Thread: Offseason starting off great!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Offseason starting off great!

I know we are all still shocked and disappointed by the loss to Jax that put us into the offseason earlier than we anticipated. BUT...Ben has decided to stay, and says he wants to play even after this contract. Munch had his offers and decided to stay with the Steelers. Haley, and his pitch sweep to the short side on 4th and 1, has been shown the door. AND this is just in the first 3 days of post season.

After Sunday, I don't think any series of events could have cheered me up more. (Football-wise)

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Offseason starting off great!

Mojouw’s official theory is as follows:
    1. Haley can coordinate a good to great offense.
    2. Haley is an abrasive ass who can not get along with others.
    3. Haley was let go in order to assure that Ben, Munch, and Fichtner stay.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that I think Haley being let go is more an indictment of Todd Haley the person than Todd Haley the Offensive Coordinator.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that I think Haley being let go is more an indictment of Todd Haley the person than Todd Haley the Offensive Coordinator.
    Be that as it may...I'm just glad he's gone. I get to keep my QB, and my 2 best position coaches that aren't retiring.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Haley going was a good idea, but Haley's exit will be negated if the much needed defensive coaching staff purge doesn't occur

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Of course part of the job requires getting along with others in the organization unless you own (AJR II) or are an indispensable part of (franchise QBs, Belichick) the organization, which Todd was not.

Todd's benefits (reworking the offense to keep Ben in the league past his early 30s) eventually were outweighed by his shortcomings as a play caller and inability to get along with others on and off the field.

And eventually the clout of those who disliked him outweighed that of those who could tolerate him

As the great Yankees manager Casey Stengel put it

The secret of successful managing is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the four guys who haven't made up their minds

http://www.wiseoldsayings.com/author...tengel-quotes/

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Now we just need a decent DC.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Be that as it may...I'm just glad he's gone. I get to keep my QB, and my 2 best position coaches that aren't retiring.
    Oh, for sure. I just don't think there will actually be a wholesale change in scheme or approach on offense. I think that assurances were given to Ben, Munch, and Randy F that Haley was going out the door even if this team won the SB.

Haley is just one of those guys that you can only have around for so long because everyone hates him eventually.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

It's ridiculous that Ben wasn't allowed to audible out of a play.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    According to Team Ben

Todd was glad to spread the blame for the end of the Pats game cluster when he still was with the organization - getting his story out might even be necessary if he wants to work somewhere next season rather than allow others to portray him as the abrasive SOB who could not properly coordinate the most talented offensive roster in the league (of course there is factual support for that image )

Todd’s version of events will be coming soon enough

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Imagine if Ben goes rogue and ignores that. What are they going to do? Cut him?

Honestly, that makes more sense than anything else. Haley pretty much did everything that was asked of him when he got here. He's kept Ben upright through faster passing and less sacks, and he's seen the run game improve tremendously from what it was before he came. So, all-in-all, he had a successful run here, which makes his nonrenewed contract suspicious. Personality issues and conflict within the organization makes the most sense.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Imagine if Ben goes rogue and ignores that. What are they going to do? Cut him?
    That’s what I said. If he just sneaks the ball to convert a first down, it’s not like they’ll bench him. In that Jags game, it was two perfect opportunities to pull out the sneak...For the last few seasons, Ben has come to the line of scrimmage and tried to pull the team offsides most of the time unsuccessful...if they would’ve done that again and then just snuck it on second try, they probably would’ve gotten it because all the defenses are basically just in formation expecting the timeout before the clock runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

This offseason isn't truly perfect until Keith Butler and the Defensive coaches are purged.

They've been handed talent and have nothing to show for it but being shredded in a home playoff game by Blake Bortles.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Danny Smith ... AXE!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler