Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Bud Dupree a bust?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Is Bud Dupree a bust?

Of course we will keep him for the 2018 season. The question is, do you see him as a bust.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Of course we will keep him for the 2018 season. The question is, do you see him as a bust.
    Not yet, but he is teetering very close. 2018 is the make or break season for him. While I certainly wish that wasn't the case and this is not an attempt to make excuses, he would not be the first raw toolsy pass rusher to need 2-3 seasons to "break out" in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Not yet, but he is teetering very close. 2018 is the make or break season for him. While I certainly wish that wasn't the case and this is not an attempt to make excuses, he would not be the first raw toolsy pass rusher to need 2-3 seasons to "break out" in the NFL.
    I think he has "Busted" so far in his career, in terms of production from a 1st round pick. I don't see any other way to look at it. I certainly hope he turns that corner and becomes what we drafted him to be. Everybody hopes that happens. But, looking over the past 5 seasons, who has been that 'Monster' OLB game in and game out, season after season, for any team? Harrison, Freeney, Mathis, Peppers, are these guys a dying breed, or has the position evolved into something far more complicated than what it once was? As dominant a force as Von Miller was that SB year, he hasn't been front page since. I think maybe this has become less of a specialized role, and more of a 'Joker/hybrid' style position. Does Bud fit that role athletically, either? Part of that 'hybrid' would have to be the threat as a pass rusher. He just hasn't shown that ability yet.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think he has "Busted" so far in his career, in terms of production from a 1st round pick. I don't see any other way to look at it. I certainly hope he turns that corner and becomes what we drafted him to be. Everybody hopes that happens. But, looking over the past 5 seasons, who has been that 'Monster' OLB game in and game out, season after season, for any team? Harrison, Freeney, Mathis, Peppers, are these guys a dying breed, or has the position evolved into something far more complicated than what it once was? As dominant a force as Von Miller was that SB year, he hasn't been front page since. I think maybe this has become less of a specialized role, and more of a 'Joker/hybrid' style position. Does Bud fit that role athletically, either? Part of that 'hybrid' would have to be the threat as a pass rusher. He just hasn't shown that ability yet.
    Good point. There seem to be 3 routes a 1st round edge rusher can take:

1. Ball out from the jump. This is the Khalil Mack or Von Miller route.
    2. Just never launch. We'll call this the Jarvis Jones route.
    3. The late bloomer route. This is the path taken by Ingram, Perry, and a few others I can't remember right now.

So 2018 is the year that Dupree gets to demonstrate whether he is taking path 2 or 3. Since 3 has resulted in several double digit sack guys - I'm going to hold out optimism and not call definitive bust yet.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I still think we should try and move Bud inside, be a-little creative. We can still draft an OLB & Keion Adams was showing some good promise before being injured and he'll be back.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I still think we should try and move Bud inside, be a-little creative. We can still draft an OLB & Keion Adams was showing some good promise before being injured and he'll be back.
    Bud is the worst hand fighter in our entire front 7. Thats the opposite of what you want in an inside linebacker. He'll be washed out of even more plays than he is now
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well he sure isn't a superstar, if that was the other option.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I’m not a bud Dupree fan...but to try to compare his stats (sack wise) to a player like Harrison, it’s an apples and oranges type comparison with what Dupree has been asked to do and what Harrison was asked to do. Having said that, I’d like to see an upgrade at that position but with the way the cap is and what’s needed on this roster, it’s not an ideal thing to be the number one or two focus. So with that, he will probably get the option picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Not reaching his expectation.

Seems easy to block.

Havent seen him tackle for loss much.

Avg but leaning heavy towrds bust

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

When will the Steelers learn never draft a player with Dreadlocks ? Especially 1 picks on defense ? Please no more high picks on lb's and wr's with Dreadlocks.