Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Bud Dupree a bust?

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

Is Bud Dupree a bust?

This guy seemed invisible this year. Stats say he had more tackles and sacks than any year in his career, but his 3 years has been disappointing to me. He's got 1 more year left, then a 5th year option. If we get more of the same is he going the way of Jarvis Jones?

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Is Bud Dupree a bust?

Someone else gets the credit for posting Dud Dupree.

He always seems out of the play or arrives too late to make a play.

As far as developing into an impact player, it's not looking too good for him.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

As of now yes. This team needed him to break out into a top tier pass rusher and overall force on defense, and instead he spent the entire year getting completely pushed out of the play. I wouldn't even pick up his 5th year option at this point

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

He's not as bad as Jarvis Jones, but he's still a major disappointment.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Not according to Chuck Smith...

I keep hoping that it’s just his shoulder. But, for four seasons, I’ve been hoping he’d develop a counter move.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

At least Jarvis didn't have the physical tools and would even light someone up every blue moon. Bud is a complete waste of physical tools

He made a few plays here and there, but not enough for the cost of a first round pick four years into his career. I wouldn't call him a bust since he's still serviceable. To me, a bust is a player that shouldn't even make the roster after their third or fourth year.

As far as his shoulder, we heard about that early in the season. Maybe it was a season-long issue. Maybe not. All I know is that he better light it up in camp next summer or he may not be seeing the field, or even the locker room. On a different note, the Steelers are 2-4 on first round linebackers. Not a bad record at all. I know some want to see them be 3-4 or even 4-4, but 2-4, statistically for NFL 1st round picks, is still good.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

What's he have 2 years left on his contract? Let him play it out and see where he is, I'd still consider moving him inside if there is a stud OLB available in the draft. He's got to be better than Spence.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    What's he have 2 years left on his contract? Let him play it out and see where he is, I'd still consider moving him inside if there is a stud OLB available in the draft. He's got to be better than Spence.
    Very true. At 269 pounds, he ran an 4.56 40 at his pro-day. There's no reason to suspect he's dropped any speed. So, if he dropped twenty pounds, he'd easily still be one of the heaviest ILBs in the NFL, but he might dip into the 4.4s. Add some coverage skills to that and who knows, we might have our answer for defending against TEs.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Very true. At 269 pounds, he ran an 4.56 40 at his pro-day. There's no reason to suspect he's dropped any speed. So, if he dropped twenty pounds, he'd easily still be one of the heaviest ILBs in the NFL, but he might dip into the 4.4s. Add some coverage skills to that and who knows, we might have our answer for defending against TEs.
    Is Dupree even an average OLB?

To have such good measurables and play so poorly I would imagine he either lacks motivation, lacks football intelligence or has poor / slow instincts & reaction time.

The one reason it may make sense to put him in at ILB is that by knowing both positions he should be more aware in general of what is going on on the field which may improve his play and also make him more valuable as a backup if is serviceable at two positions.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    This guy seemed invisible this year. Stats say he had more tackles and sacks than any year in his career, but his 3 years has been disappointing to me. He's got 1 more year left, then a 5th year option. If we get more of the same is he going the way of Jarvis Jones?
    We can't answer that question only the Jags offensive line can since he's their bitch.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

He can't be because coaches are never wrong. He is also in coverage 75% of the time. He has a sore shoulder. You can't expect a LB to adapt to the NFL in only 3 years. According to some on this board he is the Steelers best OLB.

Didn't you like how he was tossed aside when setting the edge? That's pure skill.

Don't forget, it doesn't matter if he ever pressures the QB because the other 10 guys can get the sacks. His job is to be in coverage and not defense any passes. I heard it's the new age of the OLB.
    Last edited by Steeldude; 01-16-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

With his physical ability, it has to be intelligence, or lack there of. He will be replaced for next season is my bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    With his physical ability, it has to be intelligence, or lack there of. He will be replaced for next season is my bet.
    Instinct, desire, effort, football IQ... could be one or multiple.
    Hater = Realist

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I think Bud is going to get Joey Porter fired. Maybe there's a coach out there that can bring him to a better level?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I'll be surprised if his 5th year option is exercised. He definitely hasn't come close to playing up to his potential

So yeah, BUST

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

He's not where he should be, but not a 'bust'. The Jarvis comparisons are not comparable at all. He's solid, he'll have good games and bad games. I don't view him as the problem. Also the coaching staff seem fine with Dupree.

I say pick up his 5th year option, and if he doesn't take a big leap you can cut him since the 5th year isn't guaranteed.

The problem with cutting him (or anyone, or firing any coaches) is we have to replace him. If we try to replace him with another JJones and there is less production on that side we are in a worse spot. Same goes for any position. That is why I feel we need to get a FA safety (a proven commodity) and draft an ILB then OLB. Probably keep Bud for one more year and hope the draftee can replace him at the end of the season or at the very least next season.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Where are VW and Spence trying to get to on that play? The get caught up with blockers by flowing to a gap that the RB has already passed. Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but in addition to Dupree getting put on his butt, VW and Spence are basically spectators on the play. One of your LBs just absolutely has to make that play somewhere besides 10+ yards downfield.

I think the idea was Dupree was supposed to set the edge and make the runner turn up the field were VW was going, but since Dupree took himself out of the play, VW was in the wrong spot and behind in pursuit.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

There was a discussion on these boards approximately a month and a half ago regarding Dupree. Many indicated his play has been sub-par or worse, as did I, as he just seemed to never be in on the action during a game. He was basically invisible to my eye during many of the games, either getting pushed out of the way easily on runs to his side, or when he rushed the passer he tried to go outside and would be easily pushed further wide away from the QB by the right tackle.

Some posters indicated that he was playing fine and was dropping in coverage often and handling his assignments. I conceded that maybe he was not playing as bad as he appeared, as honestly, I do not sit there and watch Dupree exclusively during a game to see exactly what he was doing........I just know that he rarely jumped out at all during a game, and when I did notice him he was getting pushed out of the play consistently.

I did watch him more intensely over the last few weeks, and nothing I saw made me think I was wrong in my original assessment of him this season. He does very little positive from what I have seen, and just kind of seems to be going through the motions out there or is unsure of what to do. He has all the traits athletically, but it does not seem to really translate on the football field.

I do not think the team should pick up his 5th year option at $9M at all. No way is he worth that at this point. Let him play out the 4th year and see where he is at after next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    The problem with cutting him (or anyone, or firing any coaches) is we have to replace him. If we try to replace him with another JJones and there is less production on that side we are in a worse spot. Same goes for any position. That is why I feel we need to get a FA safety (a proven commodity) and draft an ILB then OLB. Probably keep Bud for one more year and hope the draftee can replace him at the end of the season or at the very least next season.
    You can replace Dupree with anyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Where are VW and Spence trying to get to on that play? The get caught up with blockers by flowing to a gap that the RB has already passed. Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but in addition to Dupree getting put on his butt, VW and Spence are basically spectators on the play. One of your LBs just absolutely has to make that play somewhere besides 10+ yards downfield.
    They're average to below average LBs too.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Looking at Bud's 2015 season and 2017 season(2016 only played 7 games), he has a total of 10 sacks, 66 tackles, 2 passes defended, and 1 fumble recovery. If you had these stats going back to his draft, would you redraft him in the first? If the answer is no, the he is a bust.

Dupree was the player I wanted in that draft. I just knew we had drafted a great player. Now, I wouldn't be much surprised if he doesn't get his 5th year. I expect he will because there's nobody else to play there, but he won't be getting a long term contract after this. So, yes, in my eyes, Dupree is a bust.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Dupree "gets" his 5th year option because it essentially doesn't cost the Steelers anything besides cap accounting to do that. 5th year options are not guaranteed cash and I believe the player can be cut at any time after the option is picked up with little to no "dead money" issues cap wise.

Long story short, Dupree has enough raw ability to take another roll of the dice on him. If he stinks in 2018, then you can release him with little to no consequences other than being back to square one at the position.

The hope is that Bud Dupree (https://www.pro-football-reference.c...D/DuprAl00.htm) takes the same leap someother 1st round edge rushers have. Nick Perry (https://www.pro-football-reference.c...P/PerrNi00.htm) and Melvin Ingram (https://www.pro-football-reference.c...I/IngrMe00.htm) are the two that I have in mind.

Compared to those two players, this year (upcoming 2018) season is the year Dupree either turns the corner and becomes a double digit edge rusher or the year he continues down the track of useful but flawed former first round pick (Mingo, Gholson, etc)

Time to look for a replacement.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    He's not where he should be, but not a 'bust'. The Jarvis comparisons are not comparable at all. He's solid, he'll have good games and bad games. I don't view him as the problem. Also the coaching staff seem fine with Dupree.

I say pick up his 5th year option, and if he doesn't take a big leap you can cut him since the 5th year isn't guaranteed.
    Are you 100% sure the 5th year isn't guaranteed? I thought once the deadline passes and we pick it up, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerchad View Post
    Are you 100% sure the 5th year isn't guaranteed? I thought once the deadline passes and we pick it up, it is.
    Yes and no.

https://frontofficefootball.wordpres...h-year-option/
    "When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s opening-day Active/Inactive roster of the option year, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury."

So if they pick up the option (for 2019) in 2018 (when they need to do it - I think) the Steelers are only on the hook if Dupree makes it out of the 2018 season and 2019 training camp on the roster. So plenty of time to have Dupree "earn" the option.

But I might have the timeline confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Yes and no.

https://frontofficefootball.wordpres...h-year-option/
    "When a team exercises the option, it becomes guaranteed for injury only. If the player is on the team’s opening-day Active/Inactive roster of the option year, his salary becomes fully guaranteed for skill, cap and injury."

So if they pick up the option (for 2019) in 2018 (when they need to do it - I think) the Steelers are only on the hook if Dupree makes it out of the 2018 season and 2019 training camp on the roster. So plenty of time to have Dupree "earn" the option.

But I might have the timeline confused.
    If that's the case, then it is a true club option and all the flexibility resides with the team. I'd book him, hope he plays great, and if he doesn't, part ways.