Thread: Are We Sure We Are Assigning Blame Properly?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Are We Sure We Are Assigning Blame Properly?

Apologies if this should be posted in another thread. If so, delete or move as needed.

Take a look at the GIF of the second failed 4th down call. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01...came-sideline/

Watch Eli Rogers. Looks NFL open to me. Did Ben miss him? Did Ben see the hold on JuJu and put the throw there to highlight it for the officials and it didn't get called? Did Ben do that thing he does where he passes on taking the short conversion throw and tries for something bigger down the field?

I get that a sneak is a higher % call in the situation and that is not really the question I am attempting to discuss with this post - although I suspect that is what this will turn into. Additionally, I am by no means saying that the loss or whatnot is "On" Ben R. He played a great game. Just wanted to highlight that the more I see and read and watch about this game, the more I realize that the initial reactions and conclusions are not totally holding up.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Are We Sure We Are Assigning Blame Properly?

I don't think picking the game apart play by play will solve anything either. Players make plays, and players miss plays. Like you said, Ben played a heck of a game. Did he miss some higher percentage throws? Probably, but he made a lot more plays than he missed. The problem for me is those 4th down plays should never have been called in the first place. We have one of the best power run games when we use it. I don't care if the defense knows exactly what and where, they cannot stop us on 4th and 1 or 2, with our jumbo package. Haley looked like he wanted some sort of element of surprise, and the plays failed. NOBODY runs a toss sweep on 4th and 1. That is a stupid play call, especially against the Jags defense. As soon as it happened, I walked away, didn't even have to see the result. Same on the 4th down play when we went pass. That is the strength of the Jags defense. Makes zero sense to call a pass play when we can move the ball 2 yards on anyone, at any given time. Just get the first down, move the chains, and live to make another play. Have to consider that if the play fails, it puts our struggling defense back out there too. It's not just a missed first down. No, I think this game falls squarely on offensive play calling, and a defense that simply got man-handled. Ben, AB, Bell, and our OLine, made plays and got us 42 points, despite horrible play calling.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Going on that play alone, I don’t think anyone was to blame there. Ben made a good decision to throw to Schuster because he was open and the play was defended by A hold call to start. There should’ve been a flag there. I wouldn’t say the execution of the play is anywhere to put blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

The blame falls squarely on a defense that surrendered 38 points to one of the most anemic offenses in the league.

We lost by 3 points, but failed to make a single stop in the red zone. Not one. Had we forced a field goal on even one of those drives, the outcome could have been entirely different. Unfortunately, it was a major shit show by the defense.

Yes maybe if we QB sneaked with 4th and a foot, if Tomlin decided to not onside kick (And trust a defense that showed absolutely nothing, other than showing a total failure to stop the Jaguars for almost 58 minutes), things could have been different. But bottom line, you don't surrender 38 points at home. If they defense dedicated this game to shazier then they really did him a disservice. It was nothing short of a pitiful performance. Pitiful.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

No question Ben should have hit Eli Rogers on the check down. Ju Ju was pretty well blanketed. That said Ju Ju had the ball hit him in both hands. Wasn't an easy catch but it's one that could have and should have been made. Also inexcusable job by the ref to miss that obvious hold. If that call is made the entire tenor of the game changes. Steelers would have been excellent position to score with the yards and a new set of downs. 28- 28 or even 28-24 and the ending could have been a lot more favorable.

Another inexcusable missed call was when Ben was slung down long after getting rid of the ball. The way he was slung down could have been roughing even if he still had the ball. The ref was right there looking. But swallowed his flag.

One other egregious missed call was the illegal motion that they ignored on the Jaguars.

Did any bad or missed calls go our way? Not bitching, but seriously those things usually either even out of slightly favor the home team. In this game we seemed on the short end of too many critical call and non calls in my opinion. It sucks.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    No question Ben should have hit Eli Rogers on the check down. Ju Ju was pretty well blanketed. That said Ju Ju had the ball hit him in both hands. Wasn't an easy catch but it's one that could have and should have been made. Also inexcusable job by the ref to miss that obvious hold. If that call is made the entire tenor of the game changes. Steelers would have been excellent position to score with the yards and a new set of downs. 28- 28 or even 28-24 and the ending could have been a lot more favorable.

Another inexcusable missed call was when Ben was slung down long after getting rid of the ball. The way he was slung down could have been roughing even if he still had the ball. The ref was right there looking. But swallowed his flag.

One other egregious missed call was the illegal motion that they ignored on the Jaguars.

Did any bad or missed calls go our way? Not bitching, but seriously those things usually either even out of slightly favor the home team. In this game we seemed on the short end of too many critical call and non calls in my opinion. It sucks.
    Our receivers got away with several push-offs and Brown got away with an arm bar at least once. As I said in another thread, in all honesty, this is what I'd want to see refs doing the entire season. Granted, the only call I might question is Ben going down. However, in hindsight, the player had no way of knowing Ben didn't have the ball so I'm okay with the ref swallowing the whistle on that one as well.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I have no problem with shelving the QB sneaks. I have the gut feeling that Ben is on the concussion count down.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Our receivers got away with several push-offs and Brown got away with an arm bar at least once. As I said in another thread, in all honesty, this is what I'd want to see refs doing the entire season. Granted, the only call I might question is Ben going down. However, in hindsight, the player had no way of knowing Ben didn't have the ball so I'm okay with the ref swallowing the whistle on that one as well.
    The tackle of Ben is marginal penalty even if he had the ball. . I don't mind refs eating the whistle if they do it evenly and allow both teams to take advantage. I'm not sure our guys take advantage. Seems I see teams like the jags doing some serious run holding and some how our defense gets called for a hold on the line. Are you serious. Refs are.total crap shoot from week to week. Only consistent thing they do is favor Tom Brady

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I have no problem with shelving the QB sneaks. I have the gut feeling that Ben is on the concussion count down.
    I have read another theory this week (Dale Lolley in DK Sports - paywalled) that his knees are shot, as exhibited by his dancing bear scrambles when he crosses the line of scrimmage, which makes it difficult for Ben to get any push and raises coaches' concerns they do not want his legs in the scrum

For a total FU if Haley gets canned the Steelers should run a QB sneak for their first play from scrimmage next opening day