in the league if he wasn't so injury prone. Only thing holding him back from a starting job elsewhere was he couldn't last an entire season

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Based on what?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...b-4352e7b8739d

Fichtner named offensive coordinator/QB coach

No need for a QB coach. Grandma can do both jobs!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Should I start the Fire Fichtner thread?
    "He's going to inherit a stacked offense. There's Roethlisberger, who already has put retirement rumors to rest. There's Le'Veon Bell (assuming he doesn't retire), who might be the most complete back in football. There's Antonio Brown, who might wind up being a top-five all-time receiver. And then there's JuJu Smith-Schuster, who looks like a worthy receiver to play opposite of Brown. The Steelers have been a top-10 scoring offense in each of the past four seasons.

That also means, of course, that expectations will be high. The Steelers recently fired their offensive coordinator after a season in which their offense ranked eighth in points scored, third in yards, and third in DVOA. Haley lost his job even though his offense scored 42 points against a great Jaguars defense.

The point being, if Fichtner struggles even remotely, it won't take long for fans to call for his head."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...bbies-for-him/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Based on what?
    Based on his time as a player/“coach” during 2010-12. He had very little skills at that stage of his career and he was a very good football head to have on the sidelines with Ben at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    I know off-topic here, but I think Batch would have been a star in the league if he wasn't so injury prone. Only thing holding him back from a starting job elsewhere was he couldn't last an entire season
    Did you watch him play in Detroit? He was an INT machine.

Never starter material, always destined to hold a clipboard.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    they would still have to put him on IR after he hurts himself coaching in practice...
    QB Coach Byron Leftwich, sprained mouth, is questionable for Sunday.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    QB Coach Byron Leftwich, sprained mouth, is questionable for Sunday.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Did you watch him play in Detroit? He was an INT machine.

Never starter material, always destined to hold a clipboard.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Chaz's stats as a starter are...Bortles esquee.

I mean I like Charlie and all but he wasn't very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I mean I like Charlie and all but he wasn't very good.

well said.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I, like most of you here, am not surprised by this move. Heck a bunch of us were calling this move about 7 weeks ago. The writing was on the wall for Mr. Haley and his little skirmish on New Year's Eve sealed the deal in my opinion. Just goes to show that no matter how good you are at your job if you can't get along with your co-workers, it's just a matter of time before your ass hits the pavement.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    That was my one caveat to stating I hoped we didn't drop Haley so we could focus on getting a better DC. Since this search looks like it took all of six hours or so, I'm good with it. Still think Haley was scapegoated a little, but I'm interested to see what this offense can do now.
    With comments like "I call the plays sent in" by Ben and running that outside run on 4th and inches just outside the 20, I'd say Ben was trying to prove a point about Haley and his play calling.

- - - Updated - - -

By not changing an idiot play to something that might work.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    With comments like "I call the plays sent in" by Ben and running that outside run on 4th and inches just outside the 20, I'd say Ben was trying to prove a point about Haley and his play calling.

- - - Updated - - -

By not changing an idiot play to something that might work.
    I don't think Ben would be as petty as that. It isn't a given that you make it to the playoffs in any given year, let alone the SB. And then, you still have to win it. Ben doesn't have many years left. Pretty much the only QB records he doesn't own for the Steelers concern Superbowls. I doubt he'd throw away a drive just to prove a point. Preseason? Absolutely. First few games of a season? Maybe, but probably not. Playoffs? Absolutely not.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

FITCHNER: First of all, gents, we are scrapping all of the bubble screens.

BRYANT: Yeah, but that is like 90% of the plays that came my way...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

FITCHNER: First of all, gents, we are scrapping all of the bubble screens.
    Maybe not

Fichtner has already talked to several Steelers players about some tweaks to the offense. Roethlisberger gave a few hints Wednesday about what those tweaks might be, including going back to some things that were successful when Bruce Arians coordinated the offense from 2007-11.

There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201801240126

Oh good - back to seven step dropbacks and 50 sacks per year

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Maybe not

Fichtner has already talked to several Steelers players about some tweaks to the offense. Roethlisberger gave a few hints Wednesday about what those tweaks might be, including going back to some things that were successful when Bruce Arians coordinated the offense from 2007-11.

There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds.

At least he said they are going back to some things that were successful when Arians was here!

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    At least he said they are going back to some things that were successful when Arians was here!

That does not include Rosey Nix then...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

That does not include Rosey Nix then...
    Rosey made the ProBowl.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    And shade throwing, bearded Ben now happy, clean shaven Ben

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Please shitcan the stupid reverses that NEVER WORK...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Maybe not

3rd-&-inches... 5 wide, 7-step drop, all go routes!!!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Please shitcan the stupid reverses that NEVER WORK...

That's what Bryant said.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Maybe not

“There might be some stuff that would go back to what we had with the B.A. system,” Roethlisberger said “Just tweak a couple of things, nothing drastic. We’ll go back to some things. I think we’ll take the best of both worlds.

In all fairness, the OL and the coaching of the OL is just a tad bit better now than it was during Arians' tenure. Roethlisberger continued to get clobbered on a regular basis for the first 2 seasons of Haley's tenure as well:

Posted by Darin Gantt on November 1, 2013, 8:29 AM EST

The schemes have changed, but the beatings have remained the same for Ben Roethlisberger.

Actually, they’ve gotten worse.

The Steelers quarterback is getting sacked at a higher rate than when he was playing under coordinator Bruce Arians, who was criticized for not sufficiently protecting the investment.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the 26 sacks Roethlisberger has absorbed so far puts him on pace for 59, well beyond his career-high of 50 — if he makes it that long.
    Ben Roethlisberger taking hits at record rates

It's no coincidence that the pass protection got quite a bit better after Munchak was hired prior to the 2014 season.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    3rd-&-inches... 5 wide, 7-step drop, all go routes!!!
    As opposed to all the idiotic empty sets with goal-to-go inside the 5-yard line...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    As opposed to all the idiotic empty sets with goal-to-go inside the 5-yard line...
    Pffft... duh. Goal-to-go situations are never a the place for a running back. That’s double-reverse territory ALL the way.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

How much does anyone want to bet that somewhere, Crash is over the moon telling everyone how right he was about football.